Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.4 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » archer problem
Bottom
Topic Subject:archer problem
Crom777
Legionary
posted 25 October 2006 08:10 EDT (US)         
This is problem is especially in multiplayer but i post it here.. Here is an example: you have archerbattle and you enemy brings some heavily armoured unit in front of his archers, and your archers start shooting at that unit.I know you can always move to a better position but this is not the case. Your archers shoould have enough brains to shoot at those enemy archers.
AuthorReplies:
Kaidonni
Legionary
posted 25 October 2006 10:47 EDT (US)     1 / 4       
The enemy are in their line of fire, simple as that. OR you need to turn fire at will off and micro-manage your archers.

(\_/)
(X.x)---------
()> <()
\/\/\/\/\/\
\/\/\/\/\/\/\
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\This is Bunny roasting on an open fire. Yummy!
bandicoot
Legionary
posted 25 October 2006 13:59 EDT (US)     2 / 4       
Archery shooting head on at any infantry or any heavily armed units, especially those with shields, tend not to do a whole lot of damage.

Now, take those archers and, if you can, try to move them along so that they flank the units and VOILA ... you at least double the casualty rate.

As an aside, here's a fairly successful strategy if you're inside an enemy city and all you have is an archer unit or two and the enemy has a much stronger unit like an urban cohort parked in the plaza:

- approach the plaza with Fire at Will turned off and creep onto the edge of the plaza ... cohorts hate that as if they'd just mopped the place and you're tracking muddy invader footprints all over the terrazzo.
- as soon as you start muddying the edge of the plaza the cohort will move to attack, but don't fire at them yet as you'll just be wasting ammo (you'll be lucky to get one of them and you won't have time for much more than one volley).
- when they get reasonably close but not close enough to toss their ammo at you start retreating.
- The enemy will follow you as long as you don't get too far from them and they don't get too far from the plaza
- as soon as they turn to go back to the plaza is your chance to start peppering them with arrows. You'll take a fair chunk of them out each volley depending upon the experience level of your archers, but it should be anywhere between 3 and 10 guys you nail at a time.
- repeat as necessary until they're all gone ...

I've used this a few times to successfully take down a much stronger army after I stupidly lost my infantry to pathing goofs that took the infantry the long way around buildings right by enemy towers.

ah well ... veni, vidi, get the heck outta my way I'm getting killed....

yakcamkir
Seraph Emeritus
posted 25 October 2006 16:41 EDT (US)     3 / 4       
A good one for taking out generals is to fire at them from over buildings. The general charges through the streets in a predictable fashion, straight into the Hoplites waiting for them. This also works with any melee cavalry or missile cavalry that has run out of ammo.

Rome: Total War Heaven | Medieval II: Total War Heaven | Empire: Total War Heaven
"Do not stand behind Satan in the Post Office queue because the devil takes many forms."
"Your front-page picture of Kate Winslet with a plunging neckline being up for two golden globes was most appropriate."

Unpublished letters to the Daily Telegraph
Sardonac
Legionary
posted 26 October 2006 17:04 EDT (US)     4 / 4       
I always find the problem for me is that my arcs can never do much damage to any roman infantry. Even from behind I only get like 2 histati in 5 volleys.

(\__/)GOODBYE STEVE IRWIN RIP
(O.o )
(> < ) No matter who you are, or where you from, or what language you speak, the story of the spartan and the fox is still pretty morbid.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames