Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.10 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Modding a civilisation
Bottom
Topic Subject:Modding a civilisation
Kaidonni
Legionary
posted 20 May 2005 17:03 EDT (US)         
I'm curious. Is it possible to modify a complete civilisation to your own specifications, such as change the name (perhaps the faction colour and/or the faction flag?), the culture (building style, etc) and the tech-tree (units they can recruit, what they can build, etc etc)? I'm just wondering because I wouldn't mind modding one of the civilisations so I could basically turn them into my own.

(\_/)
(X.x)---------
()> <()
\/\/\/\/\/\
\/\/\/\/\/\/\
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\This is Bunny roasting on an open fire. Yummy!
AuthorReplies:
crop_top
Legionary
posted 20 May 2005 17:06 EDT (US)     1 / 10       
YES

The fear of war is worse than war itself.
Seneca
Homer: God bless those pagans.
KaiserWinterfeldt
Legionary
(id: Night_Raider)
posted 20 May 2005 17:29 EDT (US)     2 / 10       
ANYTHING is possible. Check out my "Modifying Carthage" thread for some basics to unit and building modifications

(`._.[ .:^:. ]._.)
O.:.O
KaiserWinterfeldt O.:.O
R.I.P. Kayla Renee Winterfeldt & Jet Jetboy Winterfeldt
(`._.[ .::. ]._.)
(`.__.)
(v)
doitzelkaiseriii
Legionary
posted 20 May 2005 17:31 EDT (US)     3 / 10       
Well, actually, not anything. Some things are prevented by legal restraints and hard-coding.

But full civilization overhaul IS possible. You'll need to find an experienced modder, though. Browse the modding forums if you're interested in doing it.

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
KaiserWinterfeldt
Legionary
(id: Night_Raider)
posted 20 May 2005 18:23 EDT (US)     4 / 10       
Well, I assumed he would have that much common sense

(`._.[ .:^:. ]._.)
O.:.O
KaiserWinterfeldt O.:.O
R.I.P. Kayla Renee Winterfeldt & Jet Jetboy Winterfeldt
(`._.[ .::. ]._.)
(`.__.)
(v)
Kaidonni
Legionary
posted 21 May 2005 03:05 EDT (US)     5 / 10       
Night_Raider, you really need to check if you have any reliable sources about me (lol).

I was thinking that, with the modding, I could perhaps transfer Britannia into my own choice of civilisation. I'd basically like to change their name, and change their culture to Roman, perhaps give them their own temples with their own bonuses, and give them their own tech-tree including the Roman buildings to an extent, and their own unit tech-tree. I was thinking of also changing their starting position on the map so they start with less than 4 regions.

EDIT: Just been looking through the different files, haven't modded anything yet (will wait until completed Pontus campaign to do the modding). Okay, I already modded it so I could play Pontus, I mean I haven't modded it further just yet. I saw in the world/maps/base folder photoshop images and the files on base names, etc. Is this the folder people go to to alter names of settlements and regions, alter the owners of settlements, alter the regions, etc?

(\_/)
(X.x)---------
()> <()
\/\/\/\/\/\
\/\/\/\/\/\/\

[This message has been edited by Kaidonni (edited 05-21-2005 @ 03:12 AM).]

Sassenach
Tribunus Militum
posted 21 May 2005 03:21 EDT (US)     6 / 10       
The only difficulty in doing that is that the Britons don't have any unit cards for the Roman style units and buildings. For example, you could easily make urbans recruitable by the brits by adding a single line of text into the export_descr_buildings file, but in the game they'd apper as a unit of peasants on the army stacks. Once you got into the battle they'd still look like urbans of course but it still annoys the hell out of you. There is a way round this but I haven't gotten around to working out how to do it yet.

The same goes for buildings. I gave paved roads to the eastern factions and it appeared with a standard paved roads icon in the city screen, yet when I tried to do it for the Dacians it looked like a roman barracks, which is the default building icon. I'm also unsure about how easy it would be to change the default barbarian city types. Could you give them romanised cities to build or would they just end up with little round barbarian hovels full of roman buildings ? Again, I'm certain this would be relatively east to modify but I don't know how to do it.

I'd suggest tinkering round the edges at first and build up to it gradually, either that or find somebody here with a lot more knowledge than me to walk you through it all.

"Hain't we got all the fools in town on our side ? and ain't that a big enough majority in any town ?" - Huckleberry Finn
Kaidonni
Legionary
posted 21 May 2005 03:28 EDT (US)     7 / 10       
I was thinking of proper Roman cities. I also found that nifty little map that people can use to make their own Imperial Campaign faction maps (on the new game screen, where it shows where the faction starts).

(\_/)
(X.x)---------
()> <()
\/\/\/\/\/\
\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Kaidonni
Legionary
posted 21 May 2005 11:24 EDT (US)     8 / 10       
Been looking through the files, but kinda confused. I'm going to write down what I want, and perhaps will have something to work with. Especially helpful to have a tech-tree done up. I like phalanxes, and I want a multitude of certain horse units...Horse Archers, etc etc. I also want to change the starting place of the civilisation as well as some region names. I also want my own temples for the civilisation with their own descriptions. Perhaps some extra areas on the main campaign map could be good (something extra to Hibernia, and an extra region in Britain). I also want Roman General's Bodyguards for my generals.

(\_/)
(X.x)---------
()> <()
\/\/\/\/\/\
\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Kaidonni
Legionary
posted 21 May 2005 11:42 EDT (US)     9 / 10       
Been checking files...so, I hope it's possible to alter settlement sizes, etc, and then to alter their ownership and garrison.

(\_/)
(X.x)---------
()> <()
\/\/\/\/\/\
\/\/\/\/\/\/\
askaggs
Legionary
posted 23 May 2005 10:59 EDT (US)     10 / 10       
*waits for someone to post the edit button*
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames