Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.18 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Playing as Brittania
Bottom
Topic Subject:Playing as Brittania
Legionary_994
Legionary
posted 02 March 2007 17:58 EDT (US)         
I am playing as Brittania and am at 250B.C. and I have taken, Alesia, Condate Redonum and the one south of that, I have 25K in my coffers, all peasant garrisons, a few 10 Star Generals with gold chevrons and Alesia has 10 Swords and a 10 star Gen only cause the Germans are attacking it constantly and I keep defending it by auto resolve.

Am I doing good, I don't do rapid expansion, so that many cities is normal, I'm only trin' to get France by 200 B.C. (only have to get Trier next and I've got it, may just let Germans advance so I have a challenge.)

What do you guys think of my tactics?

AuthorReplies:
MisplacedPope
Legionary
(id: misplacedgeneral)
posted 02 March 2007 18:02 EDT (US)     1 / 18       
More chariots, less swords, fight the battles out, open field combat.

"It's not true. Some have great stories, pretty stories that take place at lakes with boats and friends and noodle salad. Just no one in this car. But, a lot of people, that's their story. Good times, noodle salad. What makes it so hard is not that you had it bad, but that you're that pissed that so many others had it good." Jack Nicholson
Legionary_994
Legionary
posted 02 March 2007 18:10 EDT (US)     2 / 18       
I don't like chariots, too much mini-modding, I like hand to hand fighting on foot, always auto-resolve any fights with chariots.
MisplacedPope
Legionary
posted 02 March 2007 18:31 EDT (US)     3 / 18       
Chariots are like horse archers, simply get a few units on each side of the enemy force, and let them shoot them to hell. Your almost gurraunteed to win.

"It's not true. Some have great stories, pretty stories that take place at lakes with boats and friends and noodle salad. Just no one in this car. But, a lot of people, that's their story. Good times, noodle salad. What makes it so hard is not that you had it bad, but that you're that pissed that so many others had it good." Jack Nicholson
Atrix2
Legionary
posted 02 March 2007 18:56 EDT (US)     4 / 18       
The light chariots Brittain has are great. Just position them and shoot the enemy to pieces. The only real problem with them is they are next to useless fighting in a city. So you are really stuck with your foot soldiers.

I am just sieging my first Julli city so it will be intresting to see how the Brittish do against the Romans when fighting on foot. I am seriously concidering starving them out and fighting them outside the city when they Sally out.

MisplacedPope
Legionary
posted 02 March 2007 19:07 EDT (US)     5 / 18       
It is best to wait for a sally, where the chariots can do there work.

Roman Warlord
Legionary
posted 02 March 2007 19:35 EDT (US)     6 / 18       
Would depend a lot on unit size.

Large and huge definetly don't relly on chariots in a city.

Normal dubious

Small they would probably work quite well, just don't get them bogged down.

Legionary_994
Legionary
posted 02 March 2007 20:28 EDT (US)     7 / 18       
I will not use chariots, too much mini-modding, and they are a nightmare to use in melee.
MisplacedPope
Legionary
posted 02 March 2007 20:41 EDT (US)     8 / 18       
Then you are relatively screwed against Rome. I can only suggest having a lot of men, slingers, and head hurlers.

Legionary_994
Legionary
posted 02 March 2007 20:46 EDT (US)     9 / 18       
I have a plan against Rome, I will take Rome itself first, then the families will attack it with all their might, mabey even each other, after they have sent as much as they can, I bring a full stack of experienced soldiers and two experienced fleets (5 ships in each, already have one fleet with 3 silver chevrons and another with bronze) and block all trade, after about 15 years of this, I anaihalate them in Italy.
MisplacedPope
Legionary
posted 02 March 2007 20:53 EDT (US)     10 / 18       
And what size and what composition is your army (or armies) that are taking Rome?

Storabrun
Legionary
posted 02 March 2007 23:12 EDT (US)     11 / 18       
Blockading their ports for 15 years isn't going to make much difference if you are holding Rome at the time. They will just throw everything at it, and if you keep killing them they will never go broke.
steace43
Legionary
posted 03 March 2007 02:21 EDT (US)     12 / 18       

Quote:

I will not use chariots, too much mini-modding, and they are a nightmare to use in melee.

Then you are playing the wrong faction. Chariots are Brittanias strength.

llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
Ar_Kai
Legionary
posted 03 March 2007 05:47 EDT (US)     13 / 18       
Precisely why I never liked Britannia. I am not a great fan of chariots, and their lack of cavalry made it not worth my time to play them.
Atrix2
Legionary
posted 03 March 2007 08:22 EDT (US)     14 / 18       
The Brittons dont have archers as such and the slingers are not great. So if you play as Britain the light chariots are really needed if you like to soften up units with arrows before going hand to hand.

I have won a number of battles against the germans/gauls /romans simply by using my light chariots to shoot them to pieces then when arrows are exhausted going hand to hand with the weakned units

But even though i like chariots. I dont like the heavy chariots much myself and i only use them for chasing down routing units.

Legionary_994
Legionary
posted 03 March 2007 13:27 EDT (US)     15 / 18       
I chose the Britons because I wanted a challenge, so I don't use chariots, so it will be harder.

Misplaced, I was thinking of 1 Gold Chevroned General, 10 Armoured swords, 5 slingers and 4 Head Hurlers/Druids? Don't know whether to use Head Hurlers or Druids, or 2 of each,I was thinking of this as a formation:

---HH--S--S--S--S--S--HH---
----AS----AS----AS----AS----AS
----AS----AS----AS----AS----AS
----D--------GEN--------D---

The S would go to the flank behind the front line, but not actually behind, if you know what I mean, just to the left flank, to get them on the unshielded side and the HH would fight hand to hand, after moving into the AS lines.

I wouldn't be killing their all their troops, I would let some survive, just so that they would retrain and train more to fight against me, that would drain their money.

[This message has been edited by Legionary_994 (edited 03-03-2007 @ 01:29 PM).]

mothman699
Legionary
posted 09 March 2007 14:12 EDT (US)     16 / 18       
The britannia chariots are horrible if you are a general that uses calvary for melee,hit and run, and shock tactics like me. i personally have never liked, nor used them because the germans, in my opinion, are the best barbarians followed by the dacians and spanish. but for a challenge the brittanians are good because they suck so much compared to the other barbarian factions. EX: Britsh chariots would never be able to compare to gothic calvary, if you're fighting an infantry unit and you want to make them rout with a behind shock charge chariots always lose from 5-10 men while the gothic calvary lose from 2-5 men assuming their experince is zero. so the britsh suck and germans rule its as simple as that but you have done good for yourself and let the romans and germans get stronger so you will have the challenge you seek
Severous
Legionary
posted 09 March 2007 14:35 EDT (US)     17 / 18       
I would use one Druid for morale effects. I dont know if two Druids gives any more benefit.

Its certain that another Head Hurler will. They are good against armoured troops.

Slingers good against lightly armoured troops. Provided you can give them the time to use their ammo.

Shortage of 'cavalry' is a constraint imposed by not using chariots. Is a unit or two of barbarian cavalry mercenaries ok in your campaign?

Legionary_994
Legionary
posted 09 March 2007 14:48 EDT (US)     18 / 18       
Not even sure I need any cavalry, my armoured swords and a druid on each flank will suffice.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames