You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.3 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Phalanx Pikemen v/s Nubians
Bottom
Topic Subject:Phalanx Pikemen v/s Nubians
Ar_Kai
Legionary
posted 23 October 2006 05:09 EDT (US)         
I don't get this. I was fighting a battle against the Egyptians as the Seleucids, on VH. Their army was one Nubian Spearmen unit. I had two skirmishers, a phalanx pikemen and a Greek cavalry.

My skirmishers used their ammo on the Nubians, who were reduced to 40 or so men. I then moved my pikemen up to attack the Nubians.

Result: I won, but lost almost half the phalanx pikemen. Despite the fact that it is very hard, I don't see how that works.

AuthorReplies:
TheGoldChevron01
Legionary
posted 23 October 2006 06:50 EDT (US)     1 / 3       
Maybe the nubians were really really well upgraded?
yakcamkir
Seraph Emeritus
posted 23 October 2006 08:36 EDT (US)     2 / 3       
You have to have your line a similar width to theirs. Also, once you are engaged, charge your skirmishers into the enemy rear and right flank. The cavalry will probably die from all of the spears that are around, but the skirmishers won't have that problem.

Rome: Total War Heaven | Medieval II: Total War Heaven | Empire: Total War Heaven
"Do not stand behind Satan in the Post Office queue because the devil takes many forms."
"Your front-page picture of Kate Winslet with a plunging neckline being up for two golden globes was most appropriate."

Unpublished letters to the Daily Telegraph
Chalupa Batman
Centurion
(id: ccsantos)
posted 23 October 2006 19:58 EDT (US)     3 / 3       
If the Nubian unit has a captain in it and its pikemen versus nubian, then captain and his men will last a lot longer because that unit will be happy to have the commander with them. Unless you effectively scare their troops by positioning your cavalry behind the nubians for example and threatening to weaken them as yakcamkir said, you should not sustain as many losses. Exposed flanks frighten the enemy

As-Salaam-Alaikum

[This message has been edited by CCSANTOS (edited 10-23-2006 @ 07:59 PM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames