You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.5 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Phalanx on bridge instadeath to cavalry?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Phalanx on bridge instadeath to cavalry?
Asehujiko
Legionary
posted 20 October 2007 13:21 EDT (US)         
I got bored with my julii campaign(nothing left save for rome and alot of rebels all over the place) so i did some costum battles.

Huge unit size, limited ammo turned off, morale turned off, fatigue turned off. 1.5 vanilla.

Greece(me)
milita hoplites

Selucia(computer)
Cataphracts, 9 chevrons, gold weapon, gold armor.

As you can see, the odds are slighty in favour of the AI so i picked the nile river map, starte the battle and positioned my militia on my edge of the bridge. When the grey tide hit, my comp lagged out and i went to watch some tv. Much to my azaement, when i came back, there were 2000 dead horses neatly piled up in a row just before the first layer of spears.

From the looks of it, if the phalanx damage zone overlaps with the bridge zone(which starts a few feet away from the graphic bridge), any cavalry attempting to enter will die, Not taking either unit's strenth into effect.

Could not be reproduced on campaign maps or on other bridge maps, it's specific to Nile Bridge costum map as far as i know.
AuthorReplies:
Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 20 October 2007 13:50 EDT (US)     1 / 5       
This can be done on all bridges. Phalanxes will kill most that hits them from the front. Works even better when two phalanxes form a V-shape at the end of the bridge. Combine with missiles for greater effect.
And this isn't exactly new.

Hussarknight
CaesarVincens
Legionary
posted 20 October 2007 13:52 EDT (US)     2 / 5       
Yes, phalanx units can do that to cavalry, but I suspect that turning off morale had something to do with it, because if your men can't rout, those 2000 horses don't have an effect on your men.
Though it is strange that no other custom battle maps worked.

Now, for something really amazing, take any two phalanges, then put them behind the bridge in a V pattern, such that their spears overlap. This also works behind wooden walls, you just need a pair for each ram.

Veni, Vidi, well... you know.

Extended Cultures, A modification of RTW.

Si hoc legere posses, Latinam linguam scis.
ɪf ju kŠn ɹid ­ɪs, ju noʊ liŋgwɪstɪks.
Asehujiko
Legionary
posted 21 October 2007 07:11 EDT (US)     3 / 5       
I know that phalanx should have a good bonus against cavalry but in this case they were insane. Normaly the cataphracts are powerful enough to charge through the spear wall but take massive casualties as always but in this case they all died the moment they touched the first row.

Tested it again but this time i deployed a few feet away from the bridge and my militia got massacred by the cataphracts without getting a single kill in return.
Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 21 October 2007 08:00 EDT (US)     4 / 5       
Normaly the cataphracts are powerful enough to charge through the spear wall but take massive casualties as always but in this case they all died the moment they touched the first row.
Most units can't charge properly on ab ridge. That's probably why they didn't break the phalanx.

Hussarknight
Asehujiko
Legionary
posted 22 October 2007 04:20 EDT (US)     5 / 5       
Third test, back in the old phalanx position, less units this time(just 1 set of cataphracts)

They hit the spear wall, stood there for a few seconds being attacked by the militia for a few seconds and bounced back a bit while taking a few casualties. Repeated this untill 80 or so died and the rest routed.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames