You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.5 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Strange things as the Seleucids
Bottom
Topic Subject:Strange things as the Seleucids
Ar_Kai
Legionary
posted 26 October 2006 04:25 EDT (US)         
Can anyone explain?

I was playing my Seleucid campaign today. All was going well, but two strange things happen.

The first started with the siege of Corinth, at the time owned by the Greeks. I assaulted the city and conquered it. As soon as I do, I get a message saying 'Alliance in Tatters'. There goes my alliance with Gaul. Greece and Gaul have no diplomatic relations. What happened.

The second was not long before I stopped. One of my cities, Petra, rebelled, seemingly without cause, and became a Parthian city.

1. The city had not been rioting ever and
2. Why did it become Parthian and not rebel. The Parthians have never owned it, and it is nowhere near their territory (Campus Sakae and Alanni).

AuthorReplies:
DominicusUltimus
Legate
posted 26 October 2006 04:39 EDT (US)     1 / 5       
Not sure about your first problem, but there are two possibilities that I can think of for your traitorous city.

1. Similar Culture: If a city rebels and it is predominately(mostly) more of another culture than your own then it will turn inot a city for a faction with that culture. Example: The Romans capture an Egyptian city but it is still 60% Egyptian. It rebels and will either become an Egyptian city again or an Eastern faction city.

2. It was bribed: It happens occasionally especially by factions with a ton of income. The city is bought off along with any culturally similar units being "turned" to the enemy's side. Any units that are culturally different from the bribing faction disappear or disband.

I think that covers it but i might be wrong on some parts.
Hope this helps.
-Dominicus

"Life is more fun when you are insane. Just let go occasionally".- yakcamkir 12:14
"It is not numbers, but vision that wins wars." - Antiochus VII Sidetes
"My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel Grayhair
Angel of Total War: Rome II Heaven and the Total War: Attila Forums
bandicoot
Legionary
posted 26 October 2006 08:29 EDT (US)     2 / 5       
I'd like to be able to say that the city being bribed has never happened to me but that'd be a lie.

Maybe the "Alliance in Tatters" message is a bug but one that occurs so rarely that no one's ever bothered to fix it (or question it). If you have a saved game from recently before you took Corinth maybe you could check the diplomatic relations between Greece and Gaul.

Then again, maybe the Gauls just had a fetish for that fine Corinthian leather? They strike me as the whips, leather and chains type. No? Aw ...

I played a game as the Scipii once and at the time I made contact with the Gauls they had 8 settlements and huge armies. A few turns later as I was approaching Osca to sack I got an end of turn message saying "Faction of Gaul Destroyed" ... huh? And all their settlements reverted to rebels/gladiators. Very very very weird. It's like the disappearance of the Etruscans.

mikecz
Legionary
posted 26 October 2006 12:11 EDT (US)     3 / 5       
If you're playing an older version of the game, especially 1.0 or 1.1, bribery was totally crazy - both for and against you.

@ bandicoot:
Likewise, in early versions, it was much easier to kill off all of a faction's family members & then any remaining cities of that faction would go rebel. With v1.5, tho, it seems that unless you can whack ALL of a faction's family members in the same turn the AI gives them new people, I think as candidates for adoption that we don't see behind the scenes. Several of us have seen cases where we have a faction on the ropes, down to only their faction leader & 1 or 2 cities. But we have to lay seige to that last city to get that last guy. Over the end-of-turn, the game generates 2 or 3 more family members! - kinda shocking if our seige army was sorta minimalist.

yakcamkir
Seraph Emeritus
posted 26 October 2006 12:30 EDT (US)     4 / 5       

Quote:

The first started with the siege of Corinth, at the time owned by the Greeks. I assaulted the city and conquered it. As soon as I do, I get a message saying 'Alliance in Tatters'. There goes my alliance with Gaul. Greece and Gaul have no diplomatic relations. What happened.

I've never seen it, but maybe Greece had just made an alliance with Gaul. You would be attacking a neutral faction (Greece) which is allied to one of your allies (Gaul). If you are talking about it happening when you actually conquer the city, then I have no idea though.

Quote:

1. The city had not been rioting ever and
2. Why did it become Parthian and not rebel. The Parthians have never owned it, and it is nowhere near their territory (Campus Sakae and Alanni).

Parthia were the faction creator. It's the same reason that Cyrene rebels and joins Macedon.

Rome: Total War Heaven | Medieval II: Total War Heaven | Empire: Total War Heaven
"Do not stand behind Satan in the Post Office queue because the devil takes many forms."
"Your front-page picture of Kate Winslet with a plunging neckline being up for two golden globes was most appropriate."

Unpublished letters to the Daily Telegraph
Jukka
Legionary
posted 27 October 2006 12:51 EDT (US)     5 / 5       
I dont know about the alliance with you and gauls but yakcamkir is right about the settlement. Especially in Rome Total Realism settlement that rebels goes sometimes to the creator of the city. For example in Asia Minor there`s a galatian region that rebels for the gauls. That`s becouse, if I remember right, some conqueror had hired tharcian gauls to help him in his conquest and those mercenarys now live there. And there are many more of that sort. Has happened to me many times. Its odd to see gaulish green in Asia minor.

[This message has been edited by Jukka (edited 10-27-2006 @ 12:53 PM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames