You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.23 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Best Mods?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Best Mods?
SilvrSheldCavlry
Legionary
posted 15 October 2007 22:55 EDT (US)         
Which mods for RTW Gold are the BEST?

Since you guys here are probably much more knowledgable than I am, since I just started beating the campaign regularly, I was wondering what mods you guys used, or recommend. I was thinking of trying Mudus something or the other. Any thoughts?

Most appreciated
AuthorReplies:
CaesarVincens
Legionary
posted 16 October 2007 01:19 EDT (US)     1 / 23       
I've played XGM, RTR, EB, and FATW: TNS.

XGM is in my opinion the best mod out there. It doesn't sacrifice the "fun factor" for realism like EB or RTR, but still gives the game much more depth.

RTR is also very good; it adds much realism and depth to the game, version 7.0 is supposed to come out soon.

EB is a very realistic, very difficult mod; I've only not gone into debt as the Romans in the campaigns I've done on it. Version 1.0 just came out, and I started a Averni (one of two Gauls) campaign, I quickly went into the red after one turn, and only just got out after cutting my military budget.

If you go to Total War Center you can find many more amazing mods for RTW.

Veni, Vidi, well... you know.

Extended Cultures, A modification of RTW.

Si hoc legere posses, Latinam linguam scis.
ɪf ju kŠn ɹid ­ɪs, ju noʊ liŋgwɪstɪks.
Rex Illyrici
Legionary
posted 16 October 2007 02:14 EDT (US)     2 / 23       
Quote Caesarvincens: "I've played XGM, RTR, EB, and FATW: TNS."

I see you haven't tried Roma Surrectum...
maybe you should try it and perhaps your opinion would differ...
CaesarVincens
Legionary
posted 16 October 2007 03:00 EDT (US)     3 / 23       
I've read that one is good as well, but I don't think anything will replace XGM for my mod of choice.

Of course, you apparently disagree, which is great because there needs to be more than one side to these types of answers.

Excelencia
Legionary
posted 16 October 2007 05:21 EDT (US)     4 / 23       
I agree with CaesarVincens, XGM (Extended greek mod)
is very nice mod. It has giant map, Area of Recuritment(A system that after building some barrack you will be able to built some units belongs to the certain area..), and many new units..also keeps the RTW vanilla so you can play original game...

RTR(Rome Total Realism) is very accurrate units and good choices of Area of Recuritment, giant map....

However, his map has lots of cities actually too much, you must fight many sieges... Also, units have two hit points thus battles last longer... and cavalary attack is very weak...and PHASE buldings (buildings must be built to recurit units ) are last long to build and expensive causes the campaigns become slow...

BareBones very good skins, excellent unit distrbution for all factions, giant map with lots of spaces between them so more field battles, but terrible economy (IMO)...

EB (Europa Barbaroum ) is realistic but very complicated game, also its sistem requirements are higher than vanilla.
It works slow on my computer...

Rome Surrectum, very good mod, giant map but lots of space between cities, very realistic animations and excellent skins, but system requirements are higher than RTW vanilla

I vote is for XGM for now...
Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 16 October 2007 10:25 EDT (US)     5 / 23       
I have played RTR and XGM. I liked RTR better, because XGM limits you more in gameplay. Downloading EB right now, can't wait to try it out.

Also see TWCenter, if you scroll down to the released mods section you will find a few good mods.

Hussarknight

[This message has been edited by Hussarknight (edited 10-16-2007 @ 10:36 AM).]

theboyne
Legionary
posted 16 October 2007 11:24 EDT (US)     6 / 23       
I prefer RTR to EB (I consistently lose within 30 turns using exactly the same tactics I use in RTR).

What or rather where is XGM. I don't think I've ever seen that one.
SilvrSheldCavlry
Legionary
posted 16 October 2007 11:49 EDT (US)     7 / 23       
Thank you all for your advice.

I think that I'll try XGM.

Thanx
CaesarVincens
Legionary
posted 16 October 2007 12:39 EDT (US)     8 / 23       
Oh don't try just XGM, try as many as you wish, just copy your RTW folder for each, so you won't have to reinstall for every mod.

rvtende
Legionary
posted 16 October 2007 16:19 EDT (US)     9 / 23       
i prefer XGM to the other mods also it gives you a real challenge compared to the other mods, sometimes factions send a full stack against you every turn and when the moment comes you break throug it gives you a very good feeling. i don't say the others mods aren't worth trying but XGM is in my opinion the best one.
Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 16 October 2007 18:08 EDT (US)     10 / 23       
Welcome to the forums SilvrSheldCavlry.
I always enjoyed Mundus Magnus and conquering the entire world for the Senate faction was one of my all-time favourite RTW campaigns.

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

Danilh
Legionary
posted 16 October 2007 19:50 EDT (US)     11 / 23       
I haven't played any other mods but i can say that if thee are in the search for a challenge i shall recomend Europa Barbarorum the upkeeps are enourmous (trirreme fleet = 6500 to recruit and 1200 upkeep) and the ai gets money wich means : you got the brains , the ai got the money.

EDIT: Also see this page with (Almost) All mods for RTW and BI

[This message has been edited by Danilh (edited 10-16-2007 @ 07:56 PM).]

SilvrSheldCavlry
Legionary
posted 16 October 2007 22:05 EDT (US)     12 / 23       
WOW! Thanks I never realized there were so many options.

Looks like i'll be spending quite some time trying out these new things.

Is there anything to make the computer smarter on field battles? I heard about a 'Darth'? mod which was supposed to do that, not sure if thats true.

THANX AGAIN.
SubRosa
Legionary
posted 16 October 2007 22:50 EDT (US)     13 / 23       
Darth Formations and Sinuhet's Formations are both minor mods that alter the way the computer fights, and can be added to any other mods. Which one you like better is a matter of taste I think. Personally I like Sinuhet's better.
CaesarVincens
Legionary
posted 16 October 2007 22:51 EDT (US)     14 / 23       
The Darth mod updates formations, both human and AI.

MrBonzai211
Legionary
posted 16 October 2007 23:21 EDT (US)     15 / 23       
Wouldn't it be awesome if the company released the version they made for the history channel?
rvtende
Legionary
posted 17 October 2007 11:24 EDT (US)     16 / 23       
you mean the 'decisive battles' programm? i saw it yesterday but wasn't it just barbarian invasion?
Danilh
Legionary
posted 17 October 2007 16:58 EDT (US)     17 / 23       
Nay, they had wagon barricades for boudicca and arrow-transporting camels for Carhae
BastWorshiper
Sensei
posted 17 October 2007 18:38 EDT (US)     18 / 23       
I debated whether I should put this question here or in the "Fourth Age: Total Problem" thread, but I'll try to turn it into a general question.

Many mods say they are for BI, including FATW. Do I have to have BI or will they run with RTW 1.5?

[This message has been edited by BastWorshiper (edited 10-17-2007 @ 06:39 PM).]

SubRosa
Legionary
posted 17 October 2007 19:33 EDT (US)     19 / 23       
You probably do need BI, although not necessarily. For example, XGM will work with either BI or RTW, you just get more out of it with BI (like night battles). It also looks like Lord of the Rings Total War will work on regular RTW, even though it is made for Alexander. Again, I guess you will just miss out on some of the bells and whistles.

Those are the only two mods I can say with any degree so certainty that will work without BI (or Alex) however. Other mods might not be so flexible.

No harm in trying though. Well, no harm so long as the mod uses mod switch (which will not overwrite your original game files). If a mod does not work the only thing you lose is the time to download and install it.
Mythic_Commodore
Ministerialis
posted 17 October 2007 20:51 EDT (US)     20 / 23       
The LOTR: TW 2.0 Beta requires Alexander, unfortunately, although the final version will work on RTW 1.5.

Cyclohexane - it's what's for dinner!
Danilh
Legionary
posted 18 October 2007 19:12 EDT (US)     21 / 23       
EB also works with BI (too many abreviatons?) and i think it's better with it (naval invasions)
rvtende
Legionary
posted 19 October 2007 02:39 EDT (US)     22 / 23       
You probably do need BI, although not necessarily. For example, XGM will work with either BI or RTW, you just get more out of it with BI (like night battles).

i'm playing XGM but don't have BI but i can play night battles so also other BI parts (which i heard about) is available even though i don't have BI.
SubRosa
Legionary
posted 19 October 2007 11:57 EDT (US)     23 / 23       
Well, it is possible to get night battles in RTW 1.5 if you do a little modding (look here). The feature is in that version but was never implemented for some reason. My guess was because they wanted BI to be more unique by being the only TW game (at that time) with night battles.

In the case of XGM, DBH (who wrote the tutorial above), obviously unlocked it for the RTW side. He probably had to in order to make the mod work with both the RTW and BI executables.

[This message has been edited by SubRosa (edited 10-19-2007 @ 11:59 AM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames