You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.12 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » RTR - should I get it?
Bottom
Topic Subject:RTR - should I get it?
KaiserWinterfeldt
Legionary
(id: Night_Raider)
posted 22 May 2005 11:11 EDT (US)         
Recently I've been looking for a new experience to RTW, and I came across RTR (I don't really like the others because they don't fit in with the time frame [ie. Chivalry: TW] or they don't make it balanced [ie. EB], nonetheless they are great mods!) and was wondering if it is worth getting, downloading all the previous (post 1.2) mods just to get 5.4.

Furthermore, upon reading the installation instructions for 5.2, it says you need a clean versiou of RTW (1.2), the only things I have installed are the patch and completed factions MOD version 1.2, could I still install RTR fine, or do I really have to go back and reinstall the game?

(¯`•._.•[ .:^:. ]•._.•´¯)
¨‘°ºO.:.Oº°‘¨
KaiserWinterfeldt ¨‘°ºO.:.Oº°‘¨
R.I.P. Kayla Renee Winterfeldt & Jet Jetboy Winterfeldt
(¯`•._.•[ .::. ]•._.•´¯)
(¯`•.__.•´¯)
(¯v¯)
AuthorReplies:
doitzelkaiseriii
Legionary
posted 22 May 2005 12:02 EDT (US)     1 / 12       
From what I heard, RTR messes up a lot of the great stuff in the game, including cavalry charges. It stops cavalry from jumping over the first line in a unit. It also makes them obsolete by giving most (if not ALL) units more than one hitpoint.

I haven't actually played it, I decided to wait until EB comes out. And actually, EB might balance a lot of things out for some of the factions. The Seleucids will probably be able to stave off total annihilation, Carthage will be able to hold off, at least for a while. Germania and Britannia will be isolated in the early game, as they should be.

Some of the factions, though, such as Parthia and Dacia, do indeed get weaker. However, these factions were always wiped out in the original game, anyway.

My suggestion would be to use Mundus Magnus for the time being, mod your own game to keep it interesting, and wait for Europa Barbarorum.

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
Molina
Legionary
posted 22 May 2005 12:07 EDT (US)     2 / 12       
Yes, it will work fine.

I don't recommend it, tough.

Please excuse my english, it's the lack of use.
KaiserWinterfeldt
Legionary
posted 22 May 2005 12:27 EDT (US)     3 / 12       
My only problem with EB is that they "threw balance to the wind". They insist that through historical accuracy, each faction should still be playable, but I don't think so. Imo, the Gauls would be too weak, they were wiped out by Caesar in about a decades time (if I remember correctly), and their are other factions under similar circumstances

(¯`•.__.•´¯)
(¯v¯)
doitzelkaiseriii
Legionary
posted 22 May 2005 12:31 EDT (US)     4 / 12       
All factions probably will still be playable. In fact, it would probably make campaigns much longer, because some factions would be such a challenge.

crop_top
Legionary
posted 22 May 2005 12:42 EDT (US)     5 / 12       
I thing you should try it, it no longer takes Army barracks to have top of the line troops for any faction, with a Roman factions all it takes to have a Hastati, Principes,and triarii is a militia barracks,even with that taking the Greeks,Gauls, and Macedonias is much harder.

I never seen any problem with cav chargers.

Also the Britons have no main land citys at the start but they now have 4 citys on there island now. Carthage can hold there land in RTR,in my 3 roman games Carthage take all of Africa, Sicilia Citys and Spian very fast.

A.I Seleucids are still push overs becoming a protectorate almost every game.

Germans still my # 1 faction

And the game will still work with your faction mod.

The fear of war is worse than war itself.
— Seneca
Homer: God bless those pagans.
KaiserWinterfeldt
Legionary
posted 22 May 2005 13:14 EDT (US)     6 / 12       

Quote:

Germans still my # 1 faction

What makes them so good in rtr?

Quote:

because some factions would be such a challenge

can playing a barbarian faction really be any harder? weak population growth, poor economy...

I like a challenge, what drives me from factions like Gaul and Parthia, etc. is that fact that because of their disadvantages, I never seem to be able to come up with the necesary resources, and as such I am weakly defended and the enemy often take my cities. Will it be like that in EB?

(¯`•.__.•´¯)
(¯v¯)
doitzelkaiseriii
Legionary
posted 22 May 2005 13:18 EDT (US)     7 / 12       
Yes, actually, it will

Parthia will start with one province, bordering the HUGE (but militarily weak) Seleucid Empire. Gaul will start off powerfull, though. Their starting position is improved by the fact that they will no longer start off bordering Germania or Britannia (or Carthage, in fact).

KaiserWinterfeldt
Legionary
posted 22 May 2005 13:22 EDT (US)     8 / 12       
I don't want a faction with which I can't defend myself because of poor economy or low population...

(¯`•.__.•´¯)
(¯v¯)
doitzelkaiseriii
Legionary
posted 22 May 2005 13:27 EDT (US)     9 / 12       
Germania is much improved in that respect methinks. They start fairly isolated (Britannia no longer starts on the continent) and with better settlements. Parthia isn't much weaker than they are in the original, except that they only have one province. The Seleucids, as I said, are militarily weak. They won't be able to maintain public order in most of their cities, and won't be able to take out Parthia so easily (under a human player).

KaiserWinterfeldt
Legionary
posted 22 May 2005 13:57 EDT (US)     10 / 12       
Well, I'm glad Germania will be improved to an extent

Just one question: how do you know all about this?

(¯`•.__.•´¯)
(¯v¯)
doitzelkaiseriii
Legionary
posted 22 May 2005 13:59 EDT (US)     11 / 12       
Because Mundus Magnus is the map that is going to be used for Europa Barbarorum. Most of the starting positions will be unaltered, as far as I know. Also, I read the EB updates in the modding forum.

Aemilius
Legionary
posted 22 May 2005 18:45 EDT (US)     12 / 12       
I use RTR and it works fine.

Just idag är jag stark!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames