You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.7 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Blockades effectiveness
Bottom
Topic Subject:Blockades effectiveness
Clibanarii
Legionary
posted 10 April 2007 04:38 EDT (US)         
I was playing as Scipii and i blockaded all of the Carthaginian ports (including Corduba) but they were still building lots of infantry, calvary and javelin throwers, but when one of there ships blockaded Lilybeaum it went from 750 to -900 or something around that. So I was wondering, how effective are blockades on enemy ports, and if they still receive a lot of income from other trades and farming then whats the point of blockading them?

Clibanarii-a military unit of heavy armored horsemen similar to the Cataphracti but: If the Cataphracts were an Iron Fist then these were an Iron Fist inside an Iron Glove. With Knuckledusters.
AuthorReplies:
Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 10 April 2007 08:49 EDT (US)     1 / 7       
I believe that the AI has unlimited finances on Hard and Very Hard difficulty settings. Explains why they can build as many soldiers as they want.

Hussarknight
Severous
Legionary
posted 10 April 2007 14:12 EDT (US)     2 / 7       
Carthage is a slighlty special situation. Its adjacent cities on mainland Africa trade by land..not by sea. Port blockades dont stop land trade.

As you saw though...blockade its city on Lilybeam and it cuts sea trade between Sicilly and Africa. Blockade of Islands are particulary harmful to enemy income.

Blockades might improve your own income. A third faction might now send its sea trade to you because its trade cannot get into the blockaded port.

Carthage, perhaps more than any other faction, does seem to pump out looks of cheap low quality troops. How often has Palma been garrisonned by a big stack of town watch? Not sure this is just down to the income/blockade situation.

versalife
Legionary
posted 13 April 2007 13:43 EDT (US)     3 / 7       
"I believe that the AI has unlimited finances on Hard and Very Hard difficulty settings. Explains why they can build as many soldiers as they want."

Really? Come on its crazy if they do. I don't thinks so... Does anybody know if they do or don't have unlimited finences on H/VH level?

Carthage
Legionary
posted 13 April 2007 15:06 EDT (US)     4 / 7       
Absloutely true, on very hard they can also I think spawn random armies.

Carthage
And beyond, green fields under a swift sunrise
Oh well, thats not so bad, is it?
No, no it's not

Proud joint winner of the M2TWH Saladin award
Julesmat_50
Legionary
posted 14 April 2007 06:58 EDT (US)     5 / 7       
"I believe that the AI has unlimited finances on Hard and Very Hard difficulty settings. Explains why they can build as many soldiers as they want."

Really? Come on its crazy if they do. I don't thinks so... Does anybody know if they do or don't have unlimited finances on H/VH level?

Tis true I'm afraid. It makes naval blockades of AI cities completely pointless on H/VH because it doesn't affect their income - though as mentioned in an earlier post, it might persuade other AI factions to send trade your way. It's one of the ways the campaign is made harder for the human player - the AI "cheats"! :-)

Severous
Legionary
posted 14 April 2007 10:37 EDT (US)     6 / 7       
AI factions can go broke. Ive seen it on the finances graph.

I believe they dont have unlimited money on VH. Somewhere I saw they get a minimum income of 10,000 per turn (on V/H). In my long campaign as Germany I saw a broke Brutii unable to afford troop retraining nor building repairs.

As for building stacks out of nowhere im even less certain. I suspect there are constraints around such a rule. For instance if you are in the region with troops they cant spawn a stack there. Ive not seen stacks come out of nowhere.

Only when cities rebel have I definately seen troops come out of nowhere. The rebel city has a garrison thats not been taken from the population and has appeared instantly.

versalife
Legionary
posted 14 April 2007 15:12 EDT (US)     7 / 7       
To: Severous

That makes much more sense

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames