You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.10 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » I REALLY do not understand
Bottom
Topic Subject:I REALLY do not understand
Brutiangodofrock
Legionary
posted 14 April 2007 20:05 EDT (US)         
I cant seem to understand what i have to do on the Multiplayer menu part, i have tried to things in each bit and it hasnt worked. I wish to test my strength against other players, to see if i am as good as i think i am. Can someone try to talk me through what i have to do?
AuthorReplies:
Barbarian_Prince
Legionary
posted 14 April 2007 20:32 EDT (US)     1 / 10       
If you bought the game recently, you probably have the latest patch version (1.5). If that's the case, then:

- You have to type in your CD-Key on the screen where it says "Change CD-Key." Whenever you connect to the server (for your very first time), you'll have to do this. Type your key in EXACTLY as it appears (include the hyphens too).

- If you're having trouble connecting, then you might have to disable your Firewall.

Those two steps got me connected back in December. And I hope my program works for you too!

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT
TotalWar17
Legionary
posted 15 April 2007 01:12 EDT (US)     2 / 10       
how do u disbale the firewall??
Severous
Legionary
posted 15 April 2007 01:38 EDT (US)     3 / 10       
When you attempt to connect to multiplayer you PC is using RTW.exe to connect to the internet. Many firewalls/virus programmes prevent that until you give permission.

So when you next try, alt+tab to get back to your desktop. Hopefully you will then be able to see your firewall/virus programme asking if its ok to let rtw.exe connect to the internet.

good luck

TotalWar17
Legionary
posted 15 April 2007 01:44 EDT (US)     4 / 10       
Ah, ok. thanks. I have Norton and it is the most aggrivating anti-virus program. I have to disable several of its "aniti- this" stuff just to post in here
Willwoms
Legionary
posted 15 April 2007 03:01 EDT (US)     5 / 10       
This happened to me but i can't alt=tab out of the desktop because it freezes. Mabye i could try disableing my whole firewall before going on.

Kind Regards
Willwoms

P.S I want to try and improve my skills against other players in MP.

The walls shake at the noise of the horses, and of the wheels, and of the chariots
(`._.[ ]._.)(`._.[ ]._.)(`._.[ ]._.)(`._.[ ]._.)(`._.[ ]._.)(`._.[ ]._.)(`._.[ ]._.)(`._.[ ]

How come I destroyed all of you then?
o.O O.oo.O O.oo.O O.oo.O O.oo.O O.oo.O O.oo.O O.oo.O O.oo.O O.oo.O O.oo.O O.oo.O O.oo.O O.oo.0
Severous
Legionary
posted 15 April 2007 04:00 EDT (US)     6 / 10       
Willworms.

Before you open RTW open another small application like notepad or MSpaint. Hopefully that wil allow the alt+tab without the freeze up.

GameSpy who run the muliplayer server/area had technical problems last week. Many players could not get on the sever for hours/days in some cases. GameSpy...inevitably got called GaySpy by many frustrated players..a term of derision I havt seen used before but is widly used on MP RTW. (Perhaps because new people often ask what 'gs' means that crops up after their names). Im not sure that technical thing was the problem in your case but it might be.

Its good to want to improve skills. It can also be rewarding to strike up conversations with other players. There are clans which tend to draw similiar people together.

Good luck...but be careful about what you do to the firewall. Its there for a reason.

[This message has been edited by Severous (edited 04-15-2007 @ 04:05 AM).]

Brutiangodofrock
Legionary
posted 15 April 2007 14:38 EDT (US)     7 / 10       
ok thanks Severous, one question. what the hell is a CD Key?
Barbarian_Prince
Legionary
posted 15 April 2007 15:18 EDT (US)     8 / 10       
The CD-Key is that little code (made up of numbers/letters) written on a little slip of paper (or perhaps on the back of your instruction manual). The CD-Key is located somewhere in your Rome: Total War box.

You can't play Rome: Total War online without it.

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT
SubRosa
Legionary
posted 15 April 2007 18:04 EDT (US)     9 / 10       
GameSpy...inevitably got called GaySpy by many frustrated players..a term of derision I havt seen used before but is widly used on MP RTW. (Perhaps because new people often ask what 'gs' means that crops up after their names).

I have seen that used quite a bit here. At least twice in the last week or so. I just assumed that it was a term of respect since it is a comparison to Alexander the Great and the Sacred Band of Thebes, not to mention all those Spartan hairdressers...

[This message has been edited by SubRosa (edited 04-15-2007 @ 06:04 PM).]

NRSoleMI
Legionary
posted 16 April 2007 04:49 EDT (US)     10 / 10       
TWF, you could also try double clicking on your Norton icon and there should be an area that shows all the package you have. ie. anti spy, anti spam, firewall etc. If you can find this, open the firewall and there should be a tab to deactivate it. If its the same as mine, it should automatically turn back on next time you relog.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames