You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.10 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Suicide of faction leader.
Bottom
Topic Subject:Suicide of faction leader.
Ka_Tet
Legionary
posted 16 July 2006 10:24 EDT (US)         
Hello, im still in my first campaign, still a bit of a noob. Im doing well at the mo, just the senate keeps demanding the death of my leader, I have to oebey as my main issue is with the Egyptians at the mo and I dont have enough forces (or money) at home to deflect any attacks as all my large stacks are abroad, any ideas how I can appease the Senate for a good few years??? Thanks very much.
AuthorReplies:
Derek_Th3_Great
Legionary
posted 16 July 2006 11:06 EDT (US)     1 / 10       
Try giving them a gift of Denarii, or kill off your faction leader.

If you must break the law, do it to seize power: in all other cases observe it.
Before all else, be armed.
He who wishes to be obeyed must know how to command
It is better to be feared than loved, if you cannot be both.
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.
TheGoldChevron01
Legionary
posted 16 July 2006 16:04 EDT (US)     2 / 10       
Thats the cue for the civil war. Get all your forces back to italy, Egypt can wait, but the senate cant, as they will just keep telling your leader to die. Take Rome quickly and then keep enough troops to put the romans off of attacking you if your desperate to kill the egyptians, but make sure you take out the senate to stop them demanding your faction leaders death. Let provinces rebel if necessary to get enough troops to Italy though as it will be a tough fight.

[This message has been edited by TheGoldChevron01 (edited 07-16-2006 @ 04:08 PM).]

Severous
Legionary
posted 16 July 2006 17:36 EDT (US)     3 / 10       
Ka_Tet

Suiciding your leader will buy you a little time. But the requests will keep on coming. Do as suggestted and prepare for civil war.

If you are going to fight Romans you may as well capture their regions. Work out how you are going to achieve the 50 regions that you need to win. Maybe you wont need to beat Egypt after all.

Many roman cities away from the front line will be weakly defended.

Inevitably you are going to have some big battles.

Enjoy your game.

Rabidnid
Banned
posted 16 July 2006 18:34 EDT (US)     4 / 10       
Ka_Tet

The fun is about to start

You are about to lose most of your income, as all of the trade with the other roman factions will end in a few turns when they declare war on you. Try to go to peace with everyone who isn't Roman and get set for civil war with spys and good troops at home. You probably won't have time to get a lot from Egypt to Italy so get them into the other faction territories so you can weaken those other factions and strengthen your own.

Your objective now is to make your faction the one and only Roman power over the bodies of all of the other Roman factions and the senate.

People piss and moan about the 3 factions in RTW but this is more fun, and more accurate, than RTR by far

The Sav
Legionary
posted 16 July 2006 20:37 EDT (US)     5 / 10       
If you have stone walls in your roman cities, train a few archers and you will be fine. Whe nyou get sieged, Sally, but just move your general out the gate and back in. THe sieger will usually advance into range of your archers and towers. they, in all thier wisdom, will stand their doing squat, apart from dying.

even if you dont kill them all, you will put a serious dent in their forces, and most often they will break off the siege next turn.

Bribe soem of thier armies in italy too - as you are all roman they will join you rather than disband. Instant army.

Derek_Th3_Great
Legionary
posted 16 July 2006 21:49 EDT (US)     6 / 10       
Usually what I do when the civil war is about to begin is train a lot of assassins. Then one by one each of the roman family members will die, and their armies will be leaderless.

If you must break the law, do it to seize power: in all other cases observe it.
Before all else, be armed.
He who wishes to be obeyed must know how to command
It is better to be feared than loved, if you cannot be both.
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.
Ka_Tet
Legionary
posted 17 July 2006 09:28 EDT (US)     7 / 10       
Thankyou very much for the excellent info guys, will now go and have fun trying to conquer Rome.
Thanatos
Legionary
(id: deathmaster666)
posted 17 July 2006 21:43 EDT (US)     8 / 10       
Oh and by the way, just make sure that you always have your faction heir set to the member of your family you dislike the most, that way once he becomes faction leader, his suicide won't matter. It may even cause you to get a better replacement and by resetting the faction leader after every sucide you can stall the civil war for as long as you like and get rid of sucky members at the same time.

Help me to tally the forums belief patterns, vote in my poll

Tally so far:-
Agnostics:18
Atheists:28
Theists:42
Platonitum
Legionary
posted 18 July 2006 19:31 EDT (US)     9 / 10       
something you can do is to buy diplomatics and to bribe all the roman enemy armies (who still are friends) that are placed in Italy....you must have a lot of money to do that
Spurius Dufus
Legionary
posted 19 July 2006 06:07 EDT (US)     10 / 10       
When you get besieged, sally, but just move your general out the gate and back in. The besieger will usually advance into range of your archers and towers. They, in all their wisdom, will stand there doing squat, apart from dying.

I tried this against a Thracian army that grossly outnumbered me, and it didn't work...they just ran away along my walls -- out of range of the towers -- and formed a battle line on a nearby hill. When I sent my general back inside and quit the battle, with no fighting having occurred, the results screen said I'd suffered a close defeat and deducted 73 casualties from me but only 7 from the enemy!!

Something similar happened again last night - I lined up about 6 units of missile troops and sent two generals and three cavalry out as bait. I figured maybe they won't react unless to a decent-size force.

Again they simply ran away to a position near the corner of the city. I kept on advancing, parallel to my walls, and moved my missile dudes along the walls to the point nearest the Thracian position. I also brought my five Libyan Spears out as support - against a full stack of archers, peltasts, and falx heavy infantry.

The AI then kept sending single units, or pairs of units, towards me. After I'd slaughtered their two Greek cavalry and kiled half an archer unit and routed it, I thought Aaah, what the hell! and sent all five cavalry units straight into the archers and peltasts at one end of their line.

This got four of my five cavalry routed although not before they'd done some serious mischief. The Thracians then advanced again, but still in dribs and drabs, so I routed a few falx units with charges by my spearmen, reforming my line each time. At this point, one of their peltast units did stray into wall range, lost half its guys and routed. So I rallied my cavalry, and did a full-on frontal charge.

This eventually defeated them; I think I killed 400 for the loss of 200 or something. I should probably have broken it off after the initial skirmishes though - at that point I'd probably killed 70 or 80 for the loss of maybe 25 fairly expendable round shield cavalry.

I wonder if the AI goes after your general or not in these situations according to how good he is? If he's got lots of stars, would they run from him because he's too scary, or would they go after him because they particularly want to kill your top boy?

[This message has been edited by Spurius Dufus (edited 07-19-2006 @ 06:10 AM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames