You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Technical Help and Bug Reporting

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.4 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Technical Help and Bug Reporting » RTW encountered an unspecified error and will now exit
Bottom
Topic Subject:RTW encountered an unspecified error and will now exit
gneralchronic420
Legionary
posted 12 August 2017 10:33 EDT (US)         
Hello!

When ever I try to open RTW the message of my subject pops up immediately. I got the game through steam and am going to request a refund if I can't figure this out but some one help! I haven't a clue what to do. I'm on windows 10 and I am an administrator, which it seems like the only solution I have found on the forums. Thanks for any advice.
AuthorReplies:
General Sajaru
Tribunus Laticlavius
posted 13 August 2017 15:26 EDT (US)     1 / 4       
My first suggestion would be to verify the integrity of your game files, then uninstall and re-install. It's been a while since I installed RTW through Steam on a Windows 10 computer, so I don't recall off the top of my head what hoops I had to jump through. I will definitely go back and see if there was anything I specifically remember having issues with and post it here.

Edit: Have you tried turning off the Anti-Aliasing in the Preferences file? I know that caused issues for me. See reply #3 on this thread for how to do that (though since you have a Steam copy, you can ignore the part about copying the preferences file over).

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
"I like my enemies like James Bond likes his martinis- shaken, not stirred."
My first book, The King's Own

[This message has been edited by General Sajaru (edited 08-13-2017 @ 03:29 PM).]

gneralchronic420
Legionary
posted 13 August 2017 16:44 EDT (US)     2 / 4       
Hey thanks for the reply! I'm trying to reinstall. I am kinda a tard when it comes to computers so where do I find the alias options? I went to preferences in steam and didn't see anything.
General Sajaru
Tribunus Laticlavius
posted 13 August 2017 20:42 EDT (US)     3 / 4       
It's the Preferences.txt file for the game itself. You'd find most likely find it in C:\Program Files\steamapps\common\Rome Total War Gold\preferences (the precise path may be a little different, depending upon where you have Steam installed). Once you've opened the Preferences.txt file, search "AA_Quality" and change it to "AA_OFF". With a little luck, if the reinstall doesn't work, that'll clear up further issues.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
General Sajaru
Tribunus Laticlavius
posted 19 August 2017 22:21 EDT (US)     4 / 4       
I just had to reinstall RTW on Windows 10 and encountered the same issue. I eventually discovered that it stemmed from not having any headphones plugged into the computer. Just plug in some headphones or a speaker and you should be good to go.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames