You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.12 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » What are they trying to accomplish?
Bottom
Topic Subject:What are they trying to accomplish?
Chalupa Batman
Centurion
(id: ccsantos)
posted 15 October 2006 05:07 EDT (US)         
They've lost and lost and lost against me. I guess they figure they'll defeat me sometime?

As-Salaam-Alaikum
AuthorReplies:
yesokalright
Legionary
posted 15 October 2006 06:06 EDT (US)     1 / 12       
i hate it when that happenes...battles are fun, but they get tiresome when you have to fight more then 3 a turn...damnit, i would prefer 1 a turn, if that...
yakcamkir
Seraph Emeritus
posted 15 October 2006 06:49 EDT (US)     2 / 12       
If you look at Sicily, they have more troops there than you.

You need to put more troops there and take Messana and Syracuse to stop them. Also, from there, the step to Croton, Tarentum, Capua and Rome isn't too big, especially if you do all four at once and hold the Brutii and Greeks off with your navy.

Rome: Total War Heaven | Medieval II: Total War Heaven | Empire: Total War Heaven
"Do not stand behind Satan in the Post Office queue because the devil takes many forms."
"Your front-page picture of Kate Winslet with a plunging neckline being up for two golden globes was most appropriate."

Unpublished letters to the Daily Telegraph
Chalupa Batman
Centurion
posted 15 October 2006 13:20 EDT (US)     3 / 12       
This is the first campaign the Greeks have actually done well in. I kind of don't want to destroy them. I want to see what they have going for them. Should I sell them Lilybaeum and do what Hannibal the Conqueror did, travel up through spain toward northern Italy and attack from the north down Italy's boot? I really feel sympathetic for the Greek Cities because they always get snuffed out in all my other campaigns!

As-Salaam-Alaikum

[This message has been edited by CCSANTOS (edited 10-15-2006 @ 01:23 PM).]

yakcamkir
Seraph Emeritus
posted 15 October 2006 20:10 EDT (US)     4 / 12       
You could sell them Lilybaeum in return for an alliance, but I wouldn't trust them too far if I were you.

Rome: Total War Heaven | Medieval II: Total War Heaven | Empire: Total War Heaven
"Do not stand behind Satan in the Post Office queue because the devil takes many forms."
"Your front-page picture of Kate Winslet with a plunging neckline being up for two golden globes was most appropriate."

Seleucia Reborn
Legionary
posted 15 October 2006 20:15 EDT (US)     5 / 12       
you could always sell them lilybaeum but it would'nt do your economy negood and they would most likely start another war with you by either blockading a port or landing troops at Carthage. If I were you i would put all available resources into the war with greece and send maybe another army or 2 then go on a blitzkrieg till they lose any presence on Sicily.
VaderMan108
Legionary
posted 15 October 2006 20:17 EDT (US)     6 / 12       
Historically, I'd trust them, as they are loyal.

Game-wise...Just roll with it. It's a game, after all.

)(=-=-=-=-={|//////////////////////////////////////////)
Looking to join a designing group. Enough said.
Chalupa Batman
Centurion
posted 15 October 2006 20:53 EDT (US)     7 / 12       
What would you do? Given the look of the map right now?

(BTW, I destroyed the Scipii relatively quickly because I fought 3 of there generals in one battle, killed them all, then when the turn ended I had destroyed them! haha...it was pretty sweet. Now I'm letting The Greeks take the old Scipii city as you can see in the picture to see what they plan to do next.

I can guarentee they will never take Lilybaeum from me, superior walls, slingers, generals and cavalry. They don't stand a chance because they are mostly compromised of phalanxes, so trying to take Lilybaeum would be useless of an effort for them. That is why my question in this topic heading was "what are they trying to accomplish?" LOL.

I will make a save of the game and try and sell them it for an alliance. I bet they'll deny it though.

As-Salaam-Alaikum

[This message has been edited by CCSANTOS (edited 10-15-2006 @ 08:56 PM).]

PrivateClark
Legionary
posted 15 October 2006 23:26 EDT (US)     8 / 12       
I dont know, they have a lot of full stack armies there, either way, you wont be able to hold lilabeyum for long as your money is almsot nil and so---> can't recruit anymore units---> Greeks finaly attack with their whole army---> You lose lilyabeaum... Also, phalanx (in formation) are more resistant to arrow fire and you can only take down so much infantry before your own infantry start to progressivly die. If the Greeks keep attacking and you have no rescources, then eventualy, your soldiers are gonna get worn down and eventualy lose.

Lets face it. When the money isnt there, the army isnt there. And so, you are playing with a crumbling empire.

I tend to be pessimist...lolz

Chalupa Batman
Centurion
posted 15 October 2006 23:38 EDT (US)     9 / 12       
Here's how it stands.

What you see is the Greek army half depleted from the first screen shot. I took all my cavalry back to Carthage to retrain them. Now I am bringing them back with additional Sacred Band Cavalry and Armoured Elephants and some more Generals. The city of Lilybaeum took a massive siege from armoured hoplites, archers, and militia cavalry, but they held off under the General Thero who is in the city at the age of 17 LOL. Should I send my cavalry to the city's aid or should I let the Greeks take the city?

(Here's a quickie from siege of Lilybaeum, my skirmishers really took it to the hoplites! Do you see the armoured hoplite falling? That's my favorite haha!)

As-Salaam-Alaikum

[This message has been edited by CCSANTOS (edited 10-15-2006 @ 11:42 PM).]

Brittano Iberian
Legionary
posted 16 October 2006 05:27 EDT (US)     10 / 12       
Hi CCsantos.

I know what its like, sometimes a player feels sympathy for a historical faction...

In the end its going to boil down to who control scicily. You or them.
So either sacrifice your city either by trading it for peace or simply abandoning it at moving to that ex-scipii city.
Or if you don't want to lose your foothold, remove the greek presence.

If you do take those cities, it might be interesting to see the effect it has on the rest of their empire. The economic lose of those 2 cities might make them lose ground in asia minor...

"Men make gods in their own image; those of the Ethiopians are black and snub-nosed, those of the Thracians have blue eyes and red hair."
Xenophanes

Where I work. Costa del Sol property
Costa del Sol business
Costa del Sol Blog
yakcamkir
Seraph Emeritus
posted 16 October 2006 08:14 EDT (US)     11 / 12       
On reflection, put your main effort into taking Sicily for yourself. Get troops there and take out the Greek armies, take Messana and then Syracuse.

After that, go for Tarentum and Croton, then Capua and Rome, then Arretium and Arminium and so on up as far as Patavium and Mediolanium.

Chalupa Batman
Centurion
posted 27 October 2006 01:15 EDT (US)     12 / 12       

I took my cavalry and met 4000 greeks :P...it was sweet.

As-Salaam-Alaikum
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames