Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.14 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » 21-unit stack
Bottom
Topic Subject:21-unit stack
Spurius Dufus
Legionary
posted 22 October 2006 19:33 EDT (US)         
I didn't realise this was possible.

My general-less full-stack army heavily defeated several Roman attacks with very light casualties.

A MoTH message duly popped up, so I accepted the guy and when I click on that army it now has a general with bodyguard - plus the original 20 units. There is a scroll chevron top-right in the units pane, which you can click on to get another page of unit cards. That second page shows the 21st unit with 19 empty slots.

I haven't seen this mentioned before. Is it normal or did I stumble upon a new way to screw up?

[This message has been edited by Spurius Dufus (edited 10-23-2006 @ 05:47 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
blademind
Legionary
posted 22 October 2006 19:52 EDT (US)     1 / 14       
ive never seen this myself but i would say take advantage of it, 40 units on the field limit is amazing

Ive always found it annoying that the only way to have more than 20 units is using AI which is much much stupider than enemy AI

anyway the new general army thing is normal, one unit is removed from the army and given a bodyguard- the two page gap i dont know about...

"I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who overcomes his enemies." - Aristotle
DominicusUltimus
Legate
posted 22 October 2006 21:44 EDT (US)     2 / 14       
It sounds like a bug, but it's one bug I wouldn't mind having I think. I think the most I've ever fielded was 3,000+ in a phalanx/cavalry/elephant full stack army. Don't know about everyone else but to me your discovery sounds awesome.

"Life is more fun when you are insane. Just let go occasionally".- yakcamkir 12:14
"It is not numbers, but vision that wins wars." - Antiochus VII Sidetes
"My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel Grayhair
Angel of Total War: Rome II Heaven and the Total War: Attila Forums
Spurius Dufus
Legionary
posted 23 October 2006 05:46 EDT (US)     3 / 14       
I'll grab a screenshot later and put it up. I have yet to try adding further units to see if I can complete the second 'page' and get to 40.

It's weird because the game handles this OK otherwise. If you have a full stack in a city and someone comes of age in that city, for instance, one unit is displaced outside the city and starts off a new stack.

bandicoot
Legionary
posted 23 October 2006 11:20 EDT (US)     4 / 14       
I'm pretending I know the rationale for the 20-unit limit but am just guessing it has to do with the logistics of actually running any single army any larger than that are just not possible.
Andariel
Banned
posted 23 October 2006 13:10 EDT (US)     5 / 14       
In my games, the ******* AI ALWAYS gets more than 20 units in their armies. Up to 23, I've seen, but never fully stacked, only when they've been cut to pieces, and have like 1 unit of 21 men or 1 unit of 3 men

[This message has been edited by yakcamkir (edited 10-23-2006 @ 01:37 PM).]

yakcamkir
Seraph Emeritus
posted 23 October 2006 13:52 EDT (US)     6 / 14       

Quoted from Andariel:

In my games, the ******* AI ALWAYS gets more than 20 units in their armies. Up to 23, I've seen, but never fully stacked, only when they've been cut to pieces, and have like 1 unit of 21 men or 1 unit of 3 men

Firstly, stop bypassing the swear filter. It's there for a reason and I'm tired of editing out bypasses. If you keep it up, I'll warn/ban you.

Also, the AI army scroll has nine spaces on a row. Therefore, a full stack has two cards on the third row.

Rome: Total War Heaven | Medieval II: Total War Heaven | Empire: Total War Heaven
"Do not stand behind Satan in the Post Office queue because the devil takes many forms."
"Your front-page picture of Kate Winslet with a plunging neckline being up for two golden globes was most appropriate."

Unpublished letters to the Daily Telegraph
Spurius Dufus
Legionary
posted 26 October 2006 08:15 EDT (US)     7 / 14       
OK, here are the screengrabs of my 21-unit stack. In the first grab, note the little chevron top right in the unit cards pane:-

When you click on that you get a second pane:-

Weird huh??

Sorry about the white space, I did these using MSPaint and don't know how to get rid of them.

bandicoot
Legionary
posted 26 October 2006 08:20 EDT (US)     8 / 14       
That is cool ... have never seen that before
yakcamkir
Seraph Emeritus
posted 26 October 2006 12:34 EDT (US)     9 / 14       
I've never seen that before, but then I've never had a MOTH in a full stack. I always assumed they would just spawn the general next to the rest of the army.

Quote:

Sorry about the white space, I did these using MSPaint and don't know how to get rid of them.

You need to drag the edge of the picture in to the edge you want, using the faint little toggles halfway down each edge.

Rome: Total War Heaven | Medieval II: Total War Heaven | Empire: Total War Heaven
"Do not stand behind Satan in the Post Office queue because the devil takes many forms."
"Your front-page picture of Kate Winslet with a plunging neckline being up for two golden globes was most appropriate."

mikecz
Legionary
posted 26 October 2006 20:38 EDT (US)     10 / 14       
Definitely let us see pics if you're allowed to merge more units into this super army!
Pertti Susilainen
OD Loaf-ward
(id: Sukkit)
posted 27 October 2006 06:02 EDT (US)     11 / 14       
Yeah, if you manage to get 40 units into the same army you should take a screenshot of their battle formation. Attack some rebels if you must, but that'd be definitely worth seeing.

Hu seo rag gewat, genap under nihthelm, swa heo no wre
"As for the comment made by eithyddyswcitwr, could you please post back with better grammar that we can all understand, thankyou."
Winner of Sul's Most Obvious Comment Award
Tsunami StudiosWildfire Games
The Frankish Throne (4.6)
yakcamkir
Seraph Emeritus
posted 27 October 2006 08:28 EDT (US)     12 / 14       
My worry would be that it might cause a CTD. It's definitely worth a try though.

DominicusUltimus
Legate
posted 27 October 2006 08:30 EDT (US)     13 / 14       
Maybe it has something to do with his unit size setting. I've always played on huge so I don't know what happens in the other unit setting games.

"Life is more fun when you are insane. Just let go occasionally".- yakcamkir 12:14
"It is not numbers, but vision that wins wars." - Antiochus VII Sidetes
"My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel Grayhair
Angel of Total War: Rome II Heaven and the Total War: Attila Forums
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 27 October 2006 12:07 EDT (US)     14 / 14       
That's a bug.
That's a bug I want.
Post a battle picture here, see if it doesn't CTD

Oh, and can you add more units, since you've got all that space...

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames