Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.17 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Getting bad retinues
Bottom
Topic Subject:Getting bad retinues
Atrix2
Legionary
posted 13 March 2007 05:57 EDT (US)         
I am playing as Britain on h/h. I have noticed that as well as getting good staff that help with things like taxes some of my govenors get bad staff like a dunken uncle, Idiot, ect.

I understand i can dump these on an old Govenor who is getting near the end of his time. But my question is why do the govenors get them or is it just a random thing.

AuthorReplies:
eightseven87
Legionary
posted 13 March 2007 06:24 EDT (US)     1 / 17       
there are various reason why generals get bad traits and retinue. One big one is for every 50,000 denarii you have your generals have a better chance of getting bad traits and retinue.
Also certain buildings and events may trigger a change in traits/retinue. Sitting a general in a town for a prolonged period of time is a good way of getting negative traits and retinue, although you also get good retinue and traits from building and upgrading.

There is a randomness factor in there, but mostly its up to how you run your cities and how much denarii you have in your coffers.

New Roman
Legionary
posted 13 March 2007 19:34 EDT (US)     2 / 17       
How do you dump the bad traits and/or pick up good traits from different governers?
MagoBarca
Legionary
posted 13 March 2007 19:41 EDT (US)     3 / 17       
You can't dump traits or add any at will (unless through cheats). You can't just change somebody's personality, can you

A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool because he has to say something.
-Plato
New Roman
Legionary
posted 13 March 2007 20:22 EDT (US)     4 / 17       
OOOOPPS! I meant retinues. LOL.
eightseven87
Legionary
posted 13 March 2007 22:04 EDT (US)     5 / 17       
some traits may change or disappear as your general grows. Supposedly getting your general married does away with certain bad traits.

Put two generals in the same army and simply drag the retinue onto the other general's portrait to swap retinue

[This message has been edited by eightseven87 (edited 03-13-2007 @ 10:05 PM).]

SubRosa
Legionary
posted 13 March 2007 23:19 EDT (US)     6 / 17       
I had a general who started out with the Coward trait when he came of age. I sent him out to smite some rebels a few turns later, and he not only lost the Coward trait, but he came out with the Bloody trait and a Bodyguard in his retinue. I guess he just needed to grind a few dozen men under the hooves of his mighty steed to open his eyes to the glory of Mars...
AugustusCurly
Legionary
posted 14 March 2007 17:10 EDT (US)     7 / 17       

Quote:

some traits may change or disappear as your general grows. Supposedly getting your general married does away with certain bad traits.

I read that marriage and child-birth create a 10% chance (or so) of doing away with the "Unusual" trait. Interesting that the creators decided that a wife and a few kids would make you less crazy... (just kidding, no offence meant to anyone)

(\__/)Gambling is a tax on people who are bad at math
(O.o )a Kilometre is whats known in American as "too far to walk", and a litre is known as "too much beer for one man".-Bored Scotsman
( >< )Beer brands are the power ranger action figures for adults.-Angelo the Sailor
Easter is indeed very commercial. But hey, that's what keeps the economy going. Discussion is useless, chocolate eggs are delicious. Voila.-TheKid951
versalife
Legionary
posted 14 April 2007 08:41 EDT (US)     8 / 17       
And how to avoid getting inefficient taxman trait? Any ideas?
Severous
Legionary
posted 14 April 2007 10:46 EDT (US)     9 / 17       
^versalife
Dont know the exact trigger but its not one I see in my campaigns. Have the highest tax rate you can get away with. Anything less and you are tax inefficient.
Legionary_994
Legionary
posted 14 April 2007 11:40 EDT (US)     10 / 17       
Have your tax rate on very high with a disillusioned population and your general can get better tax traits and I think also retinue, not sure about the retinue one though.

"I think the lesson here is: It doesn't matter where you're from, as long as we're all the same religion." - Peter Griffin

Danish Dreams
versalife
Legionary
posted 14 April 2007 14:18 EDT (US)     11 / 17       
To: Severous and Legionary_994

Thats weird guys coz:
ones I played for Julii (H/H difficulty level) and had my taxes on low/medium - didn't get inefficient taxman
then I played second time same Julii (VH/VH difficulty level) taxes generally on high/very high - got inefficient taxman

May be I just was too lucky first and then too unlucky second time...

[This message has been edited by versalife (edited 04-14-2007 @ 02:22 PM).]

Brutiangodofrock
Legionary
posted 14 April 2007 20:41 EDT (US)     12 / 17       
ass Greeks my Faction Heir has "mad as a Loon" as one of this traits and it says he bites people at innapropriate times in innapropriate places i think
CLAVDIVS
Legionary
posted 14 April 2007 21:57 EDT (US)     13 / 17       
For 'bad taxman':

Trigger random_birth26
WhenToTest CharacterComesOfAge
Affects BadTaxman 1 Chance 2

Trigger governing19
WhenToTest GovernorBuildingCompleted

Condition GovernorLoyaltyLevel > loyalty_disillusioned
and GovernorTaxLevel < tax_high

Affects BadTaxman 1 Chance 15

Also interesting:

>> Tax Farmer {tax_farmer_desc}

An expert in the enforced separation of people and their money, but perhaps
not so skilled at passing the gains to a government.
Effect: -1 Influence, 5% bonus on tax income

WhenToTest GovernorBuildingCompleted
Condition Trait BadTaxman >= 1
and IsGeneral

AcquireAncillary tax_farmer chance: 8%

Have fun

Y.

In Theory, there is no difference between Theory and Practice, but, in Practice, there is difference between Theory and Practice.
Ar_Kai
Legionary
posted 14 April 2007 22:12 EDT (US)     14 / 17       
CLAVDIVS, what files do you get that information in?

Thanks

CLAVDIVS
Legionary
posted 14 April 2007 22:21 EDT (US)     15 / 17       
RTW folder -> Data->Export_descr_character_traits i think (i have it printed).

Y.

In Theory, there is no difference between Theory and Practice, but, in Practice, there is difference between Theory and Practice.
Ar_Kai
Legionary
posted 14 April 2007 22:27 EDT (US)     16 / 17       
Thanks

*Goes off to read said file to see what can be learnt*

borgatrix
Legionary
posted 15 April 2007 07:18 EDT (US)     17 / 17       
Not 100% sure, but I think the bad taxman traits come from having yellow faces for town happiness without having very high taxes. So, in essence, the yellow face with only high or normal taxes means you could of increased taxes to the blue face, or decreased taxes to get the green face and promote growth. Yellow faces are bad!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames