You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.18 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » how do you reduce corruption?
Bottom
Topic Subject:how do you reduce corruption?
Jackrum
Legionary
posted 20 May 2006 09:28 EDT (US)         
its costing me 100,000 denerri per turn and i can see its not down to governers as ones without them are have still got a corruption rating
AuthorReplies:
Kaidonni
Legionary
posted 20 May 2006 09:37 EDT (US)     1 / 18       
First off, you need to centralise your capital. The further a settlement is from the capital, the more corruption there will be. Centralising your capital will really help out.

Second, build buildings, such as temples, which give law bonuses. Bring in governors who add to law. If you have the 1.5 patch (and 1.6 if you have BI), then the Academy and the successive upgrades all give a law bonus, and they'll therefore help cut corruption.

Unfortunately, there is only so much you can do. In the end, you will still end up with corruption. You can only do so much. The measures above are the best, by far.

Also check your family members if they themselves have corruption traits. That can hurt your economy if left unchecked. If you get over 50,000 denarii in the bank, and keep it over that, your family members will start to generate corrupt traits, etc. So try to look at the upkeep of your armies, etc, and try to see if you can keep your banked money below 50,000 denarii. Eventually, though, you'll still end up making more money than you can throw a pilum at.

(\_/)
(X.x)---------
()> <()
\/\/\/\/\/\
\/\/\/\/\/\/\
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\This is Bunny roasting on an open fire. Yummy!
yakcamkir
Seraph Emeritus
posted 20 May 2006 09:38 EDT (US)     2 / 18       
Corruption always occurs.

The only way to stop it is to increase the level of law in a settlement, either by building the relevant temples, despotic law buildings (Carthage, Numidia, Egypt, Parthia, Pontus and Armenia only), Building academies (1.5 and later) or by having a governor (or possibly Diplomat, but I'm not sure) with good law traits.

Rome: Total War Heaven | Medieval II: Total War Heaven | Empire: Total War Heaven
"Do not stand behind Satan in the Post Office queue because the devil takes many forms."
"Your front-page picture of Kate Winslet with a plunging neckline being up for two golden globes was most appropriate."

Unpublished letters to the Daily Telegraph
TotalWarFanatic
Legionary
posted 20 May 2006 10:42 EDT (US)     3 / 18       
You say, "Baaaaad governers. Stay, staaaay, stay way from that money, it's not yours!"

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
It would be a violation of my code as a gentleman to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person.-Veeblefester
Ego is the anesthetic for the pain of stupidity.-me A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.
I've put most of my units/skins and ss of them on my new site!:
http://totalwarfantic.tripod.com/
Proud winner of most underrated forumer award!
Ichbinian
Legionary
posted 20 May 2006 10:58 EDT (US)     4 / 18       
And in the worst case scenario, if you can't stand one general, send him into an enemy phalanx.

Ichbinian
Oldie from RTWH!
lars573
Legionary
posted 20 May 2006 11:20 EDT (US)     5 / 18       
If you have problem with corruption turn up the taxes. And build temples that give the law bonuses too. If you put the taxes on high in all your cities with governors you'll end up with better administrators. They may not get managment boosts but they can get the good trader and good farmer traits. These are desireable for a governor because they offset the corruption traits like corrupt and financially irregular. Also every 50000 denarii you have in the bank up too 150000 leads to all your characters getting a check for aquiring a corruption trait. As it stacks up too 150k+. So if you have 1 mil in the bank all your family members are getting a corruption line check (think of it like a roll in an RPG) 3 times per turn.

Your monarchist friend Lars

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Jackrum
Legionary
posted 20 May 2006 14:35 EDT (US)     6 / 18       
but high taxes mean rebellions...cant i just build a golden house like Nero?
yakcamkir
Seraph Emeritus
posted 20 May 2006 14:52 EDT (US)     7 / 18       
The easiest way to reduce your treasury is to bribe enemy diplomats and armies, the next easiest is to maintain a huge standing army (which by the way can also be used for conquest). Just build a full stack and a navy to transport it, load it up and ship it to the front.

Rome: Total War Heaven | Medieval II: Total War Heaven | Empire: Total War Heaven
"Do not stand behind Satan in the Post Office queue because the devil takes many forms."
"Your front-page picture of Kate Winslet with a plunging neckline being up for two golden globes was most appropriate."

maudlin27
Legionary
posted 20 May 2006 15:24 EDT (US)     8 / 18       
Only put high/vhigh taxes in cities with governers, and have those governers preferably in the larger cities closer to your capital (as well as making sure you centralise your capital). That will mean the distance penalties will be reduced so you'll have less of a happiness problem in those cities (and will therefore be able to maintain higher taxes with less risk of riots). Also, train lots of peasants for the cities to help keep order (if you want to use up money you could train higher-tier units instead, although there won't be much point if its in a city a long way from the front line). Finally focus on buildings that improve law and happiness to allow you to reduce corruption and keep taxes at a high level without revolting.
If you've lots of money in your treasury though (which has caused bad governor traits resulting in high corruption/decreased income) then chances are you'll have enough of an income for the corruption not to be a major problem, although reducing it would obviously allow more armies to be supported.
Rabidnid
Banned
posted 20 May 2006 19:38 EDT (US)     9 / 18       
Green is bad, yellow or blue is the only colour for a settlement. I never use governors except when I've just taken a settlement and then only until the unrest dies down. Lots of happy buildings and especially law buildings.
Demolish sewers, clean inhabitants are happy inhabitants, and we don't want that.
DonRaphael
Legionary
posted 20 May 2006 20:48 EDT (US)     10 / 18       
So what Rabidnid, you demolish sewers and buld law and happy buildings?
Doesn't sewers decrease squalor? And that's a good thing... at least what I thought...
Rabidnid
Banned
posted 20 May 2006 21:54 EDT (US)     11 / 18       
Squalor is good, it decreases your population growth, as does high taxes. They also count toward unrest, but the reduction in population growth is the most important thing.

In my current RTR campaign (M/M) I have 61 cities all between 65% and 110% with a few over that despite very high taxes. It takes a bit of juggling but corruption is 40,000 and income 125,000. Mt last BI campaign was similer proporionally on VH/H, but with far fewer cities under control.

[This message has been edited by Rabidnid (edited 05-20-2006 @ 10:10 PM).]

maudlin27
Legionary
posted 21 May 2006 03:30 EDT (US)     12 / 18       
Sewers improve happiness and decrease squalor though - yes they increase the pop growth, but if they allow you to increase taxes from high to very high, the decrease in pop growth from that will counter the effect of the sewers increase.
Rabidnid
Banned
posted 21 May 2006 03:37 EDT (US)     13 / 18       
That's the way its supposed to work, but it dosen't in practice. The net benifit from no sewers is higher than from sewers, so i demolish them all.
yakcamkir
Seraph Emeritus
posted 21 May 2006 06:55 EDT (US)     14 / 18       
That's not actually true. Sewers have great benefit. As population growth is compound growth, then a high early population growth is good. Squalor will increase with population whether you build sewers or not and the reason for the net public order loss by building Sewers is because the population grows faster. This allows access to better technology as you advance and also gains you a little more money in the short term and a lot more in the long term.

DonRaphael
Legionary
posted 21 May 2006 07:41 EDT (US)     15 / 18       
That's what I also thought yakcamir...
I mean, your goal is to get better and higher technology than your enemies so you got to increase the population growth for that.
yakcamkir
Seraph Emeritus
posted 21 May 2006 07:52 EDT (US)     16 / 18       
Squalor does reduce happiness and population growth, but it will happen due to high population anyway. Also, the Public Health bonus reduces the chances of a settlement getting plague and reduces the time to get over the plague.

EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 21 May 2006 12:42 EDT (US)     17 / 18       
dam. A weekend away and every thought from my head on this subject has gone. Damm you!
Try building an Ampetheiter instead of sewers if you don't want a population of a city to explode.

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You

[This message has been edited by EnemyofJupitor (edited 05-21-2006 @ 12:42 PM).]

Rabidnid
Banned
posted 21 May 2006 12:50 EDT (US)     18 / 18       
Yep build everything but sewers, and the only thing in the sewer tech tree is the aquaduct, disgustingly clean and sweet smelling things.

Hey, and what's wrong with plague, it kills loads of your population. This is never a bad thing.

Realisticly sewers only become a problem after you have completed your final level of upgrades, when any means that reduces population growth is good. I've seen people say that pop growth will naturally plateau, but it is not always the case -the Egyptian cities will continue to growth well past 50,000.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames