You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Medieval 2 Strategy Discussion
Moderated by SwampRat

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.15 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Medieval 2 Strategy Discussion » priests-cardinals-bishops
Bottom
Topic Subject:priests-cardinals-bishops
ps4performer
Legionary
posted 24 April 2011 00:08 EDT (US)         
i have 2 questions:

1)how can i increase the piety of my cardinal? (only by executions of heretics?)

2)a)how can i turn more priests into cardinals?
b)it depends on their piety,their grade(priest,bishop) or the ''big guy'' chooses and decides?
c)and how can i ''affect'' his decision?
AuthorReplies:
SwampRat
M2TW Ladder Leader
posted 24 April 2011 07:20 EDT (US)     1 / 15       
All priests can gain experience by converting heathens, and sometimes by luck. So you can move your priests onto lands where your religion is weak (say <90%) and they'll convert away. Of course, there's also more of a risk of them being converted and going heretic...

There are only up to 12 cardinals at any time, I think it's mainly done on piety, but being friends with the pope might not hurt. If you want to influence your priests being made to cardinals, the easiest way is for other cardinals to 'meet with an accident' (such as tripping and falling onto your assassin's knife).
sebinshaolin
Legionary
posted 01 May 2011 09:36 EDT (US)     2 / 15       
Well Priest and bishops gain a quick increase i their level of piety, it has risks too since your priest may be turned heretic.

Another safe way to increase the piety of your priest is to send them to convert in provinces where it is below 90-80%.

But this will take time.

But who becomes a cardinal largely depends on the popes favor to your faction.

You can increase your favor by completing his missions without fail and by giving gifts to the papal states.Even if you have high standings there is a minimum required level of piety for the priests to become a cardinal.

Hope this helps
ps4performer
Legionary
posted 02 May 2011 04:28 EDT (US)     3 / 15       
ok thanks i got it. i have 2 more irrelevant questions and i don't want to open new thread.

1)i have put all my cities to auto manage-growth build policy but the majority of my generals have no loyalty.why is this happening?also they can move fast.for example my general in genoa wants 8 turns to move to milan!!!!

2)what the rally points on the campaign map do?
loose_the_arrows
Legionary
posted 02 May 2011 09:46 EDT (US)     4 / 15       
I don't recommend auto managing...but to each his own. Personally I think he AI makes poor choices in building and recruiting.

Now that I have said that...if you would like your generals to have more loyalty then send them into battle or marry them into the family. Although you are better off not inbreeding to much. If they aren't going to be on the move far from the capital but just in a city managing it then they shouldn't need really high loyalty...I think about 4 is the lowest before I worry. If it gets to low they are more likely to dip into the treasury while they are managing the city but they won't defect.

What path did your general decide to take that it would take him 8 turns? Sometimes if there is an enemy army in the way over a choke point such as a bridge or narrow gap of mountains when you click to move your army or agent the ai will take a path around that area instead of continuing on the shortest path because it is blocked. The best way to do this is either be happy with going around or attack the hostile forces and clear your road. That is the only reason I would think it would take that many turns.

Rally points are points on the map where your forces will converge....thats about all I know about them....I never use it.

"Men... must have corrupted nature a little, for they were not born wolves, and they have become wolves. God did not give them twenty-four-pounder cannons or bayonets, and they have made bayonets and cannons to destroy each other."
- Voltaire, Candide, Chapter 4
ps4performer
Legionary
posted 02 May 2011 15:16 EDT (US)     5 / 15       
usually the generals that marry my princess do that,i don't either prefer breeding.my generals have no stars in loyalty and this is the first time that is happening and i thought that the auto manage was responsible for that.believe it or not i milan and genoa are mine and there is noone in the bridge or close to that cities.my general choose to follow the short road but it appears a short arrow with many different colours.also when i put him in a city the population growth falls to -11.
loose_the_arrows
Legionary
posted 03 May 2011 00:50 EDT (US)     6 / 15       
I'm curious...would you mind listing his traits?

Sounds to me like the type of general I'd send on a suicide mission. Find the nearest enemy and have him attack. Take out as many as you can certainly but at the end make sure he is in a position to be surrounded and killed. Or you could put him in the field and hope by sending him into enough crazy battles against outnumbering rebels or something his stats will grow...your call. I'd just have him killed before he rebels though.

"Men... must have corrupted nature a little, for they were not born wolves, and they have become wolves. God did not give them twenty-four-pounder cannons or bayonets, and they have made bayonets and cannons to destroy each other."
ps4performer
Legionary
posted 03 May 2011 09:01 EDT (US)     7 / 15       
i got 6 guys like him.only one of them can cover big distances and i don't know why.also one of them has a trait king's right hand and simultaneously has 2 contrary traits rebel and you are not my king!

As for the guy in genoa and milan his name is Miguel de Segovia and has married one of my princesses,and with that guy i have conquered cagliari,ajaccio,genoa and milan.i begun his campaign from toledo and first put him in leon for increasing his piety then put him to my capital zaragoza to take higher education and then to valencia to take military education and converge his army.Then with full army lead him to cagliari.i hope the nearby inquisitor teach him a lesson the second time,because the first time was found innocent.THIS GUY IS A BIG LIE.:

command:0
dread:2
loyalty:0
piety:3

relatively healthy
administratively minded
promising commander
honest(yeah that's for sure)
religious
pilgrim to el camino de santiago
martial ties
logistics expert
unwatched by king
renowned victor
can tell a tale
looter
mean leader
rebel
you're NOT my king
feels appreciated(psychologically unstable)
army full supplied
troops weary
wide range foraging

[This message has been edited by ps4performer (edited 05-03-2011 @ 09:09 AM).]

loose_the_arrows
Legionary
posted 03 May 2011 12:12 EDT (US)     8 / 15       
I've never had this problem...or some of those really bad traits...all I can think to do is like I said...suicide him and certainly don't let him have time to breed....same with the other generals. Kill them all in one turn and you should get some candidates for adoption.

Also what are your kings traits?...I'm wondering if a weak king is causing this problem. I'm guessing at this point though. I've never had a loyalty under 3 stars....and I don't trust them with an army.

SwampRat
M2TW Ladder Leader
posted 04 May 2011 02:33 EDT (US)     9 / 15       
My guess is that maybe there are penalties for using automanage if you've picked up that many bad traits in several generals. Using your king in heroic battles etc might help increase loyalty by maintaining high authority (although I'm not quite sure what leads to that).

As for Genoa - it generally starts without even dirt paths and the ai often doesn't see upgrading the roads as important. Without good roads movement will be very slow and you'll really hamper trading. If you build up to paved roads then you ought to find things better in several ways. Good roads and trade ports, the best buildings to have (I find).
ps4performer
Legionary
posted 04 May 2011 13:43 EDT (US)     10 / 15       
both genoa and milan are large cities and i have constructed roads,only these generals do many turns to move from settlement to settlement.eith my king, who is now 55, from the age of 23 when he was faction heir and put him on the battlefield.i took him from zaragoza and add him to my african campaign against the moors along with my king (i don't remember his name) my general cristobal loarre and the ''family member'' miguel de segovia.with my prince i took oran,the crusade-called tunis,palermo,syracuse and when he became king i sent him as a general to my army in napoli.So he had crashed the sicilians and decided to rest him in palermo.and now his traits are:

King Millan the Lazy

command:0
dread:5
authority:8
piety:5

of aragonese blood
relatively healthy
biological son
military minded
basic western education
fertile
slave to superstition
vision to prophecy
martial ties
alcoholic
can tell a tale
well spoken
feels respected
renowned victor
merciless leader
aspiring commander
faction leader
political animal
politically strong
army fully suplied
inspires civil war
too comfortable
unconcerned
ready for action
StevenO
Legionary
posted 04 May 2011 16:48 EDT (US)     11 / 15       
I've never even heard of many of those traits much less actually seen them. What game mod are you playing?
loose_the_arrows
Legionary
posted 04 May 2011 17:17 EDT (US)     12 / 15       
Sounds like a crappy general mod.

I've never seen or heard of any of those either.

ps4performer
Legionary
posted 04 May 2011 18:14 EDT (US)     13 / 15       
stainless steel 6.1
malleebull
Legionary
posted 04 May 2011 23:25 EDT (US)     14 / 15       
I have been playing a Long Campaign of late as Spain.

Around turn 160/70 I sent a Caravel over to Brazil with a full army, two generals and four priests.

I had trained them at Leon which has a Huge Cathedral and a Theologians HQ. So when they had been trained they were pretty good.

I sent them over to Brazil and within 4 turns, not only had the countryside been converted to over 75% (it was obviously 0% Catholic when my ships arrived), three of these priests had been upgraded to Cardinals due to movement in the College of Cardinals (one of them died due to old age).

Certainly, having priests placed in distant lands allows for rapid piety bonues and elevation to Cardinal.
SwampRat
M2TW Ladder Leader
posted 05 May 2011 02:13 EDT (US)     15 / 15       
ahh, StainlessSteel explains it. I should have seen the supply traits there.

You've got options turned on that take into account food supplies and how active armies have been. The 'weary army' trait is probably what's slowing your general down. "inspires civil war" probably isn't a good trait for a king. I'd guess there's a logic to the traits but I'm not an expert on SS.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames