You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.3 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » A few basic modding questions
Bottom
Topic Subject:A few basic modding questions
Sassenach
Tribunus Militum
posted 22 May 2005 17:55 EDT (US)         
I probably ought to be posting this over in the game mods forum, but I get the feeling it'll so simple as to be beneath the dignity of those guys to bother explaining it, so I'll post it here instead.

I've just spent a couple of hours tinkering with the data files in a vain attempt to develop my personal mod. What I'm looking to do is make additional units recruitable by certain other factions. I know how to do this by changing the ownership in the export_descr_units file and then changing the export_descr_buildings file to make them recruitable at the the requisite building level. That's not a problem, I've been doing that for ages. But I can't for the life of me work out how to prevent all non-mercenary units from appearing as a unit of peasants on their unit cards, or how to get rid of 'unlocalised placement text' from their description. Nothing I've tried seems to work, and I'm loathe to change too much without a clearer idea of what I'm doing.

Assuming somebody can tell me how to get around that, my other question is would I need to amend the model in photoshop (which I don't have) to make the new units match the new colour scheme, or is there a way around this as well ?

Any pointers would be gratefully received because frankly, I've had enough of fumbling around blindly hoping I'll hit on the solution.

"Hain't we got all the fools in town on our side ? and ain't that a big enough majority in any town ?" - Huckleberry Finn
AuthorReplies:
Kapitan_brad
Legionary
posted 22 May 2005 18:16 EDT (US)     1 / 3       
Firstly, a few little pointers are neccesary !
I consider myself a begginer at modding, so im sure you can appreciate my help.

Firstly, you need to type up a unit description and a unit designator to make it show up at a real unit with text describing it.

Next, you need a unit-card in the proper place for that unit to have one.

You may want to speak to Ferret about this. hes a much MUCH better teacher than i am. However i recomend you just download a full unit package, and work off THAT model (thats sort of how i learned how to mod)

That is all I have to say.
Sassenach
Tribunus Militum
posted 22 May 2005 18:32 EDT (US)     2 / 3       

Quote:

Firstly, you need to type up a unit description and a unit designator to make it show up at a real unit with text describing it.

I played around with that a bit. To start with I was just looking to make an already existing unit available. I picked Heavy Spearman and tried to make them available to the Parthians. I thought I could just add them into the existing designation, but it didn't seem to do anything. Then I had a read of the tutorial on the site here about creating a new unit. I followed all the instructions (clear as mud though they are) and got the exact same results.

Quote:

Next, you need a unit-card in the proper place for that unit to have one.

Where do I find these, and what files do I need to change to put them in place ?

"Hain't we got all the fools in town on our side ? and ain't that a big enough majority in any town ?" - Huckleberry Finn
beekay
Legionary
(id: black_knight_101)
posted 23 May 2005 07:30 EDT (US)     3 / 3       
You would probably be better asking in the modding forum. They have extensive knowledge of modding, we others can only edit the txt files at best.

Quote:

Where do I find these, and what files do I need to change to put them in place ?

IIRC you have to create your own unit cards. Don't know what to change, though...

sig
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames