You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.18 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Most men lost in a war?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Most men lost in a war?
Death Hawk
Legionary
posted 14 May 2006 13:46 EDT (US)         
Just out of intrest in one war who has taken the most casualties? in RTR as Germania my Conquest of Macedon cost 25 family members and around 134,000 men (god knows how many macedon lost in this!). That does not include early scrims because I only started counting around a 1/5 of the way through. - would esitmate another 10,000-15,000 though.

and yes i've been fighting this war for some insane time now :P - thank god it's over eh?

AuthorReplies:
roman_power
Legionary
posted 14 May 2006 14:32 EDT (US)     1 / 18       
In the SPQR mod, Britain is VERY hard to beat. They have full stacked Armies all along the coast and in cities (And they aer good armies with Chariots and all). I left Normandy with 7 full stacked armies and brought in another 3 later. Then there were 3 more attacking Ireland. In The end after all the rebellions and all, I had probably only had 3 full armies spread out in garrisons and 5 family members out of the original 12. If this is bad, the Enemy had lost 25 men to one of mine. The battles were huge, bloody and went on for over 30 turns (15 years)

The reason they are so big is that the mod makes all training time for units zero (adds realism) and their upkeep is greatly lowered. So all these armies were probably equivalant to 3 or 4 in the original game. But it was quite a campaign.

skullhunter
Banned
posted 14 May 2006 16:04 EDT (US)     2 / 18       
I went to war with the britions who owned most the map I was charthage i had 22 family members and about 35 full stacked armys i lost the war most of been near a million or 2 men and i just deleted ma game
CK the Fat
Legionary
posted 14 May 2006 16:08 EDT (US)     3 / 18       
The game should really take a total casualty count.

It would have:

Total soldiers trained
Total soldiers lost
Total enemy soldiers killed
Soldiers lost to non-battle purposes (plague, rebellion, etc.)

"Republicans who did not play the patronage game were ridiculed as the Mugwumps for sitting on the fence--their "mugs" on one side of the fence and "wumps" on the other. Historians generally consider this era a low point in American politics."--United States History by John J. Newman and John M. Schmalbach
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 14 May 2006 17:05 EDT (US)     4 / 18       
Oh, I think I've lost *Quick mental calculations*
2875 give or take 25 in my ongoing Greek conquest of Italy. 2750 of them came from one battle where I was completly wiped out by combined forces.

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
Slug For A Butt
Legionary
posted 15 May 2006 14:56 EDT (US)     5 / 18       
Then "skullhunter" smurf guy, you suck as badly as you write.
CK the Fat
Legionary
posted 15 May 2006 15:51 EDT (US)     6 / 18       
And your evidence that he is a smurf?

I've lost quite a few large armies by hitting withdrawn without noticing the skull on my army's image. That really sucks. I couldn't even auto-resolve to take down at least SOME of the enemy.

"Republicans who did not play the patronage game were ridiculed as the Mugwumps for sitting on the fence--their "mugs" on one side of the fence and "wumps" on the other. Historians generally consider this era a low point in American politics."--United States History by John J. Newman and John M. Schmalbach
shadowarmy
Legionary
(id: shadowarmy75)
posted 15 May 2006 16:04 EDT (US)     7 / 18       
That must mean your a witch.

*Chants*

Witch, Witch, Witch, lynch him.

"The most virtuous are those who content themselves with being virtuous without seeking to appear so."-Plato
Blunderboy
Legionary
posted 15 May 2006 19:02 EDT (US)     8 / 18       
The 1 or 2 million estimate seems a tad high.
Assuming that the maximum unit size for one unit is 240
240 * 20 = 4,800
That's the maximum size per army, give or take a few dozen.

Now, he claims he had 35 armies.
so
4,800 * 35 = 168 000

A High number, but well short of even one million.

Still, you'd have to suck quite alot to lose all your armies.

WWW.C3LL.NET - War is C3ll
Official RTWH Spelling Enforcement Officer
Voted The Most Normal Looking Forumer, 2005
The saddest sight in all the world is a battle lost. The second saddest sight is a battle won.

[This message has been edited by Blunderboy (edited 05-15-2006 @ 07:04 PM).]

skullhunter
Banned
posted 15 May 2006 23:18 EDT (US)     9 / 18       
thats not encluding all my other wars i had 999 years and unlimted money soo i had loads of time

[This message has been edited by skullhunter (edited 05-15-2006 @ 11:19 PM).]

Blunderboy
Legionary
posted 16 May 2006 06:10 EDT (US)     10 / 18       
Something that you didn't mention last time. Why?
Are you trying to impress us with how many men you lose? Or do you just have to go one better then everyone else?

WWW.C3LL.NET - War is C3ll
Official RTWH Spelling Enforcement Officer
Voted The Most Normal Looking Forumer, 2005
The saddest sight in all the world is a battle lost. The second saddest sight is a battle won.
BeerMatt
Legionary
(id: Olondi)
posted 16 May 2006 08:22 EDT (US)     11 / 18       
(Isn't the game time limit hard-coded?)

-+- Non sequiturs and weak puns a speciality -+-
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 16 May 2006 10:40 EDT (US)     12 / 18       
No, you mod one of the files to push the start date further apart.

Thanatos
Legionary
(id: deathmaster666)
posted 16 May 2006 19:06 EDT (US)     13 / 18       
Why one would do that I have no idea, most of my campaigns end around 200 B.C. My longest went up to 170 B.C. I am almost to the point where I long for longer campaigns to see how the game turns out.

Help me to tally the forums belief patterns, vote in my poll

Tally so far:-
Agnostics:18
Atheists:28
Theists:42
Ichbinian
Legionary
posted 16 May 2006 21:54 EDT (US)     14 / 18       
I've lost up to 5,000 soldiers on one particular war as the Julii. I assaulted Britain and took everything but Deva. I marched up with a couple thousand men, took it, but then it revolted. I even set the taxes low, built lots of buildings, etc. Still - they hated me and always revolted, killing hundreds in the actual revolt, and thousands more when I sent them against the walls of the city. To this day I have it, but since I conquered the world in that campaign, I left it. But if I were to play it again, which I might soon, it will simply kick me out again. I've spent like 100,000 denarii on it, but I've decided to grant their independance.

Ichbinian
Oldie from RTWH!
SireSpartan
Legionary
posted 17 May 2006 15:14 EDT (US)     15 / 18       
A million or two? I haven't even trained 500,000 soldiers all through out a whole game then to lose a million or two in a campaign.

The most soldiers I lost in a war was 10,000-15,000. As Germania invading Rome.

"A Sire Unit in Sparta meant a suicide unit, as each soldier was expected to die in his mission."
CK the Fat
Legionary
posted 17 May 2006 15:31 EDT (US)     16 / 18       
I imagine unit size has a lot to do with kill count. I played my first 2 campaigns E/E with large unit sizes. Now I'm play M/M with huge unit sizes, and all my casualties are doubled.

Strongarm
Legionary
posted 19 May 2006 13:53 EDT (US)     17 / 18       
I don't know what you guys do to lose that many men in a war. I just fought a campaign agaisnt an allied force of Germans, Britians, Gauls and Spanish (no joke) and my total casualty count was roughly 2000. VH/VH Huge unit scale. Of course i have massive numbers of bowmen in my armies and try and make them attack me so that I can just pick them off with my archers. Go Julii.

I AM CANADIAN
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 21 May 2006 12:52 EDT (US)     18 / 18       

Quote:

Of course i have massive numbers of bowmen in my armies and try and make them attack me so that I can just pick them off with my archers.

That'll be why. Oh, and I beleive most of these campains are large scale.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames