You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.19 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Training of new units from map?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Training of new units from map?
neversommer
Legionary
posted 08 June 2008 05:31 EDT (US)         
Hello guys

I've been playing rome total war since now 2 weeks and do a full campaign,good fun,but not really easy at times.

Well i've got this big question. About the training of new units!

Since the south part of the huge map such as egypt and stuff have camels and elephants to be trained I took over the region in thinking I will be able to train elephants and be a bit more dominant

Well no luck I took over almost the whole south part with alexandria mine and lots of other cities.

But I got region over places to build camels and elephants and so on but I can't do I have to send something or someone over there or is this time dependant ? I am around 190bc or something cant remember with the house of scipii.

Also another question,since I took over the other cities by my diplomat I got all the time riots. How can I stop that?

They rioting and there is no stopping till I loose the city because of riots.

Any help greatly appreciated guys!

Thank you and thank god I found this forum.

Neversommer
AuthorReplies:
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 08 June 2008 05:53 EDT (US)     1 / 19       
Hail, Noble Lord Neversommer!

Welcome to our Chamber of Peers! There is much gathered wisdom concerning much of what thou does request found by having thy hairless rodent chew upon these runes.

As to thy query regarding the use of pachyderms, those magnificent beasties are limited to those Noble Houses which can call them to their banners. Thy Skipping Wearers of Bedsheets, alas, are not amongst them. There are some few sell-swords who use pachyderms, but they are very few and very far between.

May thy Sword remain Eversharp and the Horns of Victory sound for Thee,

Terikel Grayhair

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 08 June 2008 05:58 EDT (US)     2 / 19       
Hi neversommer, welcome to TWH.

You may want to check out Terikelís Collection of the Wisdom of Our Peers for Fresh Warlords and the Newbie FAQ. They hold the answers to many frequently asked questions.

The reason you can't train elephant or camel units is because they aren't in your unit roster. Each faction has it's own units (tough some are shared with other factions) and they can only train these units, along with mercenaries. If you right click on the card of a building along the bottom of the screen, you can see what units you can train there.

You can avoid riots by keeping the people happy. You can do this by building temples (law ones are best), entertainment buildings, increasing the cities garrison (peasants are best here) and by giving the city a governor with high influence. Avoid buildings giving a public health or population growth bonus, as the more you have of these, the more people there will be and the higher the chance of riots.

PS: Sorry for stealing your text SubRosa

Hussarknight
Ischenous
Legionary
posted 08 June 2008 06:12 EDT (US)     3 / 19       
I took over the other cities by my diplomat
You mean you bribed them? I find it's usually not a good idea unless the settlement is the same culture, a nearby army can get there and you have a lot of money and having that amount of money is bad due to corruption traits.

Calling all new people. USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION before asking a question. Thank you.
Alert the APOCOLYPSE is coming!!!!!!!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM(Itcame)
"TWH Guild Award (Best Duo/Trio) -Ischenous/IJ"- Tryhard. Why he chose that nomination, I don't know...
Pizzadude
Legionary
posted 08 June 2008 07:09 EDT (US)     4 / 19       
Yeah cities tend to riot if you bribe them. As Ischenous said, it doesn't matter much if the culture's the same, but with different cultures, they are very likely to riot. Basically follow Hussarknights tips on this one.

As for the recruitment of Elephant and Camel units, Terikel and Hussarknight said it already. Because you are playing with the Scipii, you cannot train Elephant units anywhere because they aren't in their unit roster. However, if you have a general unit and try to recruit some mercenaries in North Afrika, you might be able to find some Elephant/Camel units there.

British AAR/HSR On hold, last update was on 11/06/08 or 06/11/08 for you Americans.
Andalus
Legionary
posted 08 June 2008 14:29 EDT (US)     5 / 19       
There are no merc camel units (Though there are in BI).
Mercenary War Elephants can be found in these two merc pools.
'Syria' (Assyria, Syria, Babylonia, Coele Syria, Phoenicia, Judaea)
'North Africa' (Mauretania, Numidia, Gaetulia, Sahara)

Of course, if you have modded Roman Elephants into the game (), the Scipii can train as many Elephants as I wish...
SubRosa
Legionary
posted 08 June 2008 14:51 EDT (US)     6 / 19       
Bones40
Legionary
posted 08 June 2008 15:06 EDT (US)     7 / 19       
I believe either the Rome:Total Realism mod or the Extended Greek Mod allow for recruiting local troops that are not on your unit roster. I have both mods, but haven't played either extensively but I thought I saw that feature.

If that is a major sticking point for you, you may want to look into those mods.

[This message has been edited by Bones40 (edited 06-08-2008 @ 04:26 PM).]

Andalus
Legionary
posted 08 June 2008 15:37 EDT (US)     8 / 19       
Mercenary Bedouins and Mercenary Bedouin Archers are both camel units you can hire in RTW.
That is very true. Slight memory lapse there.
They're nice and cheap as well.

At the risk of being compeletely wrong again, I'll say I don't think there are any auxiliary camel or elephant units in XGM.

No, forget that, there are Indian Elephants. Wrong again, Andalus.
Also, there are Mercenary Bedouin Archers still. Wrong on both counts. Oh well...
neversommer
Legionary
posted 08 June 2008 20:04 EDT (US)     9 / 19       
First of all thank you so much for your extensive feedback regarding my 2 questions.
Well I have heard of the realismmod but which one would really allow the training of the units from the region you are taking over?

I mean it is realistic that once you take over a region in real and you discover new units such as elephants that you might be capable of training them and adding them to your units inventory

I love playing the elephants as I wanna create a battle a bit a la lord of the rings 3,return of the king. You know what I am saying? I love huge battles and therefor elephants are a must for me

Also are there any addons worth downloading that adds things like units and new characters or something like that? I found the lack of commanders and governor disburbing,when I take over(bribe)other cities I dont have anyone to governor the city

Which addon would add new units to it and some extra changes which you guys think is cool and a MUST.

I got the alexandria and barbarian addon as well but haven't installed it as of yet as I wanna finish the rome campaign first

Let me know guys,seems you guys are really into this game

LET BATTLE COMMENCE!

Neversommer
jimUK
Legionary
posted 08 June 2008 20:08 EDT (US)     10 / 19       
if you want lord of the rings, download the FATW mod (Fourth age: total war?) its set in middle earth, and you play as factions such as rohan, gondor etc.
They have OLIPHAUNTS! :P

if you want loads of new stuff, i reccomend XGM (Extended greek mod). in my opinion, its the best mod, and theres tons of new units, including the mighty indian elepants and Greek Hypaspists
Thy Skipping Wearers of Bedsheets
I'm guessing that translates to the house of scipii, but i don't see the connection :P

[This message has been edited by jimUK (edited 06-08-2008 @ 08:10 PM).]

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 09 June 2008 05:31 EDT (US)     11 / 19       
From the Top of this Scroll:
But I got region over places to build camels and elephants and so on but I can't do I have to send something or someone over there or is this time dependant ? I am around 190bc or something cant remember with the house of scipii.
Lord Jimuk, please direct thy attention to scribblings after the curly rune.

Does thou now see the connection?

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 09 June 2008 10:05 EDT (US)     12 / 19       
Rome: Total Realism allows you to recruit local units, for example the Romans can train Gaullic Auxilia in the Gaullic provinces.

Hussarknight
Bones40
Legionary
posted 09 June 2008 19:58 EDT (US)     13 / 19       
In fact, I think local auxiliary units are all you can recruit in freshly conquered settlements until you build up your tiered recruiting buildings, right? Simulating the transition from the conquered culture to yours I believe.
if you want loads of new stuff, i reccomend XGM (Extended greek mod). in my opinion, its the best mod, and theres tons of new units, including the mighty indian elepants and Greek Hypaspists
From my brief looks at the two mods (about 20 turns by various factions per mod) RTR has much more new things than XGM. Including brand new skins for every unit in the game. It basically seems like RTR did with every faction what XGM did for the Greek factions. I could definitely be wrong though.

[This message has been edited by Bones40 (edited 06-09-2008 @ 08:03 PM).]

Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 10 June 2008 10:17 EDT (US)     14 / 19       
This can, however, be overcome by training local units for your armies. Each area has it's own unique units that can be recruited by the ruling faction. Before any local units can be trained a series of Auxilia buildings has to be build. These buildings represent the process of bringing the province under full control of the ruling faction. As the province becomes more and more like the faction it belongs to, more and more powerful units become available to recruit. Different factions may be able to recruit different region-specific units. E.g. the Romans can get various Auxiliaries and the Greek can get access to city-specific hoplites, including the renowned Spartans.

Hussarknight
neversommer
Legionary
posted 11 June 2008 08:35 EDT (US)     15 / 19       
Hi guys

I have downloaded that mod where you can play all of the countries or sides which ever you want. So I choose the seuchiles or whatever they called you know the logo with the grey sort of helmet look. They have strong phalanx,elephants and stuff.
I am quite happy with it but pointas(i never can remember their names) egypt and now the greek cities giving me hard time.

I learned quite a bit about growing my city

Ive got quite a bit of land now to..about to attack another 4 cities 2 from egypt and 2 others,the ones with the purple background with the crown on it.

Cheers

LOVE IT NOW
Monkcrazy5
Legionary
posted 11 June 2008 09:43 EDT (US)     16 / 19       
Hello neversommer, and welcome to rome: total war heaven. The people with a crown with a purple backround are the parthians. Pontians-pontus. And you are playing the seleucuids. The seleucuids are a hard faction because of who you are surrounded with. The egyptians start out with fast growing cities, so they will be powerful in no-time. The armenians and parthians have these armoured horses called cataphracts, who are annoying to kill. There are also horse archers who will destroy your phalanxes in no-time. And the armenians have cataphracts archers, who I own with in multi because the can fire arrows and fight just as well. The greeks aren't much to worry about.

You, as the seleucuids, will have pretty much endless money. First, if your using the money cheat, don't, it corrupts your family members and cause riots. Second, crank all of your taxes as high as they can go while still keeping the happiness percent above 75%. Third, start producing militia hoplites in most settlements. Fourth, take Nicomedia and Ancyra, the two rebel settlements near sardis. Fifth, take halicarnassis, and defend your settements! You want to build shrines to hephataeous(?) in your settlements. A couple more things before I tell you a formation. When you make a unit of militia hoplites, how many do you get? And how much money do you have?

Here is a formation that works when defending. You know how when you right click and drag it you get troops in a line? Well start off, when your in deployment mode, by clicking on a unit of militia hoplites in phalanx mode, and hold the right clicker, and drag right until it's in 2 rows. Let go, now grab another unit, go to the right side of the first unit, right click, hold it, and go down until you have formed a right angle. Let go, grab a new unit, and go down the the bottom of the second unit. Go left until you have formed another right angle. Let go, grab a new unit, go to the far left of the third unit, and go up until the bottom is touching the left side of the third unit and the top is touching the left side of the first unit. You should now have a square with the phlanxes all pointing to the outside. You can store things in the middle, but make sure you take everything off skirmish mode, beecause it will run out of the square. I've had many heroic victories with this. This is one of the hundreds of formations, play around see what you can make.

Have fun!
~Monkcrazy5(A.K.A.-[EIL]-monkeycrazy-{optio})

Monkcrazy5

Creator of the maps"of fire and of water"

Livers are icky, he can keep it. I take my heads like any good barbarian-Subrosa
For the love of...leave my liver out of your sig!-Impspy
Oolon Colluphid
Legionary
posted 11 June 2008 11:53 EDT (US)     17 / 19       
there are] Mercenary War Elephants in RTW.
Andalus
Legionary
posted 11 June 2008 12:03 EDT (US)     18 / 19       
No one said there weren't.
neversommer
Legionary
posted 18 June 2008 07:52 EDT (US)     19 / 19       
Hi guys

So well...Oh my god..where to start...well first..The seleucuids are in a bit of a cheeseburger I can say..The egypt's are continously attacking my cities down south..the parthians are gone...the armenians are gone to...I've build my cities now strong and are close to take over south west of where I am...The top part is pretty much taken...

However...There is 1 problem..there is a egyptian city which cause my computer to crash the whole time.After I win the battle...asking me wheter I want to occupy and that stuff..what ever I click..it crashes...I gave up on it and took over around 10 cities within the last 3 days..My cataprancts are damn good..love em...

I tried to take over the city yesterday again..but loost as for a change enemy reinforcement has arrived...That city is now huge...but with the next take it should work out...

Seriously for those who I was surrounded with...it was not easy standing the ground and holding my cities upright...Thanks to my diplomats..the worst was successfully prevented.

I've got my war elephants..and got now the last of the phalanx which I am building right now...

It became a lot of fun...now i wanna take over bit by bit of the egypt's as they are the only ones attacking me at the moment and still are strong...From the red sea all the way to the west I am trying to conquer now...Should be good fun

Ok..gotta go back into the game.

Neversommer

Thanks so much for the advices..It helped a lot
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames