You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.11 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Effective use of Spies and Assassins?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Effective use of Spies and Assassins?
Aftermath
HG Alumnus
posted 23 October 2004 20:45 EDT (US)         
In the campaign mode, I get the feeling I should be using Spies and Assassins more than I am. For the spies, I tend only to build 2 or three depending on how many battle fronts I have, then use them to scout out what type of units particular armies and garrisons have. Plus place them in settlements I am about to siege so they can open the gates for me.

As for the Assassins, I never have more than one. And even when I do have one I rarely put him to use. So how do you suggest I go about using Assassins? Are they really worth the cost + the risk of losing them just to sabotage a building in a settlement or assassinate a character? The success rate always seems really low.

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
AuthorReplies:
British Agent
Legionary
posted 23 October 2004 22:34 EDT (US)     1 / 11       
Not that I've found an effective use for them yet, but rather than just having your assassin(s) doing nothing when you build them, just make a mental note for yourself to always have them do something before you hit the End Turn button. If you have them kill a bunch of people while the game is still young, and the generals/diplomats arn't tough, the assassin's skill level will raise enough so that you'll have much higher chances of killing Faction Heirs and possibly Leaders later in the game.

So I guess the most effective use for them is to use them early and use them often, then to have them take out the general of the Army you're about to attack to kill the morale.

~British Agent
.___.
{O,o} O RLY?
/)__)
-"-"-
Queen Honeymuffin II
Legionary
(id: Kman)
posted 23 October 2004 23:10 EDT (US)     2 / 11       
Assasins are great if you use them right. To be effective, they need at least 8 stars. Build up their skill by taking out any enemy diplomats that wonder onto your land. Killing rebel captains is also useful.

Eventually you'll get some retinues. Pet Monkey and Catamite give you +1 skill, and Dancer gives +2. You can get +5 in learned skill traits, plus up to a +3 skill birth trait. This comes out to 11 skill points. (10 might be the max, im not sure)

Once your assasin is skilled, group him with a spy and move them to your enemy's city. Send in the spy first, so you can see all the city's generals and buildings. If you don't send in a spy, some of the generals/buildings will show as question marks, and you won't know what you're attacking or the % success rate. (though with 10 stars you usualy don't need to worry)

Try assasinating all of a faction's family members. It's hard to do, but if you succeed all their lands and armies will turn into rebels.

You'll probably notice that once you get a faction down to 1 or 2 members, new AI generals will seem to pop up out of nowhere. This is because when the AI gets low on generals it marrys off all it's unwed women. It's not the AI cheating as your faction does the same thing. All new generals pop up in the enemy's capital so just send your assasin there and finish the job.

Ace Cataphract
HG Alumnus
(id: Ace_Cataphract)
posted 24 October 2004 01:07 EDT (US)     3 / 11       
Be careful though. Using the Scipii I was once outlawed because so many of my assasins were caught trying to kill their faction leader.

I put a dollar in one of those change machines. Nothing changed. ~George Carlin
Bartman_82
Legionary
posted 24 October 2004 05:02 EDT (US)     4 / 11       
Rofl that never happened to me. I kept killing the family members that popped up in Rome (S.P.Q.R) until my assassin eventually got caught. I managed to kill the heir, but the Leader had a very low success rate (like 3%). Leaders have a high personal security rating, so they are extra hard to kill. And I think that its even harder when they're hiding in cities.
Boyo
Legionary
(id: cymruwarrior)
posted 24 October 2004 15:29 EDT (US)     5 / 11       
I've heard that putting lots of spies into an enemy city increases its revolt risk.

Bah!
Queen Honeymuffin II
Legionary
(id: Kman)
posted 24 October 2004 18:26 EDT (US)     6 / 11       
Does anyone know what happens if you kill all the senate leaders? Do the Roman factions go into civil war or what?
Ace Cataphract
HG Alumnus
(id: Ace_Cataphract)
posted 24 October 2004 22:09 EDT (US)     7 / 11       
The Senate faction is eliminated. I don't know more about it.

I put a dollar in one of those change machines. Nothing changed. ~George Carlin
Harpoon
Legionary
posted 25 October 2004 01:11 EDT (US)     8 / 11       
anyone notice that sometimes their assassins dissapear? Mayb ethey die of natural causes or something... i forgot the button that shows all your characters...

and I found that even if you have rank 10 master assasins, its hard to kill any important characters

Mechstra
Banned
posted 25 October 2004 04:19 EDT (US)     9 / 11       
All characters age - assassins included. The game tells you when they die of old age, with 'A Worthy Life Ends'.

The best training order for assassins is: Captain, Diplomat, Minor Family Member, Major Family Member, Faction Heir, Faction Leader. You may want to avoid the leaders most of the time - even with 10 subterfuge, there's still only a 30% success rate (and that's if you're lucky). You'll want to train exclusively on captains until the success rate is at 100%, then move on to the next. And so on, mostly.

Gaius Caesar
Legionary
posted 25 October 2004 10:59 EDT (US)     10 / 11       
my assassin was awesome. i even had it where my success rate for all family members except faction leader and heir were 100%. they are awesome to eliminate leaders
meatloafster
Legionary
posted 25 October 2004 11:33 EDT (US)     11 / 11       
i love assasins. i often sends 3/4 spies into a far-off large enemy city, and send my assasin flock to destroy all the buildings. tadaaan, instant rebellion!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames