You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.5 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Clear something up about SPQR for me, please
Bottom
Topic Subject:Clear something up about SPQR for me, please
Kaidonni
Legionary
posted 22 May 2006 12:37 EDT (US)         
Okay, after talking about modding, etc, at twcenter.net for a campaign I want to play as SPQR, I've become rather concerned. Someone mentioned that the AI doesn't attack SPQR's settlements. Now, from my experience pre-1.3, the Greeks blockaded ports of mine (the turn after I conquered Messana, thank you very much...rofl!) - however, I can't remember about my settlements being attacked themselves. Rome definitely has never been attacked by the other factions when I played - whether that was to do with the save/load bug pre-1.3, I don't know.

I'll be playing 1.3 H/H, don't know if that will affect anything here. No save/load bug as concerns sieges for the most part. And the Roman expansion bug doesn't bother me...I'll wipe out the other Romans first, anyway. I know about all the CTD-inducing buttons, and that may go for victory too (I'll choose a long campaign to be safe, just in case I virtually managed to complete any short campaign goals - I have set some, including destroying all the other Roman factions - just never got all 15 regions and wiped out all three Roman factions, so I have no idea if a CTD is caused by victory as SPQR).

Any help on this AI attacking SPQR settlements query is much appreciated. Thanks.

(\_/)
(X.x)---------
()> <()
\/\/\/\/\/\
\/\/\/\/\/\/\
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\This is Bunny roasting on an open fire. Yummy!
AuthorReplies:
Kaidonni
Legionary
posted 23 May 2006 09:41 EDT (US)     1 / 5       
Anyone? I really need to know this...

Someone must have noticed anything like this about SPQR...

(\_/)
(X.x)---------
()> <()
\/\/\/\/\/\
\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Kromovaracian
Legionary
posted 23 May 2006 10:33 EDT (US)     2 / 5       
I'd really like to help if I can, but if you're talking about the SPQR mod, I'm afraid I can offer no help - but are you asking why other factions aren't attacking SPQR-controlled territories whilst your playing as them?

If that's your question, then the answer from my experience is that factions that have the sea blocking them from hostile territory just tend not to go out of their way to attack you (especially not on Italy), and instead either blockade you or counter your attacks against them. Although the Gauls tend to be a bit aggessive - I wonder why they haven't attacked you yet...

I hope I've understood your question correctly, please correct me if I haven't.

- Nick

Whenever I see "Pinochet" I always think I see "Pinocchio" for a second. It produces a rather odd effect. - Legio Yow

RIP Charlton Heston
Kaidonni
Legionary
posted 23 May 2006 13:04 EDT (US)     3 / 5       
I haven't started as them yet. I have done so before, however I don't recall anyone attacking one of my settlements.

I'm going to be playing as SPQR, virtually no mods installed (some small tweaks of my own, only to expor_descr_units.txt and expor_descr_buildings.txt). All factions playable mod, too, but that shouldn't affect anything. 1.3, H/H.

I'm simply worried that other factions won't actually attack my own settlements. It would be unopposed, and a bit boring...(okay, 'a bit' is an understatment). Someone said something about it on twcenter.net, and I want to do some research BEFORE I go into a campaign I find is flawed due to this single factor alone.

(\_/)
(X.x)---------
()> <()
\/\/\/\/\/\
\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Kromovaracian
Legionary
posted 23 May 2006 15:32 EDT (US)     4 / 5       
Oh, I don't think you need to worry about that - it does depend on the difficulty level but sooner or later other factions will usually attack you.

Having said that, there are a few little things which apply to the SPQR faction (for example I don't THINK their settlements can revolt - but I may be wrong). If you really want to be attacked the usual answer is to raise the campaign difficulty level.

But as I've said, normally factions seperated from you by the sea tend not to go out of their way to attack you. I would take the fight to them in that case - on the high difficulty level you're describing, you'll probably get lots of armies after you if you go and take their land.

By the way, if you look around you do occasionaly see threads that people make saying they do get factions from all over the place attacking them to a ridiculous extent - this is very rare but bare in mind you may just have had a campaign that went the other way (IF that's possible, I've never encountered either extreme)

I hope I've been able to help you

- Nick

Whenever I see "Pinochet" I always think I see "Pinocchio" for a second. It produces a rather odd effect. - Legio Yow

RIP Charlton Heston

[This message has been edited by Kromovaracian (edited 05-23-2006 @ 03:33 PM).]

Kaidonni
Legionary
posted 23 May 2006 17:14 EDT (US)     5 / 5       
Thanks. On Totalwar.org I asked for help too, and something came up about the diplomacy section of the descr_strat.txt...though the entries in that part totally confound me. I'm not sure if they more or less pertain to both starting diplomacy and short campaign diplomacy (where specific factions have to fight one another).

I got paranoid because someone said they didn't think anyone could attack SPQR's cities. The Romans, at least in 1.2, never attacked Rome when I played as SPQR (mind you, all they did was conquer as if there wasn't a civil war...lol).

I also plan to challenge myself to keep public order 75% or above (means messing with tax rates, etc). Just a challenge, to add more flavour.

(\_/)
(X.x)---------
()> <()
\/\/\/\/\/\
\/\/\/\/\/\/\
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames