Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.15 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Stockpiling Money
Bottom
Topic Subject:Stockpiling Money
meatloafster
Legionary
posted 22 October 2004 13:22 EDT (US)         
I've been trying a lot of stuff lately, and here's one thing I've done.

I've played the Julii... captured about 5 Gallic cities, and stopped expansion. I demolished the existing buildings from the gallic cities and replaced them with my own. I developed all my cities, garissoned them with peasants, and kept 2 standing armies to fight against sieging Gauls. All my cities are up to very high taxes.

Then I just keep on developing and wait for the Marian reforms.

At this point, I've got 300,000+ denari in the bank... I'm looking to see if I can reform my military with funky legions/roman cav, and rapidly finish off the gauls, expand out into Iberia and push the brits up to their isle.

Just wanted to ask if anyone's tried to stop invading, sit for a while and stockpile money as well?

AuthorReplies:
il Padrino
Legionary
posted 22 October 2004 14:02 EDT (US)     1 / 15       
Yes, I stockpiled money after defeating the Gaul, Britans and Germans. I had about 1.5 million denarii and then unleashed my wraith on the rest of the world! ;-)

A funny thing was that when reaching 1.5 million, the total treasure was listed as "500.000"...

Ueriah
Legionary
posted 22 October 2004 14:19 EDT (US)     2 / 15       
From what I've heard, you might be doing yourself a little bit of harm from stockpiling that much money.

I've heard that the magic number is around 50k. After that, you start getting disportioniately high corruption and "corruptable" traits. Basicially your leadership starts to suffer from the excess of wealth that you have and you get some vices that you wouldn't get otherwise.

Maurus Augustus
Legionary
posted 22 October 2004 15:28 EDT (US)     3 / 15       
I did almost exactly what you describe and it worked like a charm after the marian reforms it took me 15/20 turns aproximately to wipe out the gauls and the brittains (wich had destroyed the germans)
eddie291
Legionary
posted 22 October 2004 15:43 EDT (US)     4 / 15       
i dont think thats true Ueriah. im carthage and i took over all of italy, wiped out the julii, the senete, and the scippi.the brutii seem to be hiding somewhere. anyways i had at least over 200,000 D due to all the trading. of course it would go down but once i went past 180 k mark, it never went under 180 k. and this has been happening for about 26 years.
Boyo
Legionary
(id: cymruwarrior)
posted 22 October 2004 16:19 EDT (US)     5 / 15       
It is true, the odds of getting corrutoption/decadence type traits increases. The magic number is around 50k or so.

Bah!
Ueriah
Legionary
posted 22 October 2004 16:37 EDT (US)     6 / 15       
Difficulty level might influence this as well. It's possible that you see it more on higher difficulty levels, while at lower difficulty the restrictions are eased. That would explain why it happens to some of us and not others.
meatloafster
Legionary
posted 24 October 2004 18:57 EDT (US)     7 / 15       
You know what I did with my 300,000 denari? I bought off nearly all the brits in mainland and invaded their island. I build two huge armies and sent them rampaging into spain. I bought off half of the scipii's and brutii's armies/cities... and I'm now on the brink of attacking Rome.

Quick question: how do you activate the civil war?

Snook
Legionary
posted 24 October 2004 19:27 EDT (US)     8 / 15       
Meatloafster: Attack Rome.

I've never managed to get my popularity with the people higher than 5 shields. :/

Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!
Queen Honeymuffin II
Legionary
(id: Kman)
posted 24 October 2004 20:01 EDT (US)     9 / 15       

Quote:

I've never managed to get my popularity with the people higher than 5 shields. :/

Your popularity raises based on how many battles you win and how much land you conquor. If you lose in single player as much as you do against me in multi, I'm surprised you get above 2 stars.

Brock88
Legionary
posted 24 October 2004 20:28 EDT (US)     10 / 15       
haha, owned!

Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love. If you must steal, steal away from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. And if you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away.
Winner of 2005 OD : Best Ownage, Funniest Newbie, and Dinoman Award
"Mastering Others is Strength, Mastering yourself makes you fearless -Lao Tzu"
Queen Honeymuffin II
Legionary
posted 24 October 2004 21:54 EDT (US)     11 / 15       
Irony++
Ace Cataphract
HG Alumnus
(id: Ace_Cataphract)
posted 24 October 2004 22:18 EDT (US)     12 / 15       
I can never seem to sit still long enough to stockpile money. I always find myself constantly at war. Mabye I'm just using the wrong factions, but I've played as the Greeks, Seleucids, Brutii, and Carthaginians, and I've never been able to just sit down and relax after taking out a huge enemy. It seems that just before I drive the final stake into one enemy's heart, someone invades me or backstabs me or something.

I put a dollar in one of those change machines. Nothing changed. ~George Carlin
Queen Honeymuffin II
Legionary
posted 24 October 2004 22:45 EDT (US)     13 / 15       
Yes, it seems that on Very Hard the AI will not allow you to not be at war with at leat 1 person. If you manage to make peace or ally with everyone around you, someone will inevitably break it. Many times, if you declare cease fire the next turn they'll attack anyway. The AI has no sence of honor.
gordon1
Legionary
posted 24 October 2004 22:58 EDT (US)     14 / 15       
wait get ready for this slap in the face obvious stuff.

DDDDUUUUUUHHHH~!~~!!!!

its TOTAL WAR.. guess what that means? your at war!!!!!!

also, very hard is the same as Medium difficulty i swear to god its no different, the AI is just so bad

meatloafster
Legionary
posted 25 October 2004 11:28 EDT (US)     15 / 15       
well. that's why i had 2 standing armies. the damn gauls always tried to ge their cities back, and i was cautious about the brits. Eventually, i was gaining about 8000-12000 dinari per turn. Until i started buying off armies, which evened out the money gain.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames