Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.19 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Siege Equipment Guide
Bottom
Topic Subject:Siege Equipment Guide
MrBonzai211
Legionary
posted 14 June 2008 11:44 EDT (US)         
Can someone provided a guide, or directions, for dealing destroying battering rams, unarmored/armored towers, and those annoying cheaters who tunnel under your city walls?
AuthorReplies:
Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 14 June 2008 12:07 EDT (US)     1 / 19       
The best option is to not let the enemy build siege equipment. As soon as they besiege you, sally and try to destroy them.

If that doesn't work, you can sally again next turn. By now the AI will usually have build siege equipment. If you defeat the enemy if will disappear, but you can also order your troops to attack the siege equipment. I don't know if this destroys it tough, never tried it myself.

If you are assaulted artillery and fire arrows are the best way to deal with battering rams and siege towers, because they can put them on fire and thus destroy them. If the enemy has very little infantry you can also task your archers to shoot them. If enough of them die they won't be able to use the siege engines any more and the assault will fail. This once saved me from a Macedonian assault in a Brutii campaign.

I suspect you can also attack sapping pints with your artillery and/or fire arrows, but I am not sure because I have never faced them yet.

Hussarknight
Ischenous
Legionary
posted 14 June 2008 12:57 EDT (US)     2 / 19       
Sapping points get destroyed.
You can use men too but it takes ages.

Calling all new people. USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION before asking a question. Thank you.
Alert the APOCOLYPSE is coming!!!!!!!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM(Itcame)
"TWH Guild Award (Best Duo/Trio) -Ischenous/IJ"- Tryhard. Why he chose that nomination, I don't know...
Andalus
Legionary
posted 14 June 2008 17:22 EDT (US)     3 / 19       
Another point about sallying out each turn: The more you kill each turn, the less build points they have for siege equipment.

If they have any artillery, but for some reason haven't used it, try and kill as many of the crew as possible.
Also, focus on the archers and infantry. without infantry, their cavalry wil be useless.
Unless you have a horse archer force, in which case the archers and cavalry are your prime targets.
MrBonzai211
Legionary
posted 14 June 2008 17:47 EDT (US)     4 / 19       
Why is it then that I can sometimes burn down siege towers but other times (most of the time) I cannot-- even when it an unarmored siege tower. I would think flame arrows would have a larger effect on something all wood.
Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 15 June 2008 04:38 EDT (US)     5 / 19       
Siege towers do not always catch fire when you shoot flaming arrows at them. Sometimes they do, and sometimes they don't. I actually think it's quite realistic, because large pieces of wood don't catch fire easily.

Hussarknight
Xingjianma
Legionary
posted 15 June 2008 08:12 EDT (US)     6 / 19       
Don't let the enemy get a chance to build siege equipments. The great thing about sallies is that you do not have to win the battle, but just whittle the enemy down some, and you can do this more than once. Of course, there's the added bonus that the AI is really stupid in sally battles. But if for whatever reason, you couldn't sally and got assaulted, use fire arrows. If you have stone walls, just concentrate your fire on each ram they have in turn. If stone walls, then just ignore rams and do the siege towers, as the boiling oil from the gatehouse will be able to defend the gate sufficiently.

It's really weird, because when I sally, even if the enemy has built siege equipment, they never bring it along.

.\/
/\ingjianma/
|____
Proud Member of TWH since 2007 and AoKH since 2004
Seleucid AAR|Sarmatian AAR | Spain AAR
Oolon Colluphid
Legionary
posted 16 June 2008 09:13 EDT (US)     7 / 19       
If they have any artillery, but for some reason haven't used it, try and kill as many of the crew as possible
Actually, I think it's an advantage when the enemy has some onagers (or ballista's against a wooden wall) when they attack, because, in my experience, as soon as they've broken through the wall, the AI will throw its entire army through the opening like it does with bridges and doors opened by spies.

By the way, how do you move sapping points? According to the info popup dude you can left click them and drag them to the wall. However, if I move my cursor over the sapping point I get a crossshaped cantdoanything cursor and all the clicking and dragging in the world doesn't seem to have any effect, both during deployment and battle.

A small off topic question by the way. What does the 'wait (3)' button at the beginning of a battle do exactly?

[This message has been edited by Oolon Colluphid (edited 06-16-2008 @ 09:17 AM).]

Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 16 June 2008 09:37 EDT (US)     8 / 19       
The "wait" button allows you to postpone the battle for a day. This can be useful because the weather might be better for you. For example if you have many archers you will want to avoid fighting in rain.

Hussarknight
Oolon Colluphid
Legionary
posted 16 June 2008 09:46 EDT (US)     9 / 19       
Ah, cool. Why archers? What does the rain do to them? I know ballistas and onagers don't work well when wet, but I never noticed archers being influenced.
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 16 June 2008 10:23 EDT (US)     10 / 19       
Lord Oolon, please! Fire.. Water.. the twain do not mix! Thus thy fire-toothpicks launched by thy cowards will not have the same effect.

Also, in our day, few bows were strung with waxed horsehair which all know is impervious to weather. In our day, many were strung with gut- which when wet, lengthens and makes thy coward's bows unusable.

This translates into inferior performance. (Maybe not in our Virtual world, but verily in Real Life).

Also, some warbands fight better in snow. If the day thou choose for glorious melee is snowing and thou art facing these frozen dogs, tis often better to wait a day so the white stuff is gone.

Some generals prefer not to offer battle on foggy days, in the mistaken belief that their spirits will wander in eternal murkiness should they fall. Tis our belief that these lords care not to offer battle upon a field they cannot espy, due to the grey misty cloak.

All of these, and several others, may be considered reason enough to let thy foe breathe a day longer.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII

[This message has been edited by Terikel706 (edited 06-17-2008 @ 04:22 AM).]

SrJamesTyrrel
Legionary
posted 16 June 2008 11:25 EDT (US)     11 / 19       
i seem to notice the rain making missiles less effective/accurate, but this could just be because i spent years playing MTW1 in which rain or even strong wind makes missiles completely useless (and let's not even talk about the early gunpodwer units....)

i've never seen siege equipment appear on a sally against the enemy, and i sally every chance i get?
Oolon Colluphid
Legionary
posted 16 June 2008 19:28 EDT (US)     12 / 19       
i've never seen siege equipment appear on a sally against the enemy, and i sally every chance i get?
Well, I imagine that's why they never had siege equipments yet.

Also, that was quite a promiscuous use of a question mark. ;p
Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 17 June 2008 10:20 EDT (US)     13 / 19       
The AI only builds siege equipment after having laid siege for a turn, so if you sally as soon as they besiege your settlement they won't have any yet.

Hussarknight
DrFuzzy
Legionary
posted 18 June 2008 14:02 EDT (US)     14 / 19       
Without any mods the biggest danger is siege towers on large and epic walls. Both will shoot siege missiles so rapidly that your wall defenders will be shredded before the tower contacts the wall. Either give them something wimpy like militia to shoot at or don't build above stone walls.

Ladders are a joke if your defending units aren't completely outclassed.

Rams are a wonderful opportunity to inflict thousands of casualties for little loss. If you leave a gate breached the enemy will bumrush the phalanx you should have defending and get massacred. Some cities might give you enough space to leave a ballista or skirmishers in position to fire on a crowd trying to push through.

Cavalry are worth keeping for running down a mass of routing units and charging the pile of enemies crowding a breached gate. Send them out a side gate and see if you can get any enemies to follow you. Lead them around the edges of the city and let the arrow towers wear them down.

Time to fight! Time to die! Time to win!
Smackus Maximus
Legionary
posted 19 June 2008 06:20 EDT (US)     15 / 19       
Best tip I can give for siege engines is to have a couple of ballistas in a walled settlement where you believe you are going to get sieged....

When the siege towers reach the stone wall, get your ballistas to fire at the tower as the unit goes inside the tower. The tower will be destroyed before unloading, killing off the entire unit and the tower as well.

Pulled this off just yesterday as the Julii vs the Scipii when they tried to take Athens off me in the civil war.
Andalus
Legionary
posted 19 June 2008 08:23 EDT (US)     16 / 19       
Ladders are a joke
The only advantage is you can send a light unit with ladders to an undefended section of wall, get them up quickly and send them running round to take all the towers and gatehouses.

At least in M2TW they have the advantage that you can run with ladders...

[This message has been edited by Andalus (edited 06-19-2008 @ 08:26 AM).]

Admiral Sushi
Legionary
posted 19 June 2008 10:34 EDT (US)     17 / 19       
Ladders will get your unit up the walls quicker, however, if there is an enemy unit above the ladders, they will shove your unit off the ladders and it will die. I learned this the hard way. Siege towers are slow, but are difficult to destroy if the enemy doesn't have artillery, and that ballista is nice. What's cool is if you push the tower with a poor quality unit and just situate the tower a few feet away from the wall, the ballista will clear away a good portion of the enemy. Make sure towers can't hit it too often.

Scientia potestas est.
"Hello, I_Jedi. We haven't met before, but I just wanted to say, I don't like you. Have a nice day." -- Viceroy Billy
Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 20 June 2008 03:12 EDT (US)     18 / 19       
Another tactic I often use with siege towers is to push a few of them up to one section of wall and let them clear any enemies from it, so you basically use them as artillery. Then you can take the walls without trouble.

Hussarknight
Oolon Colluphid
Legionary
posted 20 June 2008 11:20 EDT (US)     19 / 19       
Is there a great difference between the attack value or amount of ammo of the smaller and larger towers? Because I have, since quite recently finding out that they can fire stuff, tried having two towers shoot at an enemy early legionary cohort at different angles. When they ran out of ammo the number of enemies killed didn't even go into dubble digits...
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames