You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.32 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Rome 2:Total War?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Rome 2:Total War?
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Decius83
Legionary
posted 21 May 2006 22:02 EDT (US)         
Will there be one? Because Medevil looks awesome and all, but I just like the Roman time period, factions, and units. Not to say I won't buy Medevil 2 and love it!
AuthorReplies:
Andariel
Banned
posted 23 May 2006 14:31 EDT (US)     26 / 32       
I'd have to go and buy a whole new computer just to play Rome 2 Total War!! I'd get an Alienware one or something (have to rob a bank first)

Personally, I intensely dislike the Medieval era due to all the ignorance, gothic style buildings, gay clothing and stupid language, and the sheer dirtiness of it all, and the intense piousness ("God wills it!" your response to every action) and the big sheets of metal being worn where you can barely move and can't see anything.

Also, I don't know anything about Medieval battle tactics, so I'd like to know: Was medieval combat the same as Roman/Greek/Ancient tactics where they relied on discipline and formation, or was it just like barbarians and Hollywood, running around killing everything one-man-army style?

EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 23 May 2006 15:05 EDT (US)     27 / 32       

Quote:

Also, I don't know anything about Medieval battle tactics, so I'd like to know: Was medieval combat the same as Roman/Greek/Ancient tactics where they relied on discipline and formation, or was it just like barbarians and Hollywood, running around killing everything one-man-army style?

Dark ages were initially the run around style, except in the Byzantine empire (where they were the hangers on from the Eastern Roman empire) and probebly the middle east/arabs.

The first western Europe tacticians I know of were the franks, specifically Chalmange, who copied teh Byzantine cataphracts and adapted it. Gradually things became more tactical. 1066 is a (dubius) example of the lure tactic. This is basically the start of teh period M2TW will cover.

Quote:

Personally, I intensely dislike the Medieval era due to all the ignorance, gothic style buildings, gay clothing and stupid language, and the sheer dirtiness of it all, and the intense piousness ("God wills it!" your response to every action) and the big sheets of metal being worn where you can barely move and can't see anything

And for those resons (Excep for the 'gay clothing') I love the medeival period

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
Rabidnid
Banned
posted 23 May 2006 15:23 EDT (US)     28 / 32       
Average age of a French Knight was 23. They never drank water only beer or other forms of alcohol, trained relentlessly and were extremely dangerous individuals. They were more-or-less herded into line-of-sight of the enemy and left to do their own thing. English knights were generally as well trained but operated to a plan, their level of alcoholism was as high (no choice, if you drank the water you died) but they operated effectively as mercenaries and so had a interest in the outcome of the battle beyond personal glory, they operated to a plan and had a structure and timetable to which they fought battles. Other knights (including those of Poland, Hungary and Serbia) were a variation on these two themes.

Eastern armies like the Arabs or Turks were professional salaried soldiers for the most part, with the urban levies and tribal contingents matching the French in fevor, if not squalor or smell.

Further East steppe nomads were fairly wild looters and expediters who rarely pushed an outcome too seriously- until Ghengis destroyed the tribal structure and rebuilt the all of central Asia's nations into a single army (not nation). They could drink the water but usualy just put clothes on over the stuff they were wearing and let the old ones rot away and drop out the leg holes - they were also fans of getting royally pissed, but less so than westerners.

China was entierely salaried, but with a psudo-nobility that supplied most of the generals who were on the whole coirrupt and incompetent.

CK the Fat
Legionary
posted 23 May 2006 19:32 EDT (US)     29 / 32       
Right, India and Africa also fall right into the colonial periods. It's just that they are already in close vicinity to Europe, compared to the New World halfway across the globe.

The only trouble with Napoleonic wars would be that armies were no longer just some 10,000 men. They could be in the hundreds of thousands. REAL fps killer.

Anyway,I'd prefer to see an RTW with a new theme, but as I jumped in the series in RTW and never played any other TWs, I don't really care too much... it'll all be new to me.

"Republicans who did not play the patronage game were ridiculed as the Mugwumps for sitting on the fence--their "mugs" on one side of the fence and "wumps" on the other. Historians generally consider this era a low point in American politics."--United States History by John J. Newman and John M. Schmalbach
TotalWarFanatic
Legionary
posted 23 May 2006 20:26 EDT (US)     30 / 32       
Imagine Civil War TW. More Americans dies in that war than any other they've ever fought. Millions. I think they'll wait until PCs improve to make that.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
It would be a violation of my code as a gentleman to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person.-Veeblefester
Ego is the anesthetic for the pain of stupidity.-me A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.
I've put most of my units/skins and ss of them on my new site!:
http://totalwarfantic.tripod.com/
Proud winner of most underrated forumer award!
Ichbinian
Legionary
posted 23 May 2006 21:06 EDT (US)     31 / 32       

Quote:

the sheer dirtiness of it all, and the intense piousness ("God wills it!" your response to every action) and the big sheets of metal being worn where you can barely move and can't see anything.

That's how it was - the pope was very influential and every temporal leader looked to him. Hell, the whole of Europe was Catholic.

Dirtiness? There were more techological advancements in hygene than in Roman times.

Ichbinian
Oldie from RTWH!
TheGoldChevron01
Legionary
posted 24 May 2006 12:25 EDT (US)     32 / 32       
I would think WW2 TW would be really good, but as long as air units were left out, because although they had a main role in the war, i think it would make the game boring as you could just bomb the city, then kill all of the garrison and just march in and you wouldnt really get anywere as you would bomb them and take that city, and they would do the same.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames