You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.5 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Is it true?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Is it true?
blademind
Legionary
posted 17 July 2006 20:43 EDT (US)         
was The roman civil war historically accurate? did it really happen? if so who won it?(julius ceaser was a julii? doesnt cesar mean emperor?)who is the CURRENT ( at any point in the game) emperor, cuz wasnt there always an emperor and a senate ( some of my facts i got from gladiator the movie)
AuthorReplies:
General Emu
Legionary
posted 17 July 2006 22:28 EDT (US)     1 / 5       
Before Ceaser there was just a senate, after Ceaser there always was a senate and an emperor. However the senate never really held any power and the emperors just kept them around to keep the people happy. Ceaser does mean emperor but that is only because Ceaser was the first ruler, and the fact that people wanted to be like him (might be wrong on that). There was a civil war between Ceaser and Pompey (Ceaser won DUH). So I guess that the Roman civil war in the game is sort of accurate, but it took place WAY before it acually happened. Also since the game takes place before the times of Ceaser there would be no emperors, only the senate.

Hope this helps...

inkdrinker
Legionary
posted 17 July 2006 22:50 EDT (US)     2 / 5       
Caesar was killed in 44 BC. Contrast that to RTW where the civil war usually goes down before 200 BC. It's accurate in that the generals of varying patrician families made names for themselves in conquering varying places, (including Caesar, one of the Julii, conquering Gaul,) and that they had some degree of administrative control over the lands they took. But they're certainly not operating independently in real history, and for any soldier to refer to their general as "imperator" would be outright treasonous. While the generals couldn't be kept under 100% control, they didn't operate as separate factions. They were united under the Roman banner. The game treats them as separate factions to make a civil war possible.

The emperor was something established after Caesar. When Caesar was killed, three men vied for Caesar's power. The victor, Caesar's adopted son Octavian who took on the name Augustus Caesar. When he passed power to his son, that's the establishment of the Roman principate. Future emperors would take on the "Caesar" name to assume the glory and dignitas that Gaius Julius Caesar had earned. It essentially became something of a royal honorific.

GMRage
Legionary
posted 18 July 2006 00:31 EDT (US)     3 / 5       
blademind,

You sound like someone who likes movies, so I'll assume you have seen the new starwars movies: Episodes I, II & III.

This is almost the story of the roman empire. In starwars, there is a galactic senate, mirroring the actual roman senate.

The Starwars prequel story: An old republic & senate which is effectively impotent & beaurocracy-bound. A power hungry senator who sees an opportunity to 'improve' the system starts a civil war in order to build his own private army. The army, now loyal to one person, not the senate, brings "peace" to the galaxy.

Compare that to the roman story:
Early on, the romans were ruled by kings & petty tyrants. The roman people eventually rose up & overthrew the kings & established a senate, a council of 'equals' to govern the people. After several centuries, the roman senate was no longer fairly representing the masses from around the empire (since it became dominated by the nobility & rich of rome) & only citizens were allowed to vote & become senators - but then only romans (from italy) were allowed to be citizens.

Eventually the senate changed from looking after the people, to looking after the senators. Marius &, later on, Julius Caesar championed the common people, changing the requirements for military service & the distribution of food for the people of rome. They also conducted successful military campaigns, becoming popular with both the people & the senate. They eventually siezed power (through the triumvirates) to nominally 'bypass' the beaurocracy & self-interest of the senate. Eventually, Caesar ruled rome on his own, following the elimination of his rivals. He was only ever a dictator of rome - he never claimed the title of emperor & repeatedly declined the offer made by his own supporters to take up the title.

Perhaps the Starwars dictator/Emperor Palpatine is most similar to Cornelius Sulla.

As for historically accurate? Absolutely not. Perhaps the factions should be renamed to Julii, Pompeii & Crassii. (the last triumvirate) - that may be closer to history. There were many other equally important patrician families in roman history, so how else would they divide the factions? The game designers had to make some choices. Historically, there were no separate roman factions operating autonomously within the empire - there was ONE senate, ONE republic. R:TW is meant to be a simulation of the republic of Rome, up until the time of the dictators.

This is reflected in the Rome: Total Realism mod.

(I still haven't installed it so don't ask me anything else about it)

GM

Stupid questions & their appropriate responses from an Australian tourism web site:

Q: Which direction is North in Australia? (USA)
A: Face south and then turn 180 degrees. Contact us when you get here and we'll send the rest of the directions.

[This message has been edited by GMRage (edited 07-18-2006 @ 00:35 AM).]

Derek_Th3_Great
Legionary
posted 18 July 2006 02:13 EDT (US)     4 / 5       
The Roman Civil War was between the optimates(led by Pompey), and the populares(led by Caesar). Caesar ended up winning as you can see.

If you must break the law, do it to seize power: in all other cases observe it.
Before all else, be armed.
He who wishes to be obeyed must know how to command
It is better to be feared than loved, if you cannot be both.
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.
Spurius Dufus
Legionary
posted 18 July 2006 08:08 EDT (US)     5 / 5       
Caesar has entered several languages as a word meaning 'supreme ruler'. In German there is Kaiser and in Russian Czar or Tsar. All derived from Gaius Julius Caesar.

You have really arrived when your name becomes synonymous with power, and still is, 2,000 years later...Fabius' name also entered the language, as in 'Fabian', but if I were him I'd be a lot less proud of that...

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames