You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.9 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » assassins
Topic Subject:assassins
posted 26 October 2006 15:35 EDT (US)         
I've been playing a holding game in western Europe against the Britons and the Germans, with one full stack defending 2 or 3 cities. My enemies also had a lot of diplomats and an assassin or two running around, so I decided enough was enough and got an assassin of my own. Since then he's managed to kill 7 or 8 enemy characters, including the faction leader, faction heir, and another family member. Now that he's a 9* (or 9 eye as the case may be) he has 80-90% odds on any mission, a far cry from the 5-10% at the start. The best is that he's only 30.

I've found that assassins' skill curves are different than other units. They're virtually useless when you first train them, but as soon as you succeed once or twice they escalate in a hurry. The best way to bump them up at the start is to kill enemy assassins, low level diplomats, or captains of small units. After a couple runs like that they'll be ready to take on bigger fish. Even failing a mission can give them traits and retinue, so keep them active.

My favourite assassin moment was when I tried to get a ceasefire with the briton faction heir, who was alone on their shore. He cruelly rebuffed me, so I sent my burdgeoning assassin after him and succeeded, earning him 2 more stars. Take that, full unit of heavy chariots.

How do you use assassins? Tips or tricks or good stories? Share them.

posted 26 October 2006 16:12 EDT (US)     1 / 9       
a question i have about assassins is i use one against an allie will it begin a war with them?
posted 26 October 2006 16:28 EDT (US)     2 / 9       

I am using assassins in a game that sounds similar to yours. Assassins to knock out any enemy unit I can. I dont bother against captain led stacks unless needed to train up the assassin.

The asassins ability to sabotage buildings is useful. Take out a temple (or higher) and the enemy city public order will suffer. Might be enough to cause it to riot or even rebel.

Dont forget to swap ancillery/retinuie between assassins. Dancers, pet monkeys etc can be passed around. Assassin one can use them during a mission, then transfer them to assassin two, who then does his mission. Effectively using the ancilleries twice in the same turn.

posted 26 October 2006 16:57 EDT (US)     3 / 9       
I always keep a spy in each of my outlying cities in case they are besieged or for enemy spys and assasins. This gives good practice for my assasins because I can see all their vulnerable guys O, byt the way, can sabatauge (sp?)increase you assasins skill? Never works for me

(O.o )
(> < ) No matter who you are, or where you from, or what language you speak, the story of the spartan and the fox is still pretty morbid.
posted 26 October 2006 17:40 EDT (US)     4 / 9       
I train a whole bunch at once, and send them to different parts of the map. Along the way, they practice and get better subterfuge by killing rebel captains.

Oldie from RTWH!
posted 26 October 2006 17:44 EDT (US)     5 / 9       
Sometimes I don't get assassins. Yesterday, I had 5 assassins in Greece, as part of my Seleucid campaign. One attacked the Brutii faction heir, with a 35% chance, and suceeded. A different one attacked a Greek family member, with a 90% chance, and stuffed it up, getting himself killed in the process.
posted 26 October 2006 18:41 EDT (US)     6 / 9       
posted 26 October 2006 20:19 EDT (US)     7 / 9       
I posted about this a while ago. I firmly believe that if you run assassins in tandem with a spy, they are more likely to succeed. This is especially true of a newbie. In my experience, the easiest early targets for assassins are low influence diplomats, sabatoge of an enemy building, & captains of small armies. These usually have about a 75% chance for success for a newbie assassin.

I have definitely had assassins get espionage level-ups for sabatoge. This is often the 1st type of mission I'll send them on.

In my Carthage campaign I finally got an assassin up to 10 eyes. This guy is Death, Warmed Over. He hasn't been able to tag the Macedonian faction heir yet (2 tries), but he doesn't die in the attempt, either. Any lesser target is just "done"

If you're having problems in a city you think or know is due to enemy spies, get both a spy AND an assassin in there. Apparently the spy scopes out the enemy agent & then the assassin takes his shot at them. The spy + assassin combo seems much more effective at getting rid the enemy agents (you actually catch & kill him) than just piling in more of your own spies. The assassin can even be a newbie you've just recruited. This implies a kinda cool depth to the game mechanism.

posted 27 October 2006 10:20 EDT (US)     8 / 9       
I have an odd trend in assassins when I`m a roman. The other day I was playing through the Julii campaign again and overused assassins (too many damn spanish diplomats bribing my stuff). Then my faction leader, who was about 40something got the attribute like ``master of assassins`` or something. Then he died next turn. My next leader overused spies, and got ``master spy`` or some such. He also died a turn after getting the attribute. Perhaps these attributes are cursed?...

Assassins are great for killing those damned diplomats running around bribing all your stuff, though.

Do not ask for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee...
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 27 October 2006 12:01 EDT (US)     9 / 9       
Yes, I bump off diplomats with them, before going for generals. Against factions I usually destroy key millitary buildings, too- like if facing an eastern faction I'd destroy a stables, but against Rome I'd take out the barracks.
And once somehow my new assassin managed to kill the faction leader at a 1% chance. How lucky was that

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames