You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.14 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » stupid question about single player
Bottom
Topic Subject:stupid question about single player
htotheh
Legionary
posted 17 July 2006 15:11 EDT (US)         
i just bought the game a few hours ago, i installed it, works fine, runs smoothly, and i played the tutorial for a while until i got the hang of how things work.

then i played "quick battle" and "historic battle" and then i played the campaign. i was wondering, is there a way to play the campaign on single player as some other faction other than the 3 Houses in Italy?

AuthorReplies:
Rabidnid
Banned
posted 17 July 2006 15:20 EDT (US)     1 / 14       
Yes, they want you to play though a short campaign as one of the Roman houses first before the other factions become availible. Even then, not all of them will be availible, but you can use this mod to allow that.

http://rtw.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=3998

[This message has been edited by Rabidnid (edited 07-17-2006 @ 03:21 PM).]

The Sav
Legionary
posted 17 July 2006 15:27 EDT (US)     2 / 14       
Although, i would recommend giving it a go as one of the roman factions first, as they have a few twists the other factions dont.
htotheh
Legionary
posted 17 July 2006 15:30 EDT (US)     3 / 14       
so i have to beat the campaign with a roman faction first to "unlock" the other factions like egypt, germania, gaul, and such?

or do i have to beat the tutorial to unlock it?

Rabidnid
Banned
posted 17 July 2006 15:35 EDT (US)     4 / 14       
Just click on "short campaign" and you have to take 15 areas (cities) to win - and take Rome, but do that last as they are your allies to start with. If you really don't want to play the Romans, then use the mod, but otherwise its not too bad a learning experience to play as Rome as the senate gives you dopey missions and the other factions will look out for you while you work out the campaign mechanics.

[This message has been edited by Rabidnid (edited 07-17-2006 @ 03:36 PM).]

htotheh
Legionary
posted 17 July 2006 15:44 EDT (US)     5 / 14       
2 more questions...

1. how do you make your units go into special formation? such as the phalanx or the one with the shield in front and on top?

2. this forum keeps logging me out, so i have to relog in every time i post something. any method to fix this?

jameroquai
Legionary
posted 17 July 2006 16:02 EDT (US)     6 / 14       
in battle you can see in the bottom right corner specific things to do, such as halt or run, there would be another space if that unit is able to use the special ability like phalanx or shield wall.
not sure about the logging out problem though.
inkdrinker
Legionary
posted 17 July 2006 16:22 EDT (US)     7 / 14       
Only a few units can use certain abilities. Almost everything that can use a phalanx will be Greek-style hoplite units, but there are Egyptian and German spearmen that can use a phalanx also.

The "shield wall" is the Testudo formation and is very specific. Only Roman legionaires can use it, and you won't get them until after the Marian reforms. Your best strategy until then vs. missiles will be to pressure skirmishers by closing ground quickly and making feints with light cavalry to keep them on the run. Sometimes, doing this can provoke them into ill-advised moves.

htotheh
Legionary
posted 17 July 2006 17:18 EDT (US)     8 / 14       
i dont want to flood the forum with threads with one question on each, so i'll post another question here.

when it says X amount is needed to support the troop per turn, does that only apply when the troop is in a settlement? in other words, do troops in an army that's not in a town/city cost money?

Rabidnid
Banned
posted 17 July 2006 17:30 EDT (US)     9 / 14       

Quote:

do troops in an army that's not in a town/city cost money?

Yes.

All troops have an upkeep (they like to be paid basically) irrespective of where they are. You see a lot of quotes in the game about how war is all about having the most money. That's certainly is the case in this game.

Click on the town button and bring up a town scroll on the right side of the screen, then click on the various buttons down the left side of that scroll to bring up other information.

These will tell you things like what that town's income is from trade, taxes and farming.

Making money is the key to winning this game, trade, roads and taxes will be the most important things to keep track of ealy on. Traders and ports are a good idea if you have the money spare, as are the first couple upgrades of farms and the odd mine, likewise if you have the money spare. Keep your taxes as high as you can without the city faces going red or blue.

Rubber Soul 65
Legionary
posted 17 July 2006 18:08 EDT (US)     10 / 14       
Will the all factions mod work with my Gold Edition? I have version 1.3 of RTW apparently

My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori.
inkdrinker
Legionary
posted 17 July 2006 19:02 EDT (US)     11 / 14       
In fact, because standing armies cost so much money, treat any turn that they're not actively out working to capture a city as a turn that you're losing money. Garrison your cities with cheap units unless there's an imminent danger of them being attacked.

Peasants are the most cost-effective way to do that. You might worry that your cities are virtually undefended, but with only very rare exceptions, you'll be keeping anyone close enough to attack on the defensive by consistently taking their cities and destroying their ability to make war. As a precaution, build up your roads early on so that on the rare occasion when someone slips through the cracks and lays siege to your city, you can speed down the roads to get rid of him.

The Sav
Legionary
posted 17 July 2006 20:21 EDT (US)     12 / 14       
Minor correction to Rabidnid: Ports are far and away more important than roads. They bring in many times the amount of wealth. they should be pretty much the first thing you build.
Rabidnid
Banned
posted 17 July 2006 21:32 EDT (US)     13 / 14       

Quote:

Minor correction to Rabidnid: Ports are far and away more important than roads. They bring in many times the amount of wealth. they should be pretty much the first thing you build.

Assuming they have someone to trade with

Roads are also increase the effectiveness of your army by increasing their movement speed. Striking the right balance of roads, ports and other upgrades for your particular trading partners really does depend on your particular circumstances. Sea trade can theoretically bring in a lot of money, but is very vulnerable to pirates, hostile fleets and tends to go poof when you are at war with most of the map.

Generally its easier to clear bandits off your trade routes on land than at sea - and all trade is depedent on who you are at war with and who is trading with you. Taxes are your only truely consistent source of income, trade fluctuates and farming is vulnerable to devastation.

As a blanket rule I get to paved roads before I build a port, and once its built see what cities that town is trading with (its listed in the scrolls I mentioned above) to decide what gets built next.

jrv2005
Banned
posted 18 July 2006 18:06 EDT (US)     14 / 14       
why is it that people continue to post after the origional person's question had already been answered by the first person. the thread called "things i don't care about" or something like that started of with an inescent question about something in the game and turned into a religious debate about why people are different races. Not exactly sure how...but it did.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames