You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Medieval 2: Kingdoms Discussion
Moderated by SwampRat

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.1 reply
Total War Heaven » Forums » Medieval 2: Kingdoms Discussion » Culture in the Britannia campaign and premature deaths
Bottom
Topic Subject:Culture in the Britannia campaign and premature deaths
Brutus93
Legionary
posted 03 June 2011 15:55 EDT (US)         
I recently got back into Kingdoms and tried a Norweigan campaign which was far too easy (I gave up once I'd conquered Scotland and Northern Ireland and realised that Northern England was undefended- needless to say the Norweigans weren't the challenge I had expected) before finally settling on an England campaign, another supposedly difficult faction. Instead of trying to hold out in Ireland, I destroyed all the buildings in my Irish settlements and disbanded any troops too far away to make it to the boats in the first turn and set sail for Wales. I took Caernarvon in the third turn and Montgomery shortly after, which deprived the Welsh of their last family member causing Pembroke to go rebel. Anyway, I took Pembroke, spent a few turns taking out the rebels that were the remnants of the Welsh armies that had been in the field when their faction was destroyed and then I set off for Ireland.

Now, normally when I have a relatively secure homeland, I put most of my settlements (bar my troop factories and main trading cities) on auto-build, but wary of the Baron's Alliance I continued to micro-manage. It was at this point I realised that Welsh culture had gone up not only in my Welsh territories (understandable as even though the faction was gone, it was still Wales) but also my other territories. Even London, which at one point was 100% English, had 4% Welsh and to add insult to injury, 2% Noreweigan.

I know that culture in Kingdoms is affected by loads of factors. The size of the settlement's garrison, what character is governor of that settlemnet, any spies in that settlement and so forth, but what would cause a settlement in the heart of England to gain Welsh and even Norweigan culture? I thought it might be trade, so not just overland but also sea trade as that would probably explain the Welsh influence, but I'm pretty sure that London wasn't trading with the Orkney Islands or Northern Scotland. I doubt it would be a spy either as surely they would spy on one of my more Northern settlements. Perhaps it is just random and happens overtime if you don't have a huge garrison? Any thoughts or does anyone know for sure?

Also, another thing that I assume happens to alot of people in Kingdoms. The NPC never does it, but I always find myeslf wiping out a faction despite them still having the majority of their starting territories. In my English campaign I wiped out Norway after taking Castle Town, despite them having most of their territories left. I guess it's because their King is pretty old so dies quickly while their Prince starts with no heirs, but I've also wiped out Wales prematurely before and Egypt in a Crusades campaign. A suicidal march through Egypt towards Cairo resulted in the destruction of Egypt while they still had all their Western and Southern provinces (this instance was probably more of a fluke than anything though).

I'm assuming this is because the family members are placed in areas the AI is programmed not to attcak striaght away, for example, I've only ever seen the AI attack Castle Town later on in the game, by which point the Norweigans have expanded their family tree or adopted. While some might consider it a boon though, I always find it annoying, as it takes the fun out of most campaigns. When you only have a small number of factions to begin with, losing one and then only hvaing to take over rebel provinces can be boring and gives you a huge advantage. Also, in my English campaign, I was relying on Norway holding off Scotland until I'd taken Ireland; I didn't think taking Castle Town would ruin them as badly as it did. Does everyone else experience this? I'm guessing the only way to stop it from happening is not attacking your enemy's capital or heartland early on.

Finally, one more issue. Are there other ways to get the Baron's Alliance to emerge besides low loyalty generals and settlements with low public order? It still has yet to appear and I'm guessing the Baron's Alliance is what makes the English campaign so challenging (so far it's been a walk in the park).

Looking back, all of these things make me think that not much thought went into the development of kingdoms.
AuthorReplies:
Scarab25
Legionary
posted 12 June 2011 11:45 EDT (US)     1 / 1       
I've seen the same thing with factions being destroyed whilst still owning a few settlements, and the case of Egypt collapsing when you take Cairo. I think it's because factions like Norway start out with more generals than settlements or an almost equal number, so they don't get adoptions or anything so the family tree does not expand as fast as it does for other factions - thus, there are less generals to kill to destroy the faction.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst (and use this phrase to justify your actions when it goes wrong)
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames