You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.19 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » 1.2 marius reforms???
Bottom
Topic Subject:1.2 marius reforms???
Themistocles472
Legionary
posted 06 February 2005 20:04 EDT (US)         
Does anybody have any idea what triggers them in 1.2?? If nobody knows for sure we should all post up the circumstances when the reform hit to try and piece it together. I recently started a vh/vh julii campiagn and I hope to hit the reforms within a few days. They hinted at the reforms being more likely to come later in the campaign, correct?
AuthorReplies:
Darth Utilizer
Legionary
posted 06 February 2005 20:09 EDT (US)     1 / 19       
wait...they changed it from imperial palace?

interesting.

"You know, Moms and Dads these days are like the Democratic Party: lame, spineless and not holding up their end of the equation. And kids are like the Republicans: drunk with power and out of control." -Bill Maher
The Crazy Person
Legionary
posted 06 February 2005 20:14 EDT (US)     2 / 19       
They probably (although I honestly don't know) changed it to the construction of an Urban Barracks, since people were getting the Marius reforms so early in the game.

Generalissimo TCP | FREE SYRIA!
Xaph's Forumer of the Year '08, Best Thread and Most likely to be sigged, '08
"I think George W. Bush is closer to being the single greatest president in US history" - Merai
Darth Utilizer
Legionary
posted 06 February 2005 20:16 EDT (US)     3 / 19       
seems apt to change it. i got mine near 245 bc.

so it was actually uban barracks?

"You know, Moms and Dads these days are like the Democratic Party: lame, spineless and not holding up their end of the equation. And kids are like the Republicans: drunk with power and out of control." -Bill Maher
Roman General
posted 06 February 2005 20:22 EDT (US)     4 / 19       
I think we should just post the circumstances under which the reforms happen, like Themistocles stated, since none of us seem to know for sure when it happened.

ΧΊ°”˜`”°ΊΧ
(―`·._.·[ ]·._.·΄―)
Oº°¨¨°ºO Roman General Oº°¨¨°ºO
––––•(-• •-)•––––
R.I.P. Kayla Renee Winterfeldt; born 28th of October 2004, died 28th of October 2004
In peace, sons bury thier fathers; in war, fathers bury thier sons. -- Herodotus
Koranis
Legionary
posted 06 February 2005 21:29 EDT (US)     5 / 19       
The urban barracks let you train Triarii Exp 1, so it's not it. Also the Circus Maximus allows you to train Equites Exp 2, so I think that 1.2 lets you go ahead for some time with the imperial palace and its buildings before the marius reforms occur. It can't be a certain date because I'm at 220 BC and nothing happened. I really hope it's not 107 BC, the real date of the event though!

I don't remember who, but someone dug up an interesting line from one of the game files that hinted some hidden sources referring to places: Sparta, Rome and Italy. Now, we know that Sparta is the exclusive training site for Spartan Hoplites and that Rome is the place where you can train the First Cohort now, so these are covered. But Italy? My guess is that there must be 3 imperial palaces in Italy, one for each family, or even 4, including the Senate. We'll see...

guy6324
Legionary
posted 07 February 2005 00:12 EDT (US)     6 / 19       
The patch says that the Marius reforms happen at a random time after the player builds an Imperial Palace.
Themistocles472
Legionary
posted 07 February 2005 00:20 EDT (US)     7 / 19       
I didn't catch it saying that it would be random. But, even if they do say it's random, is it really? Is it totally random or does it depend on what is happening in the game...my bet would be that it still has triggers.
Koranis
Legionary
posted 07 February 2005 01:30 EDT (US)     8 / 19       
Wrong, guy6324. See the construction catalogue of the 1.2. You'll see what the Imperial Palace-depending buildings can train, and you'll see advanced versions of Triarii and Equites. The marius reforms are now triggered by something else, or better, more on the same line.
Jax
HG Monument
(id: Jax Omen)
posted 07 February 2005 05:57 EDT (US)     9 / 19       
Playing as the SPQR, I have 2 huge cities (Rome and Carthage) by 243 bc, so its probably not triggered by buildings.

Maybe it depends on how much land the Romans own?

house won this
Scipii
TWH Seraph
posted 07 February 2005 06:49 EDT (US)     10 / 19       
I found a file that displays how many turns it normally takes for events to happen. For the marius it around 144 turns, to find the file look in the imperial campiange folder and look around for a file with event dates.

Also who reckons Egypt rules, because I bet this top player in a 2 vs 2 match. Firstly he kick my but then I kicked his but.
Also I was Carthage first and the the Scipii second when I won. If u want to fight against me my game name is The Scipii.
(because I couldn't get Scipii)

Old Celt
Legionary
posted 07 February 2005 08:32 EDT (US)     11 / 19       
The conditions for triggering the reforms are:
Imperial Palace on the Italian peninsula
Will not trigger until 220 BC or later

HTH

exe1
Legionary
posted 07 February 2005 08:40 EDT (US)     12 / 19       
Oh. I had my plan laid out as the Brutii, everything was timed perfectly, and this happens. Now I guess I have to hit end turn another 20 times. oh well.
Koranis
Legionary
posted 07 February 2005 09:48 EDT (US)     13 / 19       
Old Celt,

thanks. This is indeed a bad news for me. I like playing very slowly and 220 BC is to early for me. I like the early legions to much, I think. Is it hard coded, or, to your knowledge, is it possible to change that date in one of the game files?

Lasha
Legionary
posted 07 February 2005 10:21 EDT (US)     14 / 19       
I have heard that the imperial palace has to be built on the italian peninsula, but not in Rome. It also has to be at least 220. I have also heard rumours that it is also has something to do with the territories that you or the other families control.

But these are only rumours.

■L■■A■■S■■H■■A■

[This message has been edited by MyArse (edited 20-08-2009 @ 19:50 PM).]
Old Celt
Legionary
posted 07 February 2005 10:24 EDT (US)     15 / 19       
No, the only conditions are the ones I stated. It is clearly spelled out by CA staff members on "that other site". Don't know if it's moddable, but as it stands now, it will be 220 BC or later.
Mcbashin
Legionary
posted 07 February 2005 20:50 EDT (US)     16 / 19       
Messana counts too. My last Marius was triggered by the Scipii building an Imperial Palace in Messana.
Themistocles472
Legionary
posted 07 February 2005 20:56 EDT (US)     17 / 19       
I should be able to test this (and proably prove celt right) for myself by tomorrow. It is ~235 bc right now and my largest city (Patavium) has a population of nearly 22,000. I'll hopefully time it so I get the imperial palace before 220 bc....then wait and check at 220.
1ArCHeR1
Legionary
posted 08 February 2005 13:53 EDT (US)     18 / 19       
What counts as italian? Sicily? Corsica/Sardinia? Massilia, Mediolanium, Patavium, and/or Segesta?

"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun, than you can with just a kind word." -The Coolest New Yorker (Robert DeNiro)
<A><R>
Themistocles472
Legionary
posted 08 February 2005 13:57 EDT (US)     19 / 19       
I would guess segest, mediolanium, and patavium would count as well as the other five. Hope they count. Especially since the julii largest city is very often patavium.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames