Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.7 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » cantabrian circle
Bottom
Topic Subject:cantabrian circle
versalife
Legionary
posted 21 October 2007 08:23 EDT (US)         
Hi
Does anyone know what advantage cantabrian circle formation gives?
Is true that its good to deploy it against enemy archers?
Thanks
AuthorReplies:
Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 21 October 2007 08:27 EDT (US)     1 / 7       
As far as I know it's less vulnerable to missile fire. That would make it more effective against enemy archers, but I think it will still lose to foot archers.

Hussarknight
LloydBrown
Legionary
posted 21 October 2007 09:43 EDT (US)     2 / 7       
The only thing you need to fear in a Cantabrian circle is a unit of cavalry charging you. Otherwise, they'll attack until they're out of missiles and rarely lose a man.
theboyne
Legionary
posted 21 October 2007 10:56 EDT (US)     3 / 7       
As far as I'm concerned, Cantabrian circles are easy to kill. Since I tend to have missile heavy armies though, anything without good armour tends to get chewed up.

I have a lot more trouble with bow-armed cataphracts (sp?) who can just sit there and take the punishment.

Given that they ARE cataphracts when they run out of ammo, they charge and quickly kill off my missile troops.
General_Zavier
Legionary
posted 21 October 2007 11:49 EDT (US)     4 / 7       
Does anyone know what advantage cantabrian circle formation gives?
Its a constant barrage of arrows instead of just a volley every few seconds.

Its a lot worse for enemy moral than normal formation is.

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth. ~Niels Bohr
No matter how hard you try, you cannot outwit stupid people. ~Anonymous
Romano British AAR ~Defunct.
Kingdom of Albion AAR ~Finished 1/26/08.
WRE Migration/Defensive AAR ~Defunct.
Numidian Defensive AAR ~Ongoing
SubRosa
Legionary
posted 21 October 2007 16:36 EDT (US)     5 / 7       
I have found that Cantabrian Circle does help reduce casualties in archery duels, whether against horse or foot archers. However, I do not use it much because when I do my units seem less likely to skirmish away when enemies approach. They also tire out because they are essentially running the entire time. I only turn it on for units who are actually taking missile fire when there are no other enemy units likely to charge at them.

[This message has been edited by SubRosa (edited 10-21-2007 @ 04:37 PM).]

BastWorshiper
Sensei
posted 22 October 2007 09:11 EDT (US)     6 / 7       
I never use cantabrian circle with jav-cav, but I often use it with HAs. Try to use it when attacking wooden walls to maintain fire on enemy units near the gate without having to worry about towers.
I've found the only way to get it to work properly, though, is to turn fire at will off and double-click the target. You have to keep an eye on them, because they will maintain a constant distance from the target; and they'll chase it right into the enemy formation.
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 22 October 2007 09:26 EDT (US)     7 / 7       
Hail, warlord! We do not to use the circle of the unpronounceable name as we consider it extremely cruel to the horses. We prefer volleys of arrows, and the subsequent watching of many fools falling at once. Plus, if a silly pack of hostile horseborne seeks to engage in glorious melee with our horseborne archers, they have the speed and the stamina to evade such foolishness and riddle the charging sods with arrows from afar, as is the way of honor among the Windswept Plains.

The stamina would thus be reduced by using such a circle and enable our poorly-armored mounts to be caught and properly butchered, which would be displeasing to the women who would be made widows by our folly.

Thus we use volleys for the entertainment of watching foes become ravenfood, and simultaneously avoid the nagging whine of newly-made widows yammering about our tactical decisions.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames