Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.7 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Of Swords and Chevrons
Bottom
Topic Subject:Of Swords and Chevrons
MarxII
Legionary
posted 15 October 2007 19:52 EDT (US)         
Good day, dear persons.

I, Marx, am a novice among novices. I intend to become ridiculously good at multiplayer, and am practicing custom battles to sharpen my ability. In arranging armies I notice that one can for a price upgrade the armor, weaponry or experience of a unit. While better quality arms, armor and experience do make for better soldiers, my upgrades purchased are generally random and I have no particular idea which upgrades to place on what unit, apart from "important unit = make better." Is there some system one or more veterans might let me in on?
AuthorReplies:
Rex Illyrici
Legionary
posted 16 October 2007 02:22 EDT (US)     1 / 7       
Greetings Karl,

I usually like to upgrade the most important troops such as the heavy cavalry to give them more of an effect. Sorry to repeat what you had already said but most of the opponents I've face do the same. Some try to spread the upgrades accross the board but it makes it too even.

Anyway, you won't become better at multiplayer battles by 'practising' in custom battles. You are still playing AI, intelligence which gung-ho charges a general into the phalanx. The best way to 'practise' is to play others.
theboyne
Legionary
posted 16 October 2007 04:34 EDT (US)     2 / 7       
I'm probably imagining it but when I want to upgrade my troops I seem to get a (not advanced enough) situation.

That is. if my troops are wearing padded armour but the city their in produces heavy mail, then they can't upgrade but if they're in a city that produces light mail then they will.

Am I seeing something that isn't there or is it impossible to upgrade out of sequence?
CaesarVincens
Legionary
posted 16 October 2007 12:36 EDT (US)     3 / 7       
He's talking about custom battles, not the campaign.

But you can upgrade out of sequence, if say you had a foundry (or whatever gives silver armor/weapons), and your unit didn't have bronze armor/weapons. (Sometimes the city needs to be able to make that sort of soldier to upgrade them.)

Veni, Vidi, well... you know.

Extended Cultures, A modification of RTW.

Si hoc legere posses, Latinam linguam scis.
ɪf ju kŠn ɹid ­ɪs, ju noʊ liŋgwɪstɪks.
theboyne
Legionary
posted 16 October 2007 14:38 EDT (US)     4 / 7       
That explains it. I've never actually noticed the type of city I'm in when I try to upgrade.

Thanks
nimbert
Legionary
posted 19 October 2007 13:10 EDT (US)     5 / 7       
There is another campaign-mode factor that had me puzzled until the penny dropped. Suppose you have an army that has never been upgraded at all and you move it into a city with, say, an armourer. You will usually be able to upgrade all your various units but sometimes you will find that the program refuses to upgrade a certain unit type.

For example, you might be able to upgrade peltasts and slingers but not archers. The probable cause is that the city lacks a practice range and it could produce archers (but not peltasts or slingers) provided it had one. This means that you can upgrade any units that the city can't recruit but you can't upgrade units that the city can recruit, unless the relevant training facilites (ranges or stables) are present.

I'm going for a little lie-down now cos my brain has started hurting.

[This message has been edited by nimbert (edited 10-19-2007 @ 01:26 PM).]

exe1
Legionary
posted 19 October 2007 14:14 EDT (US)     6 / 7       
There is no real system, it really depends on you. How do you want to fight. For instance, you are the Britons, you pick up some Woad Warriors, incredible attack, incredibly awful defense. You have enough for three weapon upgrades each. You can try to increase your defense, so they last longer, or you can try and up the attack so they tear through enemies with ease. Well, how will you be using them? As your main battle line, or as shock troops?

A few tips, defense upgrades, whether by experience or by shields, do not improve defense against arrows, or any missiles. Shields help when attacked from behind, while experience helps when fighting head on. Shields do that as well, but experience also ups attack and morale. So to be honest, shields are not that useful, unless you want to surprise someone with the stoutness of your line and you don't have the cash for chevrons.

Also, you usually don't want to half ass swords or shields. Go all the way, because plus one isn't that effective, whereas plus three, with no obvious changes to the unit, can be surprising. Your opponent might not expect some units to be so powerful. Experience makes more sense to distribute. Your whole line is less likely to fail.

Share our wealth!
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
As far as I can tell, Baltimore is in redneck country ~ Bored Scotsman
You all realize that both Halo and Starcraft stole their storyline from tetris, right? ~He113ent
MarxII
Legionary
posted 20 October 2007 00:31 EDT (US)     7 / 7       
Interesting. So it is true then that the foe has no way of knowing what upgrades I have given to which units? This adds an entirely new dimension, whether to upgrade my anvil of infantry or hammer of cavalry...
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames