You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.15 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » What's with the glittering?
Bottom
Topic Subject:What's with the glittering?
Gisgo
Legionary
posted 18 May 2006 01:30 EDT (US)         
Hi all, I bought RTW the day it came out after drooling over the video's for over a year befor its release lol. Then I played it for a year straight untill around September 2005, then stopped as I had to work on my undergraduate history thesis! Now that I'm graduating from college, I've been playing RTW again finally, and wow did I ever miss this game! Anyway, I learned about the 1.3 and 1.5 patches, installed both and I have a few questions. First, I noticed some of my units now have like a glittering star appearing near their hands or weapons. What is that, or what does it signify? I don't remember it from before? Secondly, have the patches increased marriage and child birth or something? Seems like I have 9 million generals and a new one every few turns now!

Thanks, and sorry if this has been covered in the past. I'm far from a newb having beat the game as the Julii, Brutii and Carthaginians on the full campaign. I'm just a little off after not playing for 8 months or so! lol

AuthorReplies:
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 18 May 2006 01:34 EDT (US)     1 / 15       
The glittering is actually uits gaining experience.
As for the generals... I've no idea, to be honest.

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
Gisgo
Legionary
posted 18 May 2006 01:40 EDT (US)     2 / 15       
Thanks, that's a cool new feature then, at least I know when my units are racking up experience now!

I think after so much time off I will finally try to conquer the world as one of my favorite historical civilizations, the Parthians! Carrhae here I come lol.

EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 18 May 2006 02:00 EDT (US)     3 / 15       
Parthians rule, but here's a challenge I set you-
Train a 1/2 Parthian cav 1/2 Cataphract army late game, but before you have conquered Greece. Ship it to Sparta, don't try to capture any cities, but attack as many armies as possible while marauding through Europe. See where you end up.
I accidently captured Rome while loosing little over 100 men from the army in the whole campain.

[This message has been edited by EnemyofJupitor (edited 05-18-2006 @ 02:15 AM).]

CK the Fat
Legionary
posted 18 May 2006 16:36 EDT (US)     4 / 15       
Where does the glittering take place? I know that flashing red numbers indicates how long before the unit routes, but I don't recall seeing a glittering.

I'm pretty sure I have v1.5; I bought RTW gold edition which should have all the modern RTW patches.

"Republicans who did not play the patronage game were ridiculed as the Mugwumps for sitting on the fence--their "mugs" on one side of the fence and "wumps" on the other. Historians generally consider this era a low point in American politics."--United States History by John J. Newman and John M. Schmalbach
shadowarmy
Legionary
(id: shadowarmy75)
posted 18 May 2006 16:40 EDT (US)     5 / 15       

Quote:

flashing red numbers

What have you been smoking?

Quote:

Where does the glittering take place?

Around the units, like a heavenly glow.

You can turn it off in preferences.txt

"The most virtuous are those who content themselves with being virtuous without seeking to appear so."-Plato
Ichbinian
Legionary
posted 18 May 2006 16:43 EDT (US)     6 / 15       

Quote:

What have you been smoking?

Quote:

flashing red numbers

I think he means how the unit numbers rapidly go down when the units are in combat and losing many men.

Ichbinian
Oldie from RTWH!
The_Phalanx
Legionary
posted 18 May 2006 16:49 EDT (US)     7 / 15       
generals sparkle as well i've seen it

isn't is purty?

EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 18 May 2006 17:02 EDT (US)     8 / 15       

Quote:

isn't is purty?

Er... no?
It's jkust the general unit gaining experience.

CK the Fat
Legionary
posted 18 May 2006 17:39 EDT (US)     9 / 15       
The red lights come from the unit list, not physically on the battlefield. The number goes down as units die. Units can route without taking sudden mass casualties, but that is usually how it happens. I'm not smoking anything; I was just thinking of a different place on the screen.

All right, yeah, I've seen that glow many times before. I just thought it was moral lifting. In AOM when that happened, it meant your army was being given a moral boost which increased attack and armor for a short time.

"Republicans who did not play the patronage game were ridiculed as the Mugwumps for sitting on the fence--their "mugs" on one side of the fence and "wumps" on the other. Historians generally consider this era a low point in American politics."--United States History by John J. Newman and John M. Schmalbach
The_Phalanx
Legionary
posted 18 May 2006 18:10 EDT (US)     10 / 15       
i guess the joke was missed... purty=pretty.
The_Phalanx
Legionary
posted 18 May 2006 18:18 EDT (US)     11 / 15       
Severous
Legionary
posted 18 May 2006 18:37 EDT (US)     12 / 15       
^Well done.

The glittering is difficult to catch on screenshots. Even if you see it the glittering effect wears off even when the game is paused.

Flashing red numbers on the unit cards. Red number indicates a recent loss. The flashing red number doesnt indicate another man lost although that is usually happening. The flashing..and increasing speed of flashing is a good sign the unit is loosing men and morale quickly. I have recently hit upon the idea of having my nearby general sound his rally horn when I see a unit flashing red numbers. Calm their morale maybe. Not sure its definately working yet..but I like to think it is.

Gisgo
Legionary
posted 20 May 2006 03:38 EDT (US)     13 / 15       

Quote:

Parthians rule, but here's a challenge I set you-
Train a 1/2 Parthian cav 1/2 Cataphract army late game, but before you have conquered Greece. Ship it to Sparta, don't try to capture any cities, but attack as many armies as possible while marauding through Europe. See where you end up.
I accidently captured Rome while loosing little over 100 men from the army in the whole campain.

I'll give it a try and see what happens! That's pretty amazing that you only lost 100 men in Europe.

FallenImperator
Legionary
posted 20 May 2006 09:52 EDT (US)     14 / 15       
Technically the flashing does have an effect like AOM's seeing as how experience increases attack and defense numbers. Only in RTW it's (mostly) permanent.
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 21 May 2006 12:48 EDT (US)     15 / 15       

Quote:

I'll give it a try and see what happens! That's pretty amazing that you only lost 100 men in Europe

I just sat back and used the cataphracts to break the wavering buggers. half teh casulties were actually friendly fire.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames