You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.27 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Heres a Challange for You !!!!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Heres a Challange for You !!!!
wlnoble
Legionary
posted 19 March 2007 11:20 EDT (US)         
Ok, so heres one that if you are like me will have you pulling your hair out. Unlike the majority of my posts and/or answers that are pretty much biased towards Multi Player, this is for everyone.

It is has been taken from a friends site and trust me when i say that it is extremely diffucult and god damn frustrating.

Let me know how you get on and please ensure that you create the armies exactly as per below and on the same maps, level etc etc. Take time setting it up and make sure its right. Dont cheat yourself.

I will have to trust all your good natures when you give me the results, but at the very least, if you can do this, you are a better general than i will ever be. I tried to do this for about 4 hours, and failed every time.

Enjoy

MAP: Syrian Flats
Level : Hard/Very Hard

Your army (SPQR) (No upgrades)

9 Early Legionary Cohorts
3 Early First Legionary Cohorts
4 Legionary Cavalry
4 Archer Auxilia

AI army (Armenia)

1 Armoured Easter General
5 Cataphracts
4 Cataphract archers
7 Pikes
3 Archers (Archers must have gold attack)

AuthorReplies:
BigK_us
Legionary
posted 19 March 2007 12:19 EDT (US)     1 / 27       
I'll give it a go next time I get to play. It looks tough. Going to have a hard time accounting for all the Cataphracts and archers.

"To dilute the will to win is to destroy the purpose of the game. There is no substitute for victory." - General Douglas MacArthur
Enkidu of Uruk
Legionary
(id: thekid951)
posted 19 March 2007 12:34 EDT (US)     2 / 27       
I tried 2 times and my best go was 21%. It's kinda impossible. But I wonder, why you so amazed at this battle? It's easy to make a battle that's almost possible. There are 14 or so factions and all these kinds of units and combinations, it's not hard there are combinations that are impossible. I'll give you one. Try a unit of peasants as gaul vs some julii praetohorions. Won't work either.

Let us post our best go's, okay?

wlnoble
Legionary
posted 19 March 2007 14:17 EDT (US)     3 / 27       
Kid, i must say your reply...well, kind of annoyed me.

I will tell why as you have got my back up.

1. Just when did i say i was amazed ? I try to make interesting posts, some of which might be boring or plain wrong, but you wont often see me just ridicule someone elses post which i dont agree with. That is for other forums and its easy to ridicule people, just go on a couple and have a look where it can lead.

2. Instead of making comments like the peasant and pretorians one you made, or make things up like 'the amazed' comment, why dont you write something contructive ?

Do you think that because you cant do it, no one else can ? Your comments seem to imply that. After your 2 attempts, which I quite frankly think is a poor basis to make such a opininated and sarcastic reply, id like you to know that this has been beaten by the leader of Arcani clan, Kamikaze. It was completed while 2 other (not clan mates) watched to verify. In fact I think he actually did it 3 times in a row.

Ok, enough said, my claws are back in.

[This message has been edited by wlnoble (edited 03-19-2007 @ 02:21 PM).]

MisplacedPope
Legionary
(id: misplacedgeneral)
posted 19 March 2007 14:56 EDT (US)     4 / 27       
I might be able to do that, but I only have RTR and 77 BC mod. So unless it was altered a little, I can't try.

"It's not true. Some have great stories, pretty stories that take place at lakes with boats and friends and noodle salad. Just no one in this car. But, a lot of people, that's their story. Good times, noodle salad. What makes it so hard is not that you had it bad, but that you're that pissed that so many others had it good." Jack Nicholson
Chamox
Legionary
posted 19 March 2007 15:02 EDT (US)     5 / 27       
wlnoble, I have some questions for you, before engaging the full missile packed Armenian troops:

When you say 7 Pikes, what do you mean? 7 Hillmen? 7 Eartern Infantry? 7 Heavy Spearmen?

As for the archers, how many golden chrevons, 1, 2, 3?

Thanks, that should do it!

>>>>>>------------->THELEMA<-------------<<<<<<
Severous
Legionary
posted 19 March 2007 15:20 EDT (US)     6 / 27       
First and only attempt. 68% of enemy killed before my remaining men routed off the field.

Made plenty of mistakes like mixing up an archer and 1st cohort. Had Cohort in open formation ready to fire missiles and archers in the rear. One cav unit got routed before it caused a single casualty.

I think pikes mean the heavy spearmen. They are the only units that can form phalanx formation. I gave the Armenian foot archers gold weapons but no experience.

The points value of Armeniens is higher than the Romans.

May I ask why this set up? In multiplayer the points values would have been more equal.

[This message has been edited by Severous (edited 03-19-2007 @ 03:24 PM).]

Barbarian_Prince
Legionary
posted 19 March 2007 17:21 EDT (US)     7 / 27       
On a semi-related note, I was hoping you'd be on last Sunday, wlnoble. I really wanted to play our challenge battle out where I used the Romans (and you used Macedon). One of these days, we shall fight that battle!

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT
Chamox
Legionary
posted 19 March 2007 19:01 EDT (US)     8 / 27       
I have done it!
I routed all of the Armenian units!
Clear Victory!

After one unlucky defeat when I killed only 25% of the Armenians, now I claim victory following a defensive-offensive tactic.

[JPEG, (608.27 KB)]

First of all I put my infantry as a single line barrier with two units a little bit on the back for support at the rears. I interspersed the Early First Legionary Cohorts so I would have most of my units inspired by these 3 command units.
I put 2 of my Legionary Cavalry at both sides in case the Cathraphats flanked me, and they did try!
My Archers Auxilia where behind my front line infantry.
All of my units were at fire at will mode.

The battle started when the Cataphracts tried to flank me on the left side, followed by Cataphract Archers shooting down my infantry untis. When their cavalry where attacking my infantry units their Heavy Spearmen were still far from enter into combat, so I chose to attack the attacking cavalry with some of my infantry, with the help of my Legionary Cavalry.

After the Cataphracts were routing I stop my infantry from chasing them. By this time their spearmen were engaging my Cohorts. My archers did put a lot of work since their fire arrows took down the morale of their targets.
Note that the Cataphracts after routing kept coming back to attack my soldiers, especially if they watched some of my archers being firing alone.
Attacking my archers simple was a bait for the Cataphracts as I finished them off with some of my infantry units and my cavalry of course.
After most enemies units were routed the remainder of my cavalry took a ride and routed the enemy archers.

Not a single of my units been routed. I have to say that if one was routed all of them would probably follow.

Victory is ours!

[JPEG, (594.89 KB)]

[This message has been edited by Chamox (edited 03-19-2007 @ 07:03 PM).]

wlnoble
Legionary
posted 20 March 2007 08:20 EDT (US)     9 / 27       
Hi Chamox,

yes, its 7 heavy spearmen. The archers should have each have gold attack.

Wow, im really surprised that it was done so quickly. Some excellent players that i know, i mean guys that have been playing since this game came out and live, eat and breathe (slightly unhealthily), could not do this and they know the game inside out. All stats, all triggers, all the tricks. Not doubting you, but i have to ask, are you sure the armies were correct and it was on Hard/Very Hard ? Some people initially thought they had done it on the other site, then when they looked again they didnt have it on the right diffuculty or have correct units. Sorry for having to ask, but if you have done this after 2 attempts you are seriously one of the best players i know of. The leader of Arcani, from my knowledge, is a seriously good player and he did it with only a few men left. Maybe you could post the replay ? If so, i will give it to my friend on the other site to let him know someone else has done it, and easier than the last.

Barb Prince, I was on Sunday for a little while. Lets make sure that the times are correct this week. Its daylight savings here in UK on Sunday so clocks go forward and hour i think. That is a hard challange and although i can beat A1, its still with diffuculty which does not bode well for a human player such as yourself.

Sev, i didnt actually choose this. It was from a friends site and i think it was chosen due to how diffucult it is. Not many people can actually do it. Nothing really to do with Multiplayer.

Hope to see you there on Sunday. You too kid, lets fight a dual on the battlefield and let bygones be bygones. Id had a bad day yesterday.

[This message has been edited by wlnoble (edited 03-20-2007 @ 08:26 AM).]

Roman Warlord
Legionary
posted 20 March 2007 08:33 EDT (US)     10 / 27       
what do you mean by hard/very hard. Is it on hard or very hard as it would make a huge diffrence.
wlnoble
Legionary
posted 20 March 2007 08:38 EDT (US)     11 / 27       
Sorry, I never play campaign, so i assumed that was the top diffuculty level. It should be very hard then. Apologies.

Saying that, i couldnt even do it on Hard, so it would still be an achievemnet, well to me anyway

Chamox
Legionary
posted 20 March 2007 09:12 EDT (US)     12 / 27       
Wow I didn't know that so many experienced players couldn't handle those Cataphracts wlnoble. I started playing since last year, but I'm really good at it.

I checked that all the units were correct in both sides before going into battle. The archers did have the gold sword for and the difficulty level was on hard.

I saved a video of the battle if that counts as a prove...

Shall I play on very hard difficulty this time?

I might take a little while for playing the challenge again as I'm in the middle of my Brutii Campaign. I'll do it again as soon as I can.

[This message has been edited by Chamox (edited 03-20-2007 @ 09:17 AM).]

Scipii
TWH Seraph
posted 20 March 2007 09:21 EDT (US)     13 / 27       
I'll have a crack at it... should be pretty esay if I manage to pull of my tactical manuevers and stuff right. This challenge is not impossible at all, I can already see my plan to defeat the Armenians in hopefully a crushing victory.

Hopefully I'll have time very soon to show everyone how it can be possible. I've had the game inside out and stuff in ways and have had it for 2 years but I've had a social life and stuff first before RTW gaming.

Regards,
Scipii

wlnoble
Legionary
posted 20 March 2007 10:21 EDT (US)     14 / 27       
Great Job, Chamox. I would love to see the replays, as the Arcani guy wouldnt tell us how he acheived it. What would be the best way to get it to me. Id prefer not to give my private email address on here....but i dont think there is any way to private chat ?

Chamox, are you playing with us on Sunday night (uk 7pm)? Hope so, i want to see some of your moves and I have the perfect army for you to test them against.

And yes, try it on Very Hard and see how you get on. Apolgies, as previsously said i thought hard/very hard was a level in itelf, not 2 levels.

Enkidu of Uruk
Legionary
(id: thekid951)
posted 20 March 2007 10:23 EDT (US)     15 / 27       
Sorry Wlnoble I didn't thought my post would be interpretated like that.

I may have missed about the amazed thing but it was how I felt when I read the post. About what I said about the peasant-praeto thing, that was indeed unclear. What I ment was :,, Why this battle? Why this setup? Why not ... ?

Oh, and if I say 'kinda' impossible, then that is based on the average player.

Admitted, I wasn't clear. sorry :s

wlnoble
Legionary
posted 20 March 2007 12:35 EDT (US)     16 / 27       
np mate, soz i was a bit sensitive yesterday. Overeacted Apology accepted and one given back.
TotalWarFanatic
Legionary
posted 20 March 2007 13:09 EDT (US)     17 / 27       

Quoted from Scipii:

I'll have a crack at it... should be pretty esay if I manage to pull of my tactical maneuvers and stuff right. This challenge is not impossible at all, I can already see my plan to defeat the Armenians in hopefully a crushing victory.

You will find it much harder than you think lol.

Immortals challenge eh wnoble? I've tried this a few times at hard and very hard, I won my last game at hard and never won at very hard. Those pikes steamrolled my legionaries at vh, I was amazed.

In thekid's defense, English isn't his first language. Still, you have to be careful, not everyone is as easy-going as wnoble.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
It would be a violation of my code as a gentleman to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person.-Veeblefester
Ego is the anesthetic for the pain of stupidity.-me A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.
I've put most of my units/skins and ss of them on my new site!:
http://totalwarfantic.tripod.com/
Proud winner of most underrated forumer award!
Chamox
Legionary
posted 20 March 2007 21:31 EDT (US)     18 / 27       
Here is the link of the replay of how I defeated the Armenian Army in hard mode:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=P2F05HFD

If you have problems downloading it, please tell me so.

About the multiplayer battles...I'm afraid that I haven't played a single battle online. I'm stuck right now with my Brutii campaign. Once I finished conquering every single town, city, and capital of the map, then I should take a screenshot to display, and let the e-battles come on!

Godfried Van B
Legionary
posted 21 March 2007 12:36 EDT (US)     19 / 27       
my best was 52 or 54 % that i killed of them, i was doing pretty good, they had 1 cata arch and 1 cata left (+ infantry) and i send al of my cav to the cata arch who was with 12 men or something (normal scale legionary= 41) and all of my cav routes so far the heroic battle
but one day o one day you will remeber me all as the guy who defeated those bloody armenians

edit: damn i dind't read whole the topic and it seems that somebody has done it.......... my respect, i never played against the armenians before

one land,one king

[This message has been edited by Godfried Van B (edited 03-21-2007 @ 12:39 PM).]

gpowsang
Legionary
posted 21 March 2007 17:03 EDT (US)     20 / 27       
yea Chamox i have no idea to do when i clik on the link

u think u can giv me a hand?

Chamox
Legionary
posted 21 March 2007 18:06 EDT (US)     21 / 27       
gpowsang, once you click the link it will take you to a screen where there will be three big letters, just after the "Please enter".

What you do is simple, just type in the three letters shown and click on download.
It will take a few seconds for the download to be ready. After that the button "Click here to download" will be ready to be clicked. Click it!

TotalWarFanatic
Legionary
posted 14 April 2007 09:25 EDT (US)     22 / 27       
Chamox, in that replay you terminated the game before it finished so it was unresolved and you were losing.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
It would be a violation of my code as a gentleman to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person.-Veeblefester
Ego is the anesthetic for the pain of stupidity.-me A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.
Severous
Legionary
posted 14 April 2007 10:58 EDT (US)     23 / 27       
Hi TWF. Not seen you around here much of late. Last time I saw you, well your name at least, was on the Destroyers web site.

Replays dont always work like the original game.

A game finished in real might take 10mins. Yet in replay as things changed it might need 11 mins to complete. Yet it will terminate unfinished at ten minutes. Well thats my theory.

LagBroWJ
Legionary
posted 14 April 2007 11:22 EDT (US)     24 / 27       
Hehe i think ill give it a shot. Good luck to all!

(30 minutes later)

Well now i kknow i need more work on my RTW skills. Ive only had this game for abou 2-3 months and this is one of the hardest hardest battles ever. Im still having trouble with phalanx and helenistic armies. I play alot of RTR lately and socoming back to RTW was hard. I tried every tactic i could think of to crush those armenians but the real problem for me was that te Armenian line is too long and the send alot of Catapracts at you in yor sides and the lines buckle.

I had all four of my cavalry versus 1 cataphract unit and they still didnt win. Quite a tough battle we got here

[This message has been edited by LagBroWJ (edited 04-14-2007 @ 12:05 PM).]

TotalWarFanatic
Legionary
posted 15 April 2007 14:47 EDT (US)     25 / 27       
Hi Sev, yeah I haven't been on Rome much lately due to lots of work and internet problems. Am trying to get on more now though.

About the replay - it's possible, I guess, although he had already lost by the time it was terminated. But the fact that only the clan leader of Arcani (out of dozens of the best TW has to offer tryed) was capable of winning this (which he did while others who were not in his clan or loyal to it were watching) and even he did it barely makes me greatly doubt (no offense chammox ) that someone I've never heard of before can easily do this. A screen shot is nice - although even then we can't be sure that it was on very hard. More than anything I'm wondering how he did it, if he did, as I sure can't complete this on very hard (after several tries, I succeeded ONCE on HARD).

New Roman
Legionary
posted 15 April 2007 15:15 EDT (US)     26 / 27       
This seems very hard. I fancy myself a pretty good player but i dont know about this challange. Im about to try, ill post my results after the battle.

This is on VH:
1st try
*i lost,:S
*i destroyed 25% of their army

2nd try
*i lost, again
*i destroyed 27% of the army

Note that im not good with romans anyway

[This message has been edited by New Roman (edited 04-15-2007 @ 03:41 PM).]

borgatrix
Legionary
posted 16 April 2007 05:42 EDT (US)     27 / 27       
I think I'll give this a try. My strategy is to have my infantry and cavalry in two different locations. If the catas go for my cavalry, I will run them all over the map. Armored catas can't keep up with ordinary cavalry. If they go for my infantry, I will attempt to take them there, while I rush my cavalry to the pikemen aggrevating them from all side with my cavalry as they march toward my infantry. Hope this works.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames