You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.7 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Anyone one else notice this??
Bottom
Topic Subject:Anyone one else notice this??
Centurion brutii
Legionary
posted 22 October 2005 20:03 EDT (US)         
once when i was playing with levy pike men or bonz sheild pike men i had them attack some archers( i know... thats stuipid, but hey?!) and to get them there faster i hade them get out of phalanx formation to run. when i got to the archers, supprisingly they did not run, but attacked. i hade no time to change back to phalanx. and all my pike man did was run around while they where getting choped off!!!

can any phalanx troops with really long spears do ANYTHING when out of phalanxe formation other than run aroung and get killed??????

----~~~A village in Texas is missing its idiot.~~~----
---------------------------------
|\____,-[]-,___,---,____________________,----,_
|#[==]+[II]-=-=(o)/[]-[]-[]-[]-[]/===]
|//##/-------------------/
`````/##/
AuthorReplies:
Ichbinian
Legionary
posted 22 October 2005 20:34 EDT (US)     1 / 7       
Well, yes they can fight without the Phalanx formation, but they're weaker. But why were they running around? Because the game has many bugs, one of which has not been fixed - sometimes when you tell units to charge, they'll go somewhere else, or won't go.

Ichbinian
Oldie from RTWH!
Themistocles472
Legionary
posted 22 October 2005 23:05 EDT (US)     2 / 7       
What kind of archers did you attack? Were you at full strength going into that? What difficulty? What version are you playing?

Out of phalanx only spartans are still good. They have excelelnt swordsmanship, in fact.

inkdrinker
Legionary
posted 23 October 2005 11:46 EDT (US)     3 / 7       
You shuld break phalanx formation for two reasons only:

You're pursuing a routing enemy and have no other units that can pursue them better.
-OR-
You need to rush them to a location VERY QUICKLY! An example would be after you've busted down the door of a city and you need to move your phalanxes in to wreck shop without having them get picked off as they slowly advance up to the walls and through the gatehouse.

But since sword fighting was mentioned, what's the deal with that? Too often, my phalanx units want to drop the spears and brawl it out like common Roman trash. Is there a reason for it? I'm not telling them to attack with the alternate weapon, but it seems they don't like to keep their spears out unless they have a long time to get ready. Am I just not giving them enough time to form up?

I_Alexander
Legionary
posted 24 October 2005 07:09 EDT (US)     4 / 7       
The Phalanx ability of the Pikemen is their speciality. they are only protected when in their phalax formation from any damn attack their pikes at an angle of 45 degrees help them to protect them from the arrows . and when they are not in their phalanx they cannot use their pikes as good as a sword so they are very weak when not in the phalanx formation.

SIGN
AlexanderTheGreat
MEGAS_ALEXANDROS
Legionary
posted 24 October 2005 07:29 EDT (US)     5 / 7       
The defence of a Phallanx is the attacking sarissa!

I agree with inkdrinker that you should only get out of Phallanx when trying to move quicky, then regroup into Phallanx.

And one more thing Levy pikemen are even worst in defence from militia hoplites. Perhaps with Phallangites or Bronze shields you wouldnt have problem routing these archers.

KaiserWinterfeldt
Legionary
(id: Night_Raider)
posted 24 October 2005 10:11 EDT (US)     6 / 7       

Quoted from inkdrinker:

But since sword fighting was mentioned, what's the deal with that? Too often, my phalanx units want to drop the spears and brawl it out like common Roman trash. Is there a reason for it? I'm not telling them to attack with the alternate weapon, but it seems they don't like to keep their spears out unless they have a long time to get ready. Am I just not giving them enough time to form up?

I've noticed this as well. I rarely play as a phalanx nation, but whenever I am attacking one, I commonly surround the phalanx unit with two units of my own. It causes the spearmen to break formation and start fighting with swords, their biggest weakness. Of course, I started doing this mainly after I got RTR, so I'm not sure if the reaction is the same in vanilla. Evidently, it is.

My guess is, it happens whenever the phalanx unit is being attacked on multiple fronts, or not from the direct front like they are designed to do.

(`._.[ .:^:. ]._.)
O.:.O
KaiserWinterfeldt O.:.O
R.I.P. Kayla Renee Winterfeldt & Jet Jetboy Winterfeldt
(`._.[ .::. ]._.)
(`.__.)
(v)
shadowarmy
Legionary
(id: shadowarmy75)
posted 24 October 2005 20:12 EDT (US)     7 / 7       
What version are you using? I have found that if you attack from front and side sometimes they break out of phalanx and sometimes only the men that border the flanker attacks and the rest stay in phalanx and attack the front.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames