You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.13 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Why doesnt this thing work!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Why doesnt this thing work!
New Roman
Legionary
posted 04 March 2007 13:36 EDT (US)         
I just recently got a new computer, but when i try to battle on rtw my computer just exits off back to my desktop. I've tryed putting all the settings low but it still doesnt work this is the system my computer has.

3200+ AMD Athlon XP processer
512 MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM Memory
160GB 7200RPM Ultra DMA hard drive
VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP 64MB Graphics Card

O yea and i can play AOE3 with no problem i dont know if that helps

So if you can help me out please do so.

AuthorReplies:
Lord Ahm
Legionary
posted 04 March 2007 13:41 EDT (US)     1 / 13       
It doesn't look it's your computer that is the problem here. Which mods did you install? Try re-installing the game and see if it works.

Ahm Heribeus
Is a suits murmur
New Roman
Legionary
posted 04 March 2007 13:55 EDT (US)     2 / 13       
Im just playing RTW 1.0 no mods or anything, but i have reinstalled several times. Maby i need to install it by myself insted of auto-installing it?
Barbarian_Prince
Legionary
posted 04 March 2007 14:58 EDT (US)     3 / 13       
I don't know much about computers so let me ask you: did that graphics card come with the computer (when you bought it)? Because when I first bought "Rome: Total War," I couldn't play the game with the factory-installed graphics card. When I installed the game, and double-clicked on it, nothing happened. But once I bought a new graphics card, the game worked just fine.

If you're buying a graphics card, check the bottom of the "Rome: Total War" box because it has a list of cards that are incompatible with the game.

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

[This message has been edited by Barbarian_Prince (edited 03-04-2007 @ 03:06 PM).]

New Roman
Legionary
posted 04 March 2007 15:05 EDT (US)     4 / 13       
The only thing is some people have told me they can play the game on the same system with no problem. And my card did come with my computer.
CavalryCmdr
Legionary
posted 04 March 2007 16:27 EDT (US)     5 / 13       
Try adding -show_err on your command prompt, if it only crashes for battles that may tell you something.
Also I was unable to play Rome reliably with battles and Campaign on different resolution.
Finnally try downloading a newer driver for you graphics card.

[This message has been edited by CavalryCmdr (edited 03-04-2007 @ 04:29 PM).]

New Roman
Legionary
posted 04 March 2007 16:38 EDT (US)     6 / 13       
How do i add -show_err to my comand prompt? whats a comand promt?
Noviomagum
Legionary
posted 04 March 2007 16:38 EDT (US)     7 / 13       
I don't know the requirements by heart but the videocard might be the problem.
Titus Labienus
Legionary
posted 05 March 2007 00:37 EDT (US)     8 / 13       
I couldn't play Battle for Middle Earth or RTW with my original graphics card. i got a Raedon 9550 for like $120 at best buy and was able to install it myself. i know it sux, computers should come with a useable graphics card for $1000+, but you likely havta pony up for a graphics card. BTW, mp chip is a 3200 athlon and also have 512k of RAM, but my HD is 200gb. If yours is an HP we may have similair machines.

Lab

[This message has been edited by Titus Labienus (edited 03-05-2007 @ 00:49 AM).]

steace43
Legionary
posted 05 March 2007 01:08 EDT (US)     9 / 13       
Have you upgraded your directx? RTW requires directx 9c. You can check that by going to start->run write dxdiag, press enter. A window will pop up and on the bottom you will see "Directx-version:" followed by your directx version number.

llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
Ar_Kai
Legionary
posted 05 March 2007 06:16 EDT (US)     10 / 13       

Quote:

How do i add -show_err to my comand prompt? whats a comand promt?

Right click on the RTW shortcut. Click properties on the menu. In the target line, space after the end and type -show_err.

Hope that helps.

New Roman
Legionary
posted 05 March 2007 22:53 EDT (US)     11 / 13       
Yes Titus Labienus I do have a HP, I do have direct X 9.0c, but I am still having trouble using the control prompt i added -show_err but im not sure what am i suposed to do next. Sorry I'm not great with computers.

Oh yea if its a reasolution problem how would i go about fixing that?

[This message has been edited by New Roman (edited 03-05-2007 @ 11:20 PM).]

Titus Labienus
Legionary
posted 06 March 2007 01:19 EDT (US)     12 / 13       
Start with the lowest res available 800x600 I think, and see if it works. If it does then keep upping the res and seeing what happens. As I said before, i reckon you'll need a graphics card before you will have any luck.
The Direct X thing should take care of itself, it'll say "you need to upgrade to Direct X Vers ?" then you go along with what it says to do. It's free. Good luck,
Lab
New Roman
Legionary
posted 06 March 2007 07:05 EDT (US)     13 / 13       
Thanks for all the help.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames