You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.11 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Winning the game???
Bottom
Topic Subject:Winning the game???
khariV
Legionary
posted 19 May 2005 19:28 EDT (US)         
Well, just to start this out - I'll go ahead and admit that this is a bit of a rant...

I am playing though my first Julii full campaign and I had eliminated everyone except the various Roman factions (Senate, Scipii, Brutii). So I decided to start a Roman Civil war and start taking them out. Well I conquer Rome and get the 30 second animation declaring me master of Rome and asking me if I want to continue. No problem there, nice animation.

The problem I have is I then proceeded to wipe out the other factions (turning the ENTIRE map red) and now Im basically done. What do I get for my efforts - NOTHING. I cant believe that CA would put out a game with absolutely no end of game nothing. No full screen animation ("you conquered the entire known world"), no summary screen ("here's a summary of your empire, the battles you fought, best generals, economic & military summaries, etc."), no nothing. The only thing I can do at this point is just quit to the main menu and start over. Unless of course I want to keep watching my cities grow and fighting the occasional barbarian rebel in Germany and Spain.

I'd think that after playing a game for weeks and weeks on end that I'd at least get a thanks for playing all the way through. This stupid little animation you get from conquering Rome is beyond anti-climactic.

Arghhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/rant]

AuthorReplies:
RTS_GamerGuy
Legionary
posted 19 May 2005 19:34 EDT (US)     1 / 11       
Im not sure Creative Assembaly really thought anyone would be dedicated enough to conquer the whole map.

I smell mod? Eh? Anyone? Make it so there's something special at the end? Eh?

Marvin: I ache therefore I am. Or, in my case, I am therefore I ache. Oh look, I appear to be lying in the bottom of a very deep hole. That seems a familiar concept, what does it remind me of? Ah, yes. Life. ~Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy Radio Show
KaiserWinterfeldt
Legionary
(id: Night_Raider)
posted 19 May 2005 19:35 EDT (US)     2 / 11       
You have to remember that the victory condition is only to capture Rome and 50 provinces. You really weren't intended to conquer the entire map, and so CA decided there wasn't a reason to put in a supreme graphic "OoOoOhHhHh AaAaAaHhHhHh You conquered the entire map, yipee!" Besides, imo after you win, the game gets boring so there's no motivation for me to conquer the rest of the map. I can't say if that's true for everybody, but it is for me.

(―`•._.•[ .:^:. ]•._.•΄―)
¨‘°ΊO.:.OΊ°‘¨
KaiserWinterfeldt ¨‘°ΊO.:.OΊ°‘¨
R.I.P. Kayla Renee Winterfeldt & Jet Jetboy Winterfeldt
(―`•._.•[ .::. ]•._.•΄―)
(―`•.__.•΄―)
(―v―)
OvidinExile
Legionary
posted 19 May 2005 20:05 EDT (US)     3 / 11       
The 49 provinces + Rome 'win' is highly artificial anyway. I've done it with other factions, and so has most everyone else. Right now with the Scipii I'm at the 45 province stage -including Rome, and 3 other provinces will fall to me next turn.

I'll get to the 49 +Rome 'win' sometime soon. But so what? I've pretty much knocked the Julii out of the game, but the Brutii still have some huge forces coming at me. So I'll win the game while still at war with a strong faction. This makes no sense to me. After I become Imperator does everyone fall to their knees and grovel? Do the Brutii say 'hey ovid just got to fifty so we had better call it a day'?

My point is forget about the games victory conditions. Decide for yourself when you call it a win. In my case it would only be 'realistic' when I inflict some heavy losses on the Brutii and assume they would be weakened enough to negotiate. In other cases you might have 40 cities but be so dominant the next 10 are a stroll.

ps: it really narks me that the AI is so devoid of campaign strategy that the civil war can be won so easily-even if ot takes a while. I should not have been able to knock out the Julii so easily. I'm only a player of average skill, so even an average AI should cause me more problems.

So forget about the 'victory' stuff and just enjoy the game.

regards

Ichbinian
Legionary
posted 19 May 2005 20:17 EDT (US)     4 / 11       
With the Julii, I was tenacious and conquered the whole map. It was very fun, I say.

Ichbinian
Oldie from RTWH!
khariV
Legionary
posted 19 May 2005 20:20 EDT (US)     5 / 11       

Quote:

it really narks me that the AI is so devoid of campaign strategy that the civil war can be won so easily-even if ot takes a while. I should not have been able to knock out the Julii so easily. I'm only a player of average skill, so even an average AI should cause me more problems.

I agree completely. By the time I got around to the Brutii and the Scipii, my armies were composed of Urban Cohorts, Praetorian Cavalry and high-skill generals. The other Roman factions had TONS of troops / armies, but they were all really old, low quality units. The Brutii for example had probably 15 full stack armies in Greece - but they were all comprised of Principes, Hastati, and Triarii. They were really no challenge at all. Furthermore, there was really no reason at all they should have stopped in Greece. As long as it took me to subdue Gaul and Spain, they should have owned Asia Minor and been beating on Egypt.

As for the "win" conditions - I agree they're a bit arbitrary. I'd personally like to see some sort of option like in other games where you say "Im done now - how did I do?" You could then get a status screen or something. Maybe even something scripted and generic like in Pirates! where you see your accomplishments and your "place in history" - just anything other than - "Im done, I'll quit back to the main menu and start again now because Im done / bored."

Kaidonni
Legionary
posted 20 May 2005 05:08 EDT (US)     6 / 11       
People say mod...well, since as I'm studying animation at uni, I could sometime in the summer, well, making an animation for a finished movie. Might not be computer animation, but would it matter? Or perhaps sometime I could make an animation for the very end?

(\_/)
(X.x)---------
()> <()
\/\/\/\/\/\
\/\/\/\/\/\/\
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\This is Bunny roasting on an open fire. Yummy!
meb
Legionary
posted 20 May 2005 06:36 EDT (US)     7 / 11       
i think the best way to finish the game is to suround rome with your armies, then go on to conquer the world, and when your done, take rome.

this way the game "continues" and it will end when you take rome thus giving you the little animation to finish things off...

..ive actually only finished 1 campaign so far.. really need to get out (of work) more so i can complete the game again!

Primus Pilus
Legionary
posted 20 May 2005 06:39 EDT (US)     8 / 11       

@ Kaidonni: Great! I’d love to see something cool in stop motion (like in Sinbad’s seventh voyage or clash of the titans)! Or maybe – since you’re right behind me – we could film a little re-enactment szene...

P.P.

Draigh
Legionary
posted 20 May 2005 14:04 EDT (US)     9 / 11       

Quote:

The problem I have is I then proceeded to wipe out the other factions (turning the ENTIRE map red) and now Im basically done. What do I get for my efforts - NOTHING.

You know what? Try that again with Mundus Magnus.

Anyway, I always stop even before those 50 cities or the civil war. I get bored when it's too easy to take more cities, usually after 20 or so (which depends on the civilization). By now I hope it's a bit more of a challenge in MM, as the factions you come across usually are more powerful than in vanilla RTW.

Outoi sunechthein,
Alla sunphilein ephun
- Antigonθ

Not to hate,
But to Love I was born

NA Lord Blaine
Legionary
posted 20 May 2005 14:58 EDT (US)     10 / 11       
whenever i am rome, i try to conquor the real roman empire, but much faster, but with out a mod, there isno full mesopotamia to conquor...if i conquor an extera teritory than rome had in order to kill of a faction, i give it to a weak enemy like scythia or numidia or if it is big, i keep it till i am neer the end.

and when do most ppl conquor the other roman civs? wht year?
bc the scipi suck on vh/vh
i conquored carthrage, and they have goten nothing, i might even go and conquor them only less than 50 years after start of game.

––––––––––•(-• ₤ o r d B l a i n Ʃ •-)•––––––––––
RTWH | ETWH | OD [ Hark Upon the Gale ] [―――――]†λ†[―――――]
«Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding.»
~Albert Einstein
LUCIUS ARTORIUS
Legionary
posted 20 May 2005 16:58 EDT (US)     11 / 11       
khariV you are absolutely right its a sad fact that i would find the cheap picture of victory in medieval total war to be more satisfying than the victory nothingness of rtw

"Kill them all. God will know his own." Pope Innocent III 1209 AD Albigensian Crusade,dealing justice to heretics.(guest he needed more denari just like us when playing RTW). "BRING BACK DECISIVE BATTLES ON HISTORY CHANNEL THE BEST SHOW ON TV" me 2005
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames