You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.15 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Friendly Fire?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Friendly Fire?
MrBonzai211
Legionary
posted 16 October 2007 20:48 EDT (US)         
Is there such a thing as friendly fire in RTW or BI? I'm always afraid of putting an arrow into my cavalry's unprotected backs so I always have to make sure my archers are inactive when the hand to hand battles start. Is this good strategy, or is there really no friendly fire in this game?
AuthorReplies:
SubRosa
Legionary
posted 16 October 2007 21:09 EDT (US)     1 / 15       
Friendly fire is very real. When I play a horse archer faction I typically lose more men and women to my own arrows than I do from the enemy (which is not to say that I lose a great deal to friendly fire). When your melee fighters close in with a missile target you want to stop firing, and remember that your archers do not stop firing immediately. Watch to make sure that they are no longer shooting before you send anyone into hand to hand.
MrBonzai211
Legionary
posted 16 October 2007 21:23 EDT (US)     2 / 15       
So does that mean I'm also killing my own guard whenever I send a second unit into a melee battle and they throw their javelins? WTF!?
loose_the_arrows
Legionary
posted 16 October 2007 22:29 EDT (US)     3 / 15       
Well yea...I mean its realistic...if you were riding in to attack an enemy that is engaged with friendlies and you threw a javelin there is a chance that one of your guys moves in front of that javelin in the commotion. I mean you will kill enemies to so if you want fire into a crowd then go ahead....

"Men... must have corrupted nature a little, for they were not born wolves, and they have become wolves. God did not give them twenty-four-pounder cannons or bayonets, and they have made bayonets and cannons to destroy each other."
- Voltaire, Candide, Chapter 4
Marcus Victor
Legionary
posted 17 October 2007 00:55 EDT (US)     4 / 15       
It's very much like real life, if you fire lots of arrows into a raging battle, you will take out your own men. Depending on how ruthless you are, you can do it or not. Personally, my men take their own chances charging into battle with me in command, but then I am evil......
ShieldWall
Legionary
posted 17 October 2007 11:03 EDT (US)     5 / 15       
You will take out a few of your own blokes when firing into a place where your own men are fighting, but the majority should hit the enemy, and remember although you may kill a few of your own men, the shock of the missiles could rout the enemy faster and save more lives than if you'd just hacked your way through with swords. Probably the best idea though to fire into the backs of the enemy and not the backs of your own men. Nobody likes an arrow in the back.
loose_the_arrows
Legionary
posted 17 October 2007 11:12 EDT (US)     6 / 15       
Yea this works great against phalanx heavy armies....run some Illyrians around behind the pinned down phalanx and throw a few vollies...they will break fairly quick...and sure you might hit one of your own men but thats war...I wouldn't worry about it to much unless you plan on unloading on the backs of one of your own units...2 or 3 men per battle won't really make that big of a difference.

"Men... must have corrupted nature a little, for they were not born wolves, and they have become wolves. God did not give them twenty-four-pounder cannons or bayonets, and they have made bayonets and cannons to destroy each other."
mikecz
Legionary
posted 17 October 2007 12:00 EDT (US)     7 / 15       
Because of the friendly fire issue, I usually take missile units off "fire at will" when my infantry or cav are about to hit the enemy units. Depending on how many missile units I have & what the enemy has, I'll often have all missiles fire at one enemy unit (that I don't have engaged with melee units), hoping to get that unit to break into a route. As soon as combat is actually engaged, I like to try to break at least one enemy unit into route A.S.A.P. for the demoralizing effect on the other enemy units.

I have certainly had units (including pretty good generals) killed by friendly fire, especially by my slingers when I played Carthage. The Carthage campaign really taught me to think about how to place & move units to minimize friendly fire incidents.
LloydBrown
Legionary
posted 17 October 2007 12:30 EDT (US)     8 / 15       
And on a similar note, since I played Britain, I've stopped using missile fire almost entirely. I played around with the head hurlers, which are amazing for all of 3 shots, but that's it. Once I conquered the world with footmen and chariots, I weaned myself of any reliance on archers.

On the other hand, they're great for defending your cities. An archer firing into a solid wall of enemies from behind cover is a happy soldier.
SubRosa
Legionary
posted 17 October 2007 18:20 EDT (US)     9 / 15       
That is funny. I have been playing Briton and the light chariots are the foundation to every army I have. I have some of them up to one or two silver experience now (about 30 turns and 20 territories in), and not one infantry unit with more than a single bronze experience chevron. The chariot archers really tear up poorly armored barbarians like the Germans, Gauls, and Iberians. By the time my infantry get into the fight it is usually almost over.
Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 17 October 2007 18:25 EDT (US)     10 / 15       
Try some artillery fire into a melee mosh and you'll see some serious friendly fire

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

theboyne
Legionary
posted 17 October 2007 20:50 EDT (US)     11 / 15       
I've managed to kill at least one of my generals because I forgot that automatic placement always sticks the artillery at the back of the army.

It shouldn't be possible to undershoot THAT much but no, a ball of flaming death straight in the back of his head in the first few minutes of the battle. Morale was not high after that, I can tell you.

Incidentally, the Roman Testudo doesn't protect you from getting shot in the ass.
SubRosa
Legionary
posted 17 October 2007 20:58 EDT (US)     12 / 15       
Try some artillery fire into a melee mosh and you'll see some serious friendly fire
Or about ten horse archer units firing at one routing enemy unit. You do not want to try to run them down when a thousand arrows (literally) are raining down every few seconds. Or let the routers run near one of your units. That is where I take almost all my casualties when playing a horse archer faction.
terminus3st
Legionary
posted 17 October 2007 23:53 EDT (US)     13 / 15       
I agree with MikeCZ... use your arrows, but turn off "fire at will" when your people close with the enemy...

a bit of a quote from the ol' Braveheart...

Longshanks: Archers.
English Commander: Beg your pardon sire, but won't we hit our own troops ?
Longshanks: Yes... but we'll hit theirs as well. We have reserves... attack .

Through the wind-swept coastal trees;
Where the dead come rising from the sea.
loose_the_arrows
Legionary
posted 18 October 2007 00:09 EDT (US)     14 / 15       
That exact scene came to mind when I first read this...I love that movie....

terminus3st
Legionary
posted 18 October 2007 00:35 EDT (US)     15 / 15       
It's truly true... I've been playing the Sassonids lately, and all I have to do is watch when my full army of uber-heavy cav run into a minor Levy spears, or their equivelant - NO damage with melee, but once my arrows start flying from the back... My uber-armored cav - Cataphracts, Cibinirii(sp?), IMMORTALS... (best in the game, yes? Give me a better cav...) start taking hits... and i zoom into the group taking those hits... the weak lil' footsoldiers do nothing... but then i see the rain of arrows come down... it's quite apparent after that.

Through the wind-swept coastal trees;
Where the dead come rising from the sea.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames