You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.6 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » marrying off your daughters/sons plus other ideas
Bottom
Topic Subject:marrying off your daughters/sons plus other ideas
karoaper
Legionary
posted 23 October 2004 15:56 EDT (US)         
Hello,

First off, a suggestion. In the past one of the surest ways to achieve friendly diplomatic relations with another kindgom was to marry off your daughters/sons to other kind's family. I'm Armenian, and I know from my own history that many Persian kings had Armenian heritage and many Armenian kings had Persian, precisely because of such dimplomatic inter-marriages. This would have been a nice addition to the dimplocatic dimension in the game.

Now, as far as the problems, why can't I set a physical allignment for my troops without having to move them. For example if my hastati are pointing south and I want them to point SE, I have to move them an inch in SE direction to achieve that. And even then it is sometimes awkward. Most other RTS games allow just such an allignment.

Now, 2 questions. First of all, most of my problems are not on the battlefield, but in managing my cities (order, finance). Finances are easy enough to control: deal with enemy armes on your territory, before they cause destruction, upgrade the buildings. I'm less sure of how to deal with corruption.

My second question deals with increasing the influence of my governors. With low influence it is next to impossible to maitain high public order.

Anyways, good luck and would appreciate comments and answers.

One trick I use is check the details and then click on a building to build. In the details you can immediately see the next turn changes that will occur as the result of the new building. Just look for the faded or blinking symbols.

AuthorReplies:
aom dude
Legionary
posted 23 October 2004 16:38 EDT (US)     1 / 6       
Corruption can be dealt with by building certain buildings, some temples for example give a 5% law bonus. Law decreases corruption. I'm not sure how you can increase influence. Diplomats gain influence by arranging treaties, generals might gain it by winning battles. I don't think a lot of influence is necessary to maintain public order if you have the right buildings and a garrison.

It's lame to quote yourself - aom dude
Queen Honeymuffin II
Legionary
(id: Kman)
posted 23 October 2004 16:59 EDT (US)     2 / 6       
You can rotate your armies without moving them by pressing the period or comma keys.

I heard that if you put spies in your cities it decreases corruption, though I don't know if this works.

I agree you should be able to marry off your daughters to foreign kings. Thats something I miss from Midieval TW.

Logic and facts have no place within a Anti American- -legion
Onions change based on perspective -Hammerhands
in a juvenile kind of sense, kman proves my point. -SocK
Kman's fads can be amusing, all others are normally dreadful. -NAT
Winner of Clarissimus' Intelligent Humor award for Awesomeness.
WINNER OF THE 1ST INTERNATIONAL XZYIOTHE AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE IN POSTING
Maurus Augustus
Legionary
posted 24 October 2004 23:33 EDT (US)     3 / 6       
I belive that the reason for not having the possibilty of marring your daughters with foreigns rulers is that the romans did not have the costume of doing that.
Mr Nice Guy
Legionary
posted 25 October 2004 13:43 EDT (US)     4 / 6       

Quoted from karoaper:

why can't I set a physical allignment for my troops without having to move them. For example if my hastati are pointing south and I want them to point SE, I have to move them an inch in SE direction to achieve that. And even then it is sometimes awkward. Most other RTS games allow just such an allignment.

There are a couple of ways:
1) As Kman points out, use comma & period (<,> ) keys to turn them in place.
2) You can also right-click & drag where you want your troops to go. You will form a line and set your unit's width & depth.
Both work with multiple units.

Uh, huh?
Apollo315
Legionary
posted 25 October 2004 23:38 EDT (US)     5 / 6       
romans shouldn't be able to marry their daughters to other cultures, but they should be able to marry other roman factions, which could get you popularity with those factions. However, Oriental kingdoms should be able to inter-marry; e.g. Pontus could marry Armenian sons.

His ego nec metas rerum nec tempora pono:
Imperium sine fine dedi.
(P. Vergilius Maro, Aeneid I. 278-79)
We are all, so far as we inherit the civilisation of Europe, still citizens of the Roman Empire, and time has not proved Virgil wrong when he wrote nec tempora pono: imperium sine fine dedi.
(T.S. Eliot)
Melshimber
Legionary
posted 26 October 2004 03:22 EDT (US)     6 / 6       
Effectively you can marry your daugters off, you get more governers and generals from internal cities. Why would the romans need intermarrage with barbarians???!

RTW is very different from MTW agreed, but I think that it is just as good with all of the different rules and management skills needed.

I, for one, am glad that RTW did not turn into a glossy MTW with the same structure and the same diplomacy. Yay for the game designers!

Influence is gained or lost by generals for holding positions of power with the senate, being heroic generals and gaining lots of followers.

Hope this helps.

Mike

On my order, Unlease Hell!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames