You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.15 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Roman's hording in North Africa!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Roman's hording in North Africa!
MrBonzai211
Legionary
posted 23 October 2007 16:27 EDT (US)         
So I'm at the point where there is no one left on the map except me and the other two roman families. I just took control of Northern Africa and I just spotted a GIANT horde of roughly 17 stacks of troops heading my way. I've only done battle with the first three and they are all maxed out at about 600 troops (I'm using the smallest platoon size). Anyways, I'm panicked and have withdrawn all of my troops to the city and I've sent out three units of onagers to harass the incoming troops. I can usually take about 70 units out before I'm forced to withdraw from battle. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has experienced hording by a roman family and what the best strategy would be to repel them. Right now I'm in fearing of losing all of my territory in this region, but if I can exterminate the horde I can sweep into their territory and quickly conquer the militarily depleted regime.
AuthorReplies:
General_Zavier
Legionary
posted 23 October 2007 19:37 EDT (US)     1 / 15       
Could we get a screenshot maybe? I'm a little confused what you mean by "horde" (I thought they were only in BI? Unless you modded Rome?)

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth. ~Niels Bohr
No matter how hard you try, you cannot outwit stupid people. ~Anonymous
Romano British AAR ~Defunct.
Kingdom of Albion AAR ~Finished 1/26/08.
WRE Migration/Defensive AAR ~Defunct.
Numidian Defensive AAR ~Ongoing
loose_the_arrows
Legionary
posted 23 October 2007 20:13 EDT (US)     2 / 15       
I've seen Roman factions who have tons of stacks but never 17 all in a concentrated area. It sounds like fun to me....If you can fall back behind a river I would depending on where your at in Africa...I'd even abandon my city when facing that many stacks.

"Men... must have corrupted nature a little, for they were not born wolves, and they have become wolves. God did not give them twenty-four-pounder cannons or bayonets, and they have made bayonets and cannons to destroy each other."
- Voltaire, Candide, Chapter 4
Seleucia Reborn
Legionary
posted 23 October 2007 20:40 EDT (US)     3 / 15       
General_Zavier he doesen't actually mean horde he just means that there are 17 stacks all coming down on him at once.

All the advice I can give is pull all forces out except for what you need to fully garrison the cities so you can protect them. Make sure you try to rotate new troops in if you don't have time to retrain them.
General_Zavier
Legionary
posted 23 October 2007 20:42 EDT (US)     4 / 15       
Oh, okay. That's kinda what I thought, but I wasn't 100% sure.

Too bad its in Africa and there's really no bridges anywhere down there.

Your best bet would probably be to just stay within one turn of Carthage (if you control it) so you can retrain troops easily and take them on one or two at a time.

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth. ~Niels Bohr
No matter how hard you try, you cannot outwit stupid people. ~Anonymous
Romano British AAR ~Defunct.
Kingdom of Albion AAR ~Finished 1/26/08.
WRE Migration/Defensive AAR ~Defunct.
Numidian Defensive AAR ~Ongoing
Captain Flynn
Legionary
posted 24 October 2007 00:38 EDT (US)     5 / 15       
If I remember correctly(haven't been in that area since my first Julii campaign), there is a bridge just south of Carthage, I'd put you armies there, much better than a city as you can't get surrounded.

[This message has been edited by Captain Flynn (edited 10-24-2007 @ 00:38 AM).]

MrBonzai211
Legionary
posted 24 October 2007 01:12 EDT (US)     6 / 15       
It is actually a horde. I watched them build this army on the opposite side of the map and it's been slowly moving my way as a huge group. I would love to give a screen shot but I'm not sure how to do it.
steace43
Legionary
posted 24 October 2007 04:35 EDT (US)     7 / 15       
I not sure how well it would work since you're using small unit sizes, but you could try getting some mercenery hoplites and block off the street in your cities with some range units behind them. It works great on huge unit sizes, but it might be harder for you since the hoplites might not have enough men to cover the whole street properly, or if you have alot of money, just bring up a skilled diplomat and bribe them. It will cost alot, but it will quickly give you a few more armies to fight them with, while still weakening them.

For screenshots, fraps would be the best choice, but if you don't want to get that, just press shift and print screen ingame and then go to paint and paste it in there (save it as a .jpg instead of .bmp, it make a huge difference in file size). After saving the file with any method, upload it to imageshack. Once you've done that, they will provide a template for posting a thumbail for it on forums.

llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
MrBonzai211
Legionary
posted 24 October 2007 10:23 EDT (US)     8 / 15       
I've tried to buy off some of the units but since they are horded so closely no one will be bought out because of the danger of being killed by the units next to them. I've found that I can't bribe anyone of another enemy unit is within one movement turn away from them. I've even had this problem with diplomats with 4 wreaths. I'll try to get a pic for you guys cuz it's really insane to see all of this.

Also, can I increase troop sizes when I get my new computer next week or do I have to start a whole new game to do that?
Captain Flynn
Legionary
posted 24 October 2007 11:17 EDT (US)     9 / 15       
You need to start a new game :/
Mr Hankis Throne
Legionary
posted 24 October 2007 11:29 EDT (US)     10 / 15       
Mao Tse Tung provides the military strategy in this situation (even in its most positive and negative aspects). Play for time, delay, harass, use your diplomatic assets to create unrest behind enemy lines, concentrate forces in a battle ground of your choosing very VERY far away from where the enemy is now. You need time to concentrate. You'll need at least ten stacks, maybe just eight, to go head-to-head, so you are delaying til that time. Mao had the disgusting habit of send prominent and powerful generals into difficult situations against the enemy just to see them die; this option is also available to you to get rid of some less-desirable family members. Send them to command you guerilla forces, maybe they die to your convenience.

The real risk here is that you might find yourself trapped in Africa. So long as the enemy remains in Africa, you know where they are. But if you find yourself to a point but you have not concentrated enough power to counterattack, then a maritime evac of so many troops might prove difficult; also once evac'ed, it is not clear what the enemy will do with their stacks. They could move them en masse to one of your provinces on the other side of the Mediterranean (but which one?) or they could disperse and hit all of your territories on many fronts. I'd love this kind of challenge. Rarely does the game present something that is so different.
steace43
Legionary
posted 24 October 2007 12:29 EDT (US)     11 / 15       
Oh and btw, could you upload that save to HG? It sounds like one of the rare realy good challenges in rtw

Seleucia Reborn
Legionary
posted 24 October 2007 12:38 EDT (US)     12 / 15       
Chances are they won't move our of Africa if you lose your settlements there, the most they would do is send some to the Middle East and Egypt. Hold On as long as you can but don't waste all your resources there if you Want save them for last and focus on the other remaining families. Once that is done then you can send every stack you have to Africa.
MrBonzai211
Legionary
posted 24 October 2007 15:13 EDT (US)     13 / 15       
" Oh and btw, could you upload that save to HG? It sounds like one of the rare realy good challenges in rtw"

What is HG and how do I upload a file to that?
steace43
Legionary
posted 24 October 2007 15:26 EDT (US)     14 / 15       
HG=Heaven Games, which this site is a part of. To upload a save, go to C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\saves and find the file named <the name of your save game>.sav, compress it with winzip and then upload it here.

Danilh
Legionary
posted 24 October 2007 17:37 EDT (US)     15 / 15       
A great General wins a battle before the moment of combat.If the enemy is fresh,tire him;If he is eager,shake his morale;if they look organidzed , scramble his troops.
When outnumbered look for chokepoints and wait how much of his force is needed so you can fight in adantage
.Example: 1200 enemies assault a bridge,and you got 400 troops;wait until 200-300 of them pass so you are always fighting in 2-1 odds.
when your troops are insufficient, focus one flank and prepare that flank, but leave the enemy trying to prepare both.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames