Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.11 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Boring after a while
Bottom
Topic Subject:Boring after a while
Opeth
Legionary
posted 17 July 2006 19:18 EDT (US)         
Hi all. this is first post. Been reading around for a while and it seems like a great forum.

To the topic, I've been playing RTW for maybe 5-6 months now. After the first 20-40 rounds im getting bored. Dont misunderstand me now, the game is great.
But it's to reapeting later on.
Full stack battles all the time, huge amount of money, cities going berserk, and so on.
So i start a new campaign (again.. already? -yes) and lalala, building my little nice empire, taking care of the money problems and voila, there again. And the most boring thing is to fight full stacks of phalanx troops almost each round.

I am trying to get the sparkle back and need a "new way" of playing the game, anyone got some advice to perhaps a little more odd way of playing or perhaps more challenging.
Im gonna try Numida on VH/VH now

Thanks to any advice.
Cheers

AuthorReplies:
Teh_Diplomat
Legionary
posted 17 July 2006 19:50 EDT (US)     1 / 11       
Short Campaign may be your solution.

Or if you get bored of fighting as you put it "Full Stack VS. Full Stack" try breaking your army into 2-3 groups and traveling together. that way when you engage in combat you'll start surrounding the enemy.

Rabidnid
Banned
posted 17 July 2006 19:57 EDT (US)     2 / 11       
Barbarian Invasion expansion.

No phalanx, but a lot of other new infantry types. Rome is totally different to run and the barbarians vastly different as well. The hordes are similar to each other but still have a diverse range of troops, and as they are all moving and agressive campaign outcomes tend to be more diverse as well.

Different factions have a different feel. I tended to play Germania after the first few runs of Roma and the Selucids. But since I shifted to BI there is no going back. The AI in BI is a lot smarter and the extra complexity of balancing religion on top of everything else makes expanded much harder - combined with no pikes it makes for much more interesting, fluid battles.

[This message has been edited by Rabidnid (edited 07-17-2006 @ 07:58 PM).]

The Sav
Legionary
posted 17 July 2006 20:18 EDT (US)     3 / 11       
or play around with the game files to make it harder for you - start with 10 gold, hardly any troops, and maybe give your neighbours a full stack or two.
Thanatos
Legionary
(id: deathmaster666)
posted 17 July 2006 21:23 EDT (US)     4 / 11       
BI is shorter, harder and more unpredictable as well.

Help me to tally the forums belief patterns, vote in my poll

Tally so far:-
Agnostics:18
Atheists:28
Theists:42
Opeth
Legionary
posted 17 July 2006 22:13 EDT (US)     5 / 11       
Thanks for the replies.

I've got BI but i didnt really get stuck to it. I dont know why, maybe i should give it a new try now.

Well, i could tell you the Numidia campaign is kicking my butt.
so, this was my Numidia campaign with Terrae Expugnandae mod.
I never go to the territories around modernday Algeria, Morocco or so in my campaigns. And i start out with one settlement and a halfstack with troops. So i was running around in the desert cuz i didnt know where the settlements was and lost alot of money becuse of the upkeep of the troops. after maybe 6-7 turns i found a settlement! ah! while my diplomat attempt to sell map information i attacked the settlement and at the first battle i lost my faction leader.. But took the settlement
anyhow, now i had around -7000 denarii and had no money to build roads with in the new settlement. So i keept running around in the deserts and scouting for more settlement while my faction still was losing money.
Finally, i found other settlement. Just when i was about to attack the settlement Carthage attacked and took my Capital. And i had nothing to encounter them with. A defeat.
Perhaps this is a challenge enough for the moment.

jrv2005
Banned
posted 17 July 2006 22:37 EDT (US)     6 / 11       
Whatever you do DON'T buy the Alexander pack. its NOT worth it. You could try modding and getting new armies to play with.
Rabidnid
Banned
posted 18 July 2006 00:14 EDT (US)     7 / 11       
"toggle_fow" once in a while to work out where the cities if you are playing without a map.

BI is great, give the Sassanids a go, they are probably the most straight-forward of the factions to run.

Alexander is certainly not what I expected, but swiping all of the indian skins has given me a much prettier and more exotic looking Sassanid army

Godfried Van B
Legionary
posted 18 July 2006 05:30 EDT (US)     8 / 11       
ive heard that rtr is harder and more challenging maybe you must download that...

one land,one king
Epo
Legionary
posted 18 July 2006 05:42 EDT (US)     9 / 11       
I found the AI in RTR silly as a goat. It would often send its troops attacking you one unit at a time and deploy troops in small clusters instead of concentrated so you could deal with one part at the time.

The AI in BI is alot more aggressive which makes it more challenging, its also good at using superiority in archers against you by raining arrows on you before attacking.

This said I think BI lacks some of the feel RTW got, so I would love to have the AI of BI patched onto RTW.

Soccerguy828
Legionary
posted 18 July 2006 06:31 EDT (US)     10 / 11       
get mods mate! there's tons of good ones out there. like the Extended Greek Mod., Terrae Expugdane (or somewit like that), RTR, Iberia TW, Europa Barborum, just to name a few.
Opeth
Legionary
posted 18 July 2006 06:53 EDT (US)     11 / 11       
@jrv2005
I got no plans to buy it
but i've heard that the AI has been improved alot. Could not they make a improvment in RT:w also? With a patch or so.

@Rabidnid
Maybe that would be an option. Hehe, only tried once and i got this "follow AI movment" on so each round took a year

@Godfried Van B
As EPO says, i didnt find it much challenging. AI was quite stupid in some moves.

@EPO
Lacks the feeling? yes, that could be it. It feels like the skins are little more poorly done in BI.
Acually i like RT:w more cuz i feel more familiar with it. In BI i got no tactics or dont know which factions are good. But as Rabidnid said, i also like Sassanids

@Soccerguy828
I got RTR, Terrae Expugnandae and Chivalry but the last one, i've never tried.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames