Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.10 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Logistical skill
Bottom
Topic Subject:Logistical skill
Storabrun
Legionary
posted 26 October 2006 09:14 EDT (US)         
By checking out the export_descr_character_traits.txt i found out that you can get this skill for a general moving around with a management skill of 3+.

Trigger harsh_lifestyle3
WhenToTest CharacterTurnEnd

Condition not EndedInSettlement
and RemainingMPPercentage = 0
and Attribute Management >= 3

Affects LogisticalSkill 1 Chance 10

After seeing this I always made sure my generals with management (i have a lot of them as I am playing Parthia with their bureaucrat skills) used up their movement points, but i NEVER got this skill. I am like 40 years into the campaign so I really should have gained it more than once by now.

I think the problem might be the requirement for MMPercentage to be exactly 0. I am guessing that a general will often stop with some MPP left, but not enough to move further.

Has anyone actually gained this skill for any of his generals by moving around? I know you can get it from a scriptorium too, but that doesn´t count.

I'm going to change the line
and RemainingMPPercentage = 0

to
and RemainingMPPercentage <= 10

and see if that works better.

AuthorReplies:
yakcamkir
Seraph Emeritus
posted 26 October 2006 12:22 EDT (US)     1 / 10       
Remember that the general has his own movement points. The movement points of the infantry he is marching with may be used up, but the general will still have some left.

Rome: Total War Heaven | Medieval II: Total War Heaven | Empire: Total War Heaven
"Do not stand behind Satan in the Post Office queue because the devil takes many forms."
"Your front-page picture of Kate Winslet with a plunging neckline being up for two golden globes was most appropriate."

Unpublished letters to the Daily Telegraph
Storabrun
Legionary
posted 26 October 2006 19:12 EDT (US)     2 / 10       
I know, but that wasn't the problem. I rarely march around with infantry as I am playing Parthia right now. Actually, that can happen with all cavalry too since units only get the force march bonus of their generals if they start in the open with the general. If general and units all start in a city, only the general has the bonus and can move further.

But I always made sure they spend their points by moving them out and then back into the stack if needed.

yakcamkir
Seraph Emeritus
posted 27 October 2006 08:31 EDT (US)     3 / 10       
Remember, there is only a 10% chance per turn of it happening. That means it happens once every five years on average if you meet the conditions every single time.

Rome: Total War Heaven | Medieval II: Total War Heaven | Empire: Total War Heaven
"Do not stand behind Satan in the Post Office queue because the devil takes many forms."
"Your front-page picture of Kate Winslet with a plunging neckline being up for two golden globes was most appropriate."

Storabrun
Legionary
posted 27 October 2006 09:45 EDT (US)     4 / 10       
That's true. But I am like 45 years into my campaign, and I would say that on average I have at least two generals with management 3+ with depleted (but maybe not EXACTLY 0) movementpoints and not in settlements. Even a conservative estimation, not counting the first 10 years when generals and management retinues were few and only 1 general/turn should result in 7 skill increases in Logistics.

This is not proof of anything, that's why I asked if someone actually got a skill increase in the field.

In any case that =0 recuirement is pretty stupid as you can often clearly see a sliver of blue MP left without beeing able to move further. I think we can be pretty sure that the intention was to require the general to be moving around and not remaining stationary. I don't think the intention was to reward micro-managing your generals into losing all their points even if they don't have to (marching with infantry for example).

Edit: I guess we can put this to rest now as I made a simple test with a new Julii campaign. First I changed the chance to 100% and the management requirement to 1 so that all 4 starting generals would be included. I moved them around individually to deplete the movement points. I even moved them in steps to make sure that the whole movement bar would disappear in the last move. No other units moved with them.

Result: None of them gained the logistical skill, despite the chance of 100%. Clearly broken in other words.

I then changed the MPP requirement from =0 to <=10 and restarted the game and repeated the test.
Result: All 4 generals gained the skill.

So the skill trigger is basically broken but it's easy to fix with some modding.

[This message has been edited by Storabrun (edited 10-27-2006 @ 11:09 AM).]

EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 27 October 2006 12:05 EDT (US)     5 / 10       
Very nice find. I'm going bear this in mind

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
Severous
Legionary
posted 27 October 2006 14:44 EDT (US)     6 / 10       
yakcamkir
Seraph Emeritus
posted 27 October 2006 17:55 EDT (US)     7 / 10       
Logistical skill increases troop morale and movement points. It might reduce training costs as well, I can't remember.

Good fix, I'll check that one. Also, do you use Bug Fixer?

Storabrun
Legionary
posted 27 October 2006 22:21 EDT (US)     8 / 10       
No I don't use a bug fixer. What's fixed in that and not with patch 1.5? I heard about some temple of horse bug, but I don't care about that one.
yakcamkir
Seraph Emeritus
posted 28 October 2006 07:43 EDT (US)     9 / 10       
Bug Fixer vastly improves the game.

Storabrun
Legionary
posted 28 October 2006 09:18 EDT (US)     10 / 10       
I found out that this was actually fixed in Bug Fixer. Along with a lot of other nice fixes. Thanks for the tip.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames