You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.9 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » problem with units in smaller town/villages
Bottom
Topic Subject:problem with units in smaller town/villages
jameroquai
Legionary
posted 15 July 2006 19:04 EDT (US)         
i have a problem with attacking enemy units when they are in the plaza's. it seems to me that most of the time when i tell a unit to attack and they are facing right infront of them, my unit will go to the corner of the plaza and run from there, this means that the charge is completly wasted. is there a way of stopping this happeneing?
AuthorReplies:
Rabidnid
Banned
posted 15 July 2006 19:29 EDT (US)     1 / 9       
Not that I've noticed. I think if the whole unit is in the plaza they charge in a straight line. I don't know how many times I've marched a unit to the rear of a unit in a plaza and charged, only to have them withdraw onto the road march entirely around to the front of the unit and charge in from there. There is always stray sprites over the place so its nearly impossible to get them all in the plaza.
inkdrinker
Legionary
posted 15 July 2006 19:45 EDT (US)     2 / 9       
Plazas mess things up horribly sometimes. Especially those raised barbarian plazas. Cavalry will stop to walk up the step then attempt to resume the charge like one unit at a time.

Phalanxes sometimes seem to lose their bearing and fight an enemy sideways. They keep the defense bonus instead of getting flanked, but none of the spears are pointed the right way to kill them. Try to turn to face the enemy and they freak out about their flanks and rout sometimes.

Granted, I'm playing 1.0. I was too lazy to repatch when I reinstalled. Maybe some of it's fixed in higher versions?

Aeneas2
Legionary
posted 15 July 2006 20:11 EDT (US)     3 / 9       
No, it really hasn't been fixed much in later patches.

Aeneas l BFME2 Heaven l WiC Heaven
"The most important thing is to remember to have fun! After all, what else could be the point of nuking your friends?" - Cheesewiz
jameroquai
Legionary
posted 15 July 2006 20:39 EDT (US)     4 / 9       
creative assembly wouldn't happen to be trying to make a new patch or was 1.5 the final one. maybe theres a mod that fixes this problem, ill search aroun dif there is.
Severous
Legionary
posted 16 July 2006 03:05 EDT (US)     5 / 9       
The bigger plazas are more prone to this problem than the smaller ones.

Try ordering your unit to a certain spot rather than attacking the enemy? Once your unit crosses the flag line/boundary then order them to attack the enemy.

I wonder if the unit scale makes any difference. Any thoughts ?

CK the Fat
Legionary
posted 16 July 2006 15:19 EDT (US)     6 / 9       
I've found that bigger ones are usually easier, though I agree that the wooden barbarian platforms are just murder.

"Republicans who did not play the patronage game were ridiculed as the Mugwumps for sitting on the fence--their "mugs" on one side of the fence and "wumps" on the other. Historians generally consider this era a low point in American politics."--United States History by John J. Newman and John M. Schmalbach
The Sav
Legionary
posted 16 July 2006 16:06 EDT (US)     7 / 9       
Severous: on Huge unit scale the pathfinding in cities is awful, but i think the plaza issues are the same.
Severous
Legionary
posted 16 July 2006 17:39 EDT (US)     8 / 9       
CK the Fat
Legionary
posted 16 July 2006 18:14 EDT (US)     9 / 9       
Only use of open formation I can think of is to avoid artillary fire, and possibly against arrows for unarmored units.

Maybe it could also be useful when a cavalry unit charges at them... make it so it takes longer to hurt them.

"Republicans who did not play the patronage game were ridiculed as the Mugwumps for sitting on the fence--their "mugs" on one side of the fence and "wumps" on the other. Historians generally consider this era a low point in American politics."--United States History by John J. Newman and John M. Schmalbach
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames