You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.10 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Answer to Squalor!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Answer to Squalor!
Chamox
Legionary
posted 07 April 2007 02:00 EDT (US)         
The most challenging thing through your campaign is not your enemies, financial support, or the Senate...:P, it's Squalor!

How to maintain it down is probably a nightmare for us all, because we know that as the population increases squalor levels increase as well. But what happens when your population growth is 0%?

Having the last government building in my Brutii Campaign, that is the Imperial Palace, if I increases the taxes level where my population growth is 0%, and let's say I increase the rate at which games and races are held...would that just FINALLY stop people from giving birth to new creatures AND the levels of squalor would just freeze right were they are right now!?!?!

>>>>>>------------->THELEMA<-------------<<<<<<

[This message has been edited by Chamox (edited 04-07-2007 @ 02:03 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Severous
Legionary
posted 07 April 2007 02:28 EDT (US)     1 / 10       
Yes. 0% growth would stop squallor increasing.

Until you enslaved a captured town somewhere. That could add population. Or you built units in the town..or plague..that would reduce population.

I dont build advanced farms in cities that grow big. This stops the town reaching the point where games are needed each turn.

Enkidu of Uruk
Legionary
(id: thekid951)
posted 07 April 2007 03:13 EDT (US)     2 / 10       
Best tip I ever got about squalor was from Severous^; never ever build any farms!

Severous
Legionary
posted 07 April 2007 03:38 EDT (US)     3 / 10       
I build farms alright. Low level ones in most places. Farms can be the best financial investment much better than markets and ports even. Just depends on the location and the politican situation.

But for places like Patavium and Corduba...dont. Level 1 or 2 farms perhaps.

Only in a long German campaign do I recall building the most advanced farms I could. That was because it was a long game and I had the time. Also because the initial barbarian cities Germany control do not grow very big even with the best farms.

JOYA
Legionary
posted 07 April 2007 22:14 EDT (US)     4 / 10       
I never ever build farms, I have enough trouble with population growth as it is. But without a doubt the biggest problem in my campaigns is a single factor that contributes to discontent; distance from capital. No matter what I do this penalty which can reach up to 80% makes all my far away cities rebelious.
Atrix2
Legionary
posted 08 April 2007 03:13 EDT (US)     5 / 10       
Yep i never build more than the basic farms. The trouble is though if you take over a city you are stuck with the farms the AI has built.

You cant destroy farms which seems a bit unrealistic.

the spartan pro
Legionary
posted 08 April 2007 03:21 EDT (US)     6 / 10       
Ive seen this method and tried it myself. And it works!!

If you are playing on huge unit scale, and your city is growing big, you can do two things that with drastically reduce squalor ,and population.

1) make the city revolt, recapture and exterminate it. however, if the city has a lot of military buildings, the rebel city might raise an army that with kick your butt.

2) spamm peasant armies and send them to death missions!!

nimbert
Legionary
posted 08 April 2007 05:11 EDT (US)     7 / 10       
RTR, in its customary bid for realism, has introduced mechanisms that can render rebellion much less likely. In the case of Rome, there were, indeed, cases of slave rebellion and provincial rebellion, too, but never to the extent that they occur in vanilla R:TW.

So what are these mechanisms? Well, for one, RTR let's you build your faction's religious structures much more extensively and without having to destroy any edifices to local deities. It's certainly what the Romans used to do and alien gods were introduced from far-flung provinces into Roma herself.

RTR also lets you invest time and resources into assimilating alien cultures into your own. Indeed, you usually have to do this first, if you want to recruit local troops (RTR calls them auxiliaries), or your own faction's troops locally. This can be a lengthy procedure.

These techniques allow you to choose whether you want to rule with an iron fist or invest in winning over your conquered populations. We know what the relatively civilised Romans did and we know what certain barbarian factions did and RTR lets you choose your own way of doing things.

Dr Grip
Legionary
posted 08 April 2007 05:15 EDT (US)     8 / 10       
1) make the city revolt, recapture and exterminate it. however, if the city has a lot of military buildings, the rebel city might raise an army that with kick your butt.

^ I have tried that once, but that settlement had an arena in it and it gave me a "Gladiator Uprising" revolt.

Since most rebelious cities are on the border of your empire, to stop revolting what you can do is to set your capital temperorily near those cities. It might make the settlements in the other side of your empire riot, but a riot is at least better than a revolt. This will give you some more time to send a good governer or build extra buildings to keep the people in that city happy.

This is the best signature ever!

[This message has been edited by Dr Grip (edited 04-08-2007 @ 05:16 AM).]

LagBroWJ
Legionary
posted 09 April 2007 00:15 EDT (US)     9 / 10       
Especially in farawar places revolts piss meof so badly because most of my large armies are at other provinces and it takes like 12 turns just to get one rebllious city back
mothman699
Legionary
posted 16 April 2007 13:22 EDT (US)     10 / 10       
i dont care, i build as many farms as i can pay for and that i think are necessary, but if a city's squalor is too much too handle, and if it is giving you all that it can (best units, best trade buildings, etc) then i say let it revlot and then slaugter the population, that will bring it down to a reasonable level plus you get great money benefits from exterminating the population. thats what i do and it may not be the best thing to do but it gets your big cities back on track and it gives a nice extra money boost

War is always an option, sometimes necessary, and usually costly..........
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames