You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Medieval 2: Total War Discussion
Moderated by SwampRat

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.4 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Medieval 2: Total War Discussion » M2TW on Steam, a couple questions, help please
Bottom
Topic Subject:M2TW on Steam, a couple questions, help please
ianitus
Legionary
posted 23 May 2014 20:34 EDT (US)         
Well first of all this is my first post, so hello to everyone and thanks in advance for your help. I recently acquired M2TW through the Steam network. It is a fun game so far, though perhaps missing some of the excitement of the Rome1 game. Anyway, I have a couple of questions that I was hoping someone here could help me with.
How do you minimize/exit to the desktop without exiting the game?
Also (and this is really annoying), when I do exit the game I cant reopen it without first restarting my computer because it says the Steam app is already running. Is there a way to close the app so I dont have to restart my machine? I have tried, but I am new to Windows 8 so maybe I have missed something.
One more thing, if thats ok, how do I unlock the game files so I can do a little mild modding?
Once again, thanks to anyone who can help me out here.
AuthorReplies:
SwampRat
M2TW Ladder Leader
posted 25 May 2014 04:48 EDT (US)     1 / 4       
I'm afraid I don't know those answers as they're all steam (and possibly Win8) specific. It might be worth looking on the steam support pages as if the game isn't closing properly then that's probably a Steam issue.

In other versions of Windows pressing Alt-Tab would have switched between programs - finding the task manager (which used to be available through control-alt-delete) could let you either close off the game if Steam wrongly thinks it's running or bring it back to the front if it genuinely is still running.
ianitus
Legionary
posted 25 May 2014 15:15 EDT (US)     2 / 4       
Thanks I'll try that ctrl-alt-delete to close the app.
SwampRat
M2TW Ladder Leader
posted 26 May 2014 05:38 EDT (US)     3 / 4       
There doesn't seem to be a more elegant solution I'm afraid:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/4780/discussions/0/864950106299494885/

Although it could perhaps be possible to bypass the launcher and launch the game directly (perhaps try clicking directly on the m2tw.exe file when Steam is open)

http://steamcommunity.com/app/4780/discussions/0/846943082514642617/ looks interesting
As does http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2500705

[This message has been edited by SwampRat (edited 05-26-2014 @ 05:39 AM).]

ianitus
Legionary
posted 26 May 2014 09:34 EDT (US)     4 / 4       
Yeah, the task manager works fine , i dunno why i didnt think of that in the first place. Alt-tab works to minimize the game, like you said it might. These are good enough solutions(or bandaids) to deal with Steam's faulty launcher. Thanks again. Thank you Swamp Rat.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames