Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » 30th battle : Julii
Bottom
Topic Subject:30th battle : Julii
Enkidu of Uruk
Legionary
(id: thekid951)
posted 04 March 2007 14:16 EDT (US)         
Hi =)

I play online from time to time, and did 30 battles so far. I always play with Germany, as it is a challenge to play with an under dog.

My biggest problem are roman factions. A lot of people tend to be very original and just make an army of urban cohorts and praetohorion cavalry. Although this is hard, I do tend to win against them with my berserkers. So far I only lost twice against Roman armies like this, but it's always very, very close and much luck is involved.

30th battle :

Heres comes the question of the thread. If you see your opponent is going to use a roman factions, you're almost sure he's going for a very cliché army of urbans and praeto's. But what faction do you use against them? What units and what tactics? Thx!

AuthorReplies:
deadly trojan
Legionary
posted 04 March 2007 14:31 EDT (US)     1 / 7       
i would probably use: 2 chosen axe men, 3 beserkers, 3 chosen archers or what eva thay are called and 3 1 genral and 2 gothic cavalry, i dont know the total cost but i think its affordable and if theres extra, probably night raiders but if i actually play multi, probably id only use egypt.
Enkidu of Uruk
Legionary
(id: thekid951)
posted 04 March 2007 14:36 EDT (US)     2 / 7       
And what units would you use as egypt?

deadly trojan
Legionary
posted 04 March 2007 14:39 EDT (US)     3 / 7       
hmm... i don't remember the names been quite a long time since i played in egypt lemme check the units section.
New Roman
Legionary
posted 04 March 2007 14:40 EDT (US)     4 / 7       
I would use the Seleucids, they have a silver sheild pikemen unit (phalanx), silver shield legions, which closely resemble their roman counterparts, they also have cataphracts, schyth chariots and elephants.

I would use this set up.

|CHA|CHA|CHA|
CAT |CAT|SSL|SSL|SSP|SSP|SSP|SSL|SSL|CAT|CAT
|ARCH|ARCH|ONAGER|ARCH|ARCH|
|Gen|

Of course you would have to play on high denarii.But Chariots can be elephants as well

Chariots/Elephants tear Roman infentry up in the middle. Cataphracts easily beat any roman calvary on the flanks. Pikemen hold your center up while CAT's and SSL's tear into the flanks of the Romans encircling them and making the romans break formation and fight on 3 fronts instead of one, meanwhile send one unit of CAT to attack any archers they may have. This should work let me know if it does or doesnt. Screenshots of the battle would be nice.
Hope this helps.

Barbarian_Prince
Legionary
posted 04 March 2007 14:48 EDT (US)     5 / 7       
Hail Kid!
I thoroughly admire your handling of the Germans - so far, you're the only player to beat me with that faction. The victory you've won on your 30th battle was tremendous...outnumbered 3 to 1, you still succeeded!

However, be very careful with the Berserkers. If the enemy uses cavalry, he can lead them around on a wild goose chase away from the battle (where your berserkers become ineffective). By the time the battle's over, your berserkers might be too tired to fight effectively (making them easy prey for almost any heavy infantry unit).

Quote:

Heres comes the question of the thread. If you see your opponent is going to use a roman factions, you're almost sure he's going for a very cliché army of urbans and praeto's. But what faction do you use against them? What units and what tactics? Thx!

Everyone knows me online as the "Prince_of_Macedon." With that name comes an exclusive usage of the Macedon faction.

The Urban/Praetorian Cavalry combo is absolutely devastating against Macedon since Royal Pikemen get owned by Urbans. Also, Companion Cavalry are equally shamed by Praetorian horses. That said, I still win a few battles here and there against Urban/Praetorians when my opponent's micromanagement falters. That said, my key tactic against "typical" Romans is hoping they screw up LOL

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

[This message has been edited by Barbarian_Prince (edited 03-04-2007 @ 02:53 PM).]

deadly trojan
Legionary
posted 04 March 2007 14:50 EDT (US)     6 / 7       
Desert Axemen = DA
Nile Cavalry = NA
Chariot Archers = CA
Pharaoh's Guards = PG
Genral = G
ah heres mine, im going unusall:
CA NA DA G DA NA CA
PG PG PG PG
G
the genral quickly run backwards and go long way around to charge from the sides when the armies meet the CA are there to kill any archer that will harm my PG, PG are there to hold the line while my G and NA flank ( my NA does a swap with the position of the CA's and attack, and the DA are there to cut down the people in front if my cavalry fails. i know im lacking range weapons but what i lack in that i think makes up for in speed of the charriots and horses.

wlnoble
Legionary
posted 05 March 2007 04:48 EDT (US)     7 / 7       
Hi Kid,

It depends on money and rules mainly when facing Romans. If high money and no rules, any factions with Catas and eles will most often crush Romans.

If mid money, well, its more diffucult...another Roman faction maybe .

If low, any faction is open to beat them.

The obvious problem playing against romans is they have no real weak link like most other factions. Strong Cav, strong infantry, decent archers. Any one of units cav be countered on its own, but is very diffucult to beat when combined.

Can you specific in your money and rules and then I can give you what would be my Roman counter.

My favourite though is in high money. I have not been beaten in high money, no rules against Rome for a very long time using selucids (please note, if you are going to challange this, it should be on a level playing feild, not a big hill or the like). Pity that i have to admit that i could possibly win this fight without looking (ok, maybe not without looking, but you get the picture) and its not due to my skill.

The biggest problems with Germans IMO is their susceptiblity to missles, of any kind. Pila, arrows or stones all greatly hurt German bones. Beserkers, the killing machines that they undoubtably are, have only 16 (normal size) in a unit and as little as 2 or 3 volleys of arrows will most often do enough damage to see them off. As Barb Prince correctly said, they can also be lured into a wild horse chase away from the main battle.

IMO, and i have had this discussion with another general on here, Germany will rarely beat Rome in high money. The pila and horse combo, along with a couple of archers are simply too strong for Germany. They cant cope with the might of Rome.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames