You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.13 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Heavy Cavalry vs Light Cavalry
Bottom
Topic Subject:Heavy Cavalry vs Light Cavalry
Octavium
Legionary
posted 15 April 2007 05:41 EDT (US)         
Is heavy cavalry that much better? As far as I can see (I don't play online though) 4 units of Light Cavalry gets the got done of flanking and can hold it's own against a unit of infantry, and is faster chasing them when they rout.

So why the heavy stuff?

AuthorReplies:
Legionary_994
Legionary
posted 15 April 2007 06:21 EDT (US)     1 / 13       
The attack and generally defense values are higher for heavy cavalry, therefore they are stronger and in a prolonged melee they usually come out better against the same unit.

"I think the lesson here is: It doesn't matter where you're from, as long as we're all the same religion." - Peter Griffin

Danish Dreams
Barbarian_Prince
Legionary
posted 15 April 2007 09:16 EDT (US)     2 / 13       
I guess it depends on what sort of opposition you're facing.

If you're Parthia, Scythia (or some other cavalry-based faction), then light cavalry is very powerful when used en masse. In this case, I'm referring to the Horse Archer and Persian Archer units.

The big drawback to light cavalry is that it's fragile in a cavalry-vs-cavalry fight.

A huge advantage for light cavalry is speed - I played one dude who had like 1 unit of light cavalry simply for the purpose of hit & run. It was pretty annoying but effective.

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT
theresa mays toe
Legionary
(id: GREEK SCAVENGER)
posted 15 April 2007 09:48 EDT (US)     3 / 13       
Octavium, why ask a question you already know the answer to? Well, you wouldn't charge a unit of Equites full strength into a unit of Praetorian cavalry full strength would you? Unless you are such a good tactitian that the 52 Praeotrians get surrounded by 52 Equites.

The great part is that Scab is apparently among such people. Yes. Greek Scab. My minion. -Stormraider

"Please don't grind on my wench and herr" - Bleedteals sister, asking me and herr not to grind her but mispelling

If he's not trolling I'll strip myself naked, paint myself green, and cheer for Ireland. -Coldviper. I'm still waiting for the proof....
Octavium
Legionary
posted 15 April 2007 09:54 EDT (US)     4 / 13       
Fair point. But the question isn't really what is the difference (though some of the answers to that have been enlightening) but is the strngth advantage of heavy cavalry worth it. I'm saying that as far as I can see Light Cavalry does as good a job of flanking and is faster, so why would you need heavier cavalry?
Brutiangodofrock
Legionary
posted 15 April 2007 10:12 EDT (US)     5 / 13       
for the reason stated above. Light cavalry usually comes out worse in prolonged Melee
Barbarian_Prince
Legionary
posted 15 April 2007 10:13 EDT (US)     6 / 13       
I'm saying that as far as I can see Light Cavalry does as good a job of flanking and is faster, so why would you need heavier cavalry?

I'm pretty sure I answered your question already in my last reply, but to make it more obvious:

If your light cavalry gets in a fight with heavy cavalry (most online players bring it), you're going to get squashed.

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT
Octavium
Legionary
posted 15 April 2007 10:14 EDT (US)     7 / 13       
So basically because light cavalry isn't as good at flanking. Fair enough, thanks.
Barbarian_Prince
Legionary
posted 15 April 2007 10:16 EDT (US)     8 / 13       
I didn't say that. I said if you get in a melee-fight with heavy cavalry, you're going to get squashed.

Octavium
Legionary
posted 15 April 2007 10:18 EDT (US)     9 / 13       
So not that they aren't as good at flanking, but because Heavy Cavs can counter them?
Barbarian_Prince
Legionary
posted 15 April 2007 10:39 EDT (US)     10 / 13       
Basically, yes. But in truth, there really isn't a simple answer (which is what you're looking for).

Maybe if you have more light cavalry than the enemy's heavy cavalry, you can spread out his horses so that you can still strike the infantry's flanks. But that'll be pretty tough to micromanage. But it can still work (you'll have to play like a god for every battle which can be tiring). The question: can you hit the enemy's flanks and, simultaneously, avoid a fight with his cavalry? If you can answer "yes," then you have a sound idea.

You should practice it online and see if it works for you.

The bottom line: light cavalry is great at maneuvering, but you don't want to get in a melee fight with heavy cavalry.

[This message has been edited by Barbarian_Prince (edited 04-15-2007 @ 10:52 AM).]

Octavium
Legionary
posted 15 April 2007 12:17 EDT (US)     11 / 13       
Thanks, sorry for being a bit dense there.
Chamox
Legionary
posted 15 April 2007 12:48 EDT (US)     12 / 13       
Octavium:

If you are looking to out flank, chase down, and play the hit and run strategy, go with Light Cavalry.

If you want to fight a more prolongued time then use Heavy Cavalry.

>>>>>>------------->THELEMA<-------------<<<<<<
TotalWarFanatic
Legionary
posted 15 April 2007 14:35 EDT (US)     13 / 13       
Multi-player-wise, use mainly heavy cavalry unless you are getting cheap "suicide cav" to hit enemy archers or horse archers with. Light cavalry get SLAUGHTERED by heavier cavalry - look at the unit's stats. Masses of light cavalry will lose to lesser numbers of heavy cavalry if the same amount of money is used on both. Same goes when taking on infantry, get less numbers of heavy cavalry and you’ll have more success than masses of cheap cav. Maidens and desert cav can are more effective light cavalry due to their armour piercing ability.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
It would be a violation of my code as a gentleman to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person.-Veeblefester
Ego is the anesthetic for the pain of stupidity.-me A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.
I've put most of my units/skins and ss of them on my new site!:
http://totalwarfantic.tripod.com/
Proud winner of most underrated forumer award!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames