You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome II Total War Intro Forum
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.13 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome II Total War Intro Forum » Do you play like a perfectionist?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Do you play like a perfectionist?
Aftermath
HG Alumnus
posted 20 August 2013 05:35 EDT (US)         
I confess, I'm a bit of a perfectionist. I hate it when stuff goes wrong. When it comes to the Total War games, I have always been pretty liberal with the Save and Load feature.

When I played Napoleon (pretty much all of the hours I spent on that game were in my Hessian campaign) I was quick saving and loading constantly, I needed to correct my mistakes that way just to survive amidst France and Prussia and Austria. Shogun 2 was the same, If I lose a battle I feel like I should've won or move an army out of a city only for the enemy to sweep in and snatch it I tend to reload.

But... When I played Fall of the Samurai I tried not to and it was fun (albeit sometimes frustrating). So what about you guys? Do you fix your tactical and strategical errors using the save and load?

For sure I'll be doing it on my first play through R2 as I learn the game, but after that I think I'll try to deal with the consequences of my, and the Ai, actions.

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
AuthorReplies:
SwampRat
M2TW Ladder Leader
posted 20 August 2013 07:17 EDT (US)     1 / 13       
I quite like to allow things to go wrong - within reason. There have been times where I've remembered to save before an auto-save that gives a crazy result, say a major army disbanding because it apparently lost to a couple of militia units and not having a good place to retreat to, and reloading there I think is fair game; I'm not above reloading at other times though.

If you don't try to hit perfection at every point you can potentially get a more engaging game where you get a particular setback to overcome / enemy to annihilate that you genuinely have a grudge against - less relevant if you're talking about something that would knock you out of the game entirely. If the AI is too random or inconsistent then that wouldn't leave much point in letting it take its course either

I'll have the benefit of hindsight with R2 as you chaps will have been playing and talking about it for a while before I get my grubby hands on it
Legion Of Hell
Centurion
posted 20 August 2013 10:18 EDT (US)     2 / 13       
At first I saved and load when things went wrong. But then I realized that in ancient times empires/states didn't have that option. So I simply let it play out and make sure I didn't suffer defeats on the battlefield or get outflanked on the campaign map.

General Rawlinson- This is most unsatisfactory. Where are the Sherwood Foresters? Where are the East Lancashires on the right?

Brigadier-General Oxley- They are lying out in No Man's Land, sir. And most of them will never stand again.

Two high ranking British generals discussing the fortunes of two regiments after the disastrous attack at Aubers Ridge on the 9th May 1915.
DominicusUltimus
Legate
posted 20 August 2013 10:33 EDT (US)     3 / 13       
I usually have multiple saves and save often when I'm playing mods like EB or TATW where CTDs are a semi-regular occurrence, but I rarely do so when playing a Vanilla or Darthmodded game.

I like to roll with whatever punches the game and the AI give me unless something happens that makes me feel like I've been cheated (like a group of militia hoplites beating an army of veteran legionnaires in an autoresolved battle). I actually love it when the AI manages to surprise me and attack somewhere where my forces are too far out of position to intercept them before they can hurt me.

Hoping the AI will be just as good, if not better, than Shogun 2's so it can give me a good fight and make victory taste all the more sweeter when I finally burn his capital to the ground

"Life is more fun when you are insane. Just let go occasionally".- yakcamkir 12:14
"It is not numbers, but vision that wins wars." - Antiochus VII Sidetes
"My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel Grayhair
Angel of Total War: Rome II Heaven and the Total War: Attila Forums
SwampRat
M2TW Ladder Leader
posted 20 August 2013 13:26 EDT (US)     4 / 13       
DU, I agree on the AI - but I'm slightly disappointed to hear that the AI getting more impressive on higher difficulty settings is tied in with changing bonuses. I intend to play on 'normal' to start with, assuming that's the most level playingfield - how about the rest of you? Going in at Legendary to prove you're old hands at the RTW lark?
Aftermath
HG Alumnus
posted 20 August 2013 13:28 EDT (US)     5 / 13       
I usually go in at Hard, but I'll be on the tutorial first to gauge just how much different it is from Shogun 2. Might be that I need to set it to medium, at least at first, to get used to the line of sight and other new goodies.

A f t y

A A R S

DominicusUltimus
Legate
posted 20 August 2013 13:39 EDT (US)     6 / 13       
DU, I agree on the AI - but I'm slightly disappointed to hear that the AI getting more impressive on higher difficulty settings is tied in with changing bonuses.
Same, but from I've heard the bonuses won't be as considerable as they were in past game. The one that stood out the most to me, was that the AI would get a boost to diplomacy and relations with other factions while the player would start out neutral without either a bonus or a handicap (unless they're playing a faction that's meant to start with negative relations with others like Epirus).

As for the difficulty level, I'm gonna play through the tutorial first then start a Hard/Hard game with Rome. The odds will be slightly stacked against me, but I'm hoping it'll help make my first Rome 2 campaign even more memorable.

"Life is more fun when you are insane. Just let go occasionally".- yakcamkir 12:14
"It is not numbers, but vision that wins wars." - Antiochus VII Sidetes
"My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel Grayhair
Angel of Total War: Rome II Heaven and the Total War: Attila Forums
Scipii
TWH Seraph
posted 20 August 2013 13:45 EDT (US)     7 / 13       
I will probably end up modding the AI bonuses anyway at some point, or downloading said modification. I find it kind of ridiculous that there is no difficulty level where neither the AI nor player is advantaged. Normal difficulty still hampers the AI's abilities a little, which might be alright if there were a "true" difficulty level or something. Instead it is either that or Hard difficulty where the AI loses its mental handicap but also gains other bonuses.

As long as the AI does not begin doing ridiculous non-sensical things, such as pulling Vetted armies out of it's behind with no logical reasoning to back said ability up. I wouldn't mind if they actually had the infrastructure built to support recruiting veteran soldiers.

Usually I do not bother with saving and reloading. Adding a bit of pressure to my each and every decision is quite worth it, personally anyhow.
Aftermath
HG Alumnus
posted 21 August 2013 08:28 EDT (US)     8 / 13       
I'm actually surprised at the answers here, I honestly thought more people would be savers and loaders when they made errors. I think S2 made my habit worse, I was too attached to Uesugi Kenshin's wellbeing

A f t y

A A R S

EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 21 August 2013 09:05 EDT (US)     9 / 13       
I am distinctly a Save Scummer, if it helps I'll roll sometimes, but only if it makes things more entertaining- if it's something I feel I should have won I'm going to reload.

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
Jetkill Fastmurder
Legionary
(id: Mayank Sharma)
posted 21 August 2013 09:42 EDT (US)     10 / 13       
I save mostly before battles when I go for a gamble, like taking on Napoleon's half stack of elite units with a stack of militias, and load again and again till I win.

"Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor" - Alexis Carrel
Dawn of Fantasy Heaven Census II
Scipii
TWH Seraph
posted 21 August 2013 10:51 EDT (US)     11 / 13       
Imperfection is a sign of weakness, and weakness shall not be tolerated by the Chapter of the Iron Hands . Why else would this one autosave only phenomenon be called Ironman mode, or as I would entitle it in a W40K game... Iron Hands mode.

To be honest, half the reason why I do not Save Scum is because I usually quite often forget to save at stages where I should. The other half is my confidence in my ability to turn events around should I suffer a setback and my fortunes start heading southwards. With reloading I would never experience some of the epic dramas I have. Such as defeating three whole stacks of Takeda as the Uesugi in one last stand at my capital, with the battle's result coming down to the actions of one sole heroic Ashigaru Archer.
Andalus
Legionary
posted 21 August 2013 16:13 EDT (US)     12 / 13       
I am a terminal perfectionist. I've been known to replay battles simply because I took a few more casualties than I'd have liked. I do have my limits; as often as possible I try to accept my fate, but for the most part I like to have fun, and for me, that isn't just about taking part.

I hope to improve my ways with Rome II, now that natural disasters have returned - the more random bad things happening, the harder it is to escape them.
Lenardius VII
Legionary
posted 21 August 2013 18:09 EDT (US)     13 / 13       
I only save battles before and after them. If I can't win them I result into using autosaves if have to go back a turn or two. I can handle loses or setbacks.

I still save a few times

"Maybe someday we could become friends. Friends who ride majestic, translucent steeds, shooting flaming arrows across the bridge of Hemdale."
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames