You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.13 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Biological warfare and blocking
Bottom
Topic Subject:Biological warfare and blocking
Legioner
Legionary
posted 14 June 2008 15:08 EDT (US)         
Found a nice hobby in my RTR Macedonia game. When I was struck by the plague in Macedonia, there was 3 spies in Pella. So, I sent these spies to spy on Thracians, Seleucids and Egyptians. The cities were poisoned and moved along. Soon all enemy cities in Thrace and Asia Minor were diseased.

However, the plan kicked back and Thracians somewhy sent some three spes across north Macedonia. Pella, Bylazora and Philippa (sp?) were plagued. With 2 other family members by most successful general was poisoned in Pella where he came just turn ago to get more troops for war with Seleucids.

To the question, how much you think poisoning cities will affect on AI ability to wage war? And would AI lose much more ability if I blocked as many ports as possible? Thinking that can AI go bankruupt.
AuthorReplies:
Gallowglass
Legionary
posted 14 June 2008 15:17 EDT (US)     1 / 13       
It affects their abilities very little, unless across a period of time and used in conjunction with raids, assassins, and disrupting trade and their diplomacy.

------m------m------
(o o)
(~)

Monkey beats bunny. Please put Monkey in your signature to prevent the rise of bunny.
m0n|<3yz r 2 pwn n00b
Pandar
Legionary
posted 14 June 2008 16:12 EDT (US)     2 / 13       
Hahah, that's awesome, seriously. Plauging people with spies ..

Anyways, if they can't make ships, they won't get to you. That'd be helpful if you're invading Italy from the North and needed to keep the Bruitii\Scippi off your back for a bit. Actually, it's what I'm doing right now in my Germania game.
mikecz
Legionary
posted 14 June 2008 17:39 EDT (US)     3 / 13       
However, the plan kicked back and Thracians somewhy sent some three spes across north Macedonia. Pella, Bylazora and Philippa (sp?) were plagued.
I've had that happen, too. For a while I thought it was kinda cool to plague a bunch of the AI cities, but when they start infecting you in return, it's not so good. I've had largish regions of the map plagued (both mine & AI territories) for YEARS because of plague being traded around. It actually ends up being rather a drag, especially if some of your best people die of it. So I don't do it much any more, unless the plague region is actually quite some distance from areas I control.

Apparently blockading enemy ports cuts their income (sure does ours), but it's up for grabs how truly effective this is. Sometimes, if they're near the end of their line (few provinces), it may prevent them from building or recruiting any more, & thus make it at least a little easier to finish them off. I think it's odd they can still recruit ships in a blocked port. (but then, so can we).
PrivateClark
Legionary
posted 14 June 2008 18:56 EDT (US)     4 / 13       
Whenever i try to do that, my spy always dies the turn before i send him into the city
SubRosa
Legionary
posted 14 June 2008 23:57 EDT (US)     5 / 13       
I had the same thing happen in my Greek XGM campaign over a year ago. I was at peace with Thrace and expanding east through Asia Minor and the Levant. While the Thracians were expanding north and west into Germania. I got the Plague in Macedonia, and decided to send some infected spies north into their cities. Just to keep them weaker than me.

Well, they started sending their own infected spies back. So I started making assassins to kill their spies. It turned into a twenty year Cold War with each of us using spies and assassins against one another. I had a lot of fun with it. Usually RTW is all about armies slugging it out with one another. It was fun to play it cloak and dagger.

You can cripple the AIs economy with things like blockades, and especially assassins performing sabotage. Look at my Defensive Scythia AAR. I used spies and assassins to all but crush Armenia this way. They become so poor that they could not repair the buildings I was destroying. Eventually their cities were nothing but gutted ruins.
Gallowglass
Legionary
posted 15 June 2008 03:37 EDT (US)     6 / 13       
I've never used sneaky tactics to that extent, I always use them to soften a particular few regions for fifteen or so turns max. Had a cold war with spies in almost every city and my spies in all of theirs and a few assassins roaming about the place, though.

------m------m------
(o o)
(~)

Monkey beats bunny. Please put Monkey in your signature to prevent the rise of bunny.
m0n|<3yz r 2 pwn n00b
Bulba Khan
Legionary
(id: stormer)
posted 15 June 2008 03:43 EDT (US)     7 / 13       
In the Greek campaign i just started i haven't trained a single agent in the first 2 years, plus it takes time to get spies from here to there, micro-management

I feel the same way I did after playing Stronghold 2 for about 15 minutes, like it was my birthday and all my friends had wheeled a giant birthday cake into the room, and I was filled with hopes dreams and desires when suddenly out of the cake pops out not a beautiful buxom maid, but a cranky old hobo that just shanks me then takes $60 dollars out of my pocket and walks away saying "deal, with it".
Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 15 June 2008 04:13 EDT (US)     8 / 13       
I'm a big fan of carrying the plague around to other cities. I always make sure to only infect cities I don't plan on conquering anytime, so my generals don't get infected.

For some reason the AI rarely hands the plague back to me, even when I've infected cities bordering on my own regions. I guess I'm just lucky.

You could always put one or two non-plagued spies of your own in your cities to help catch enemy ones. If they can't get in they can't spread the plague.

Hussarknight
Jonny 5
Legionary
posted 15 June 2008 08:24 EDT (US)     9 / 13       
No, ive never tried plague spreading, but it sounds good.
As to blockading ports, im not sure if it affects monetary income, but does anyone know if it reduces the amount of turns a besiged settlement can hold out seeing as it cant resupply by sea?

Oolon Colluphid
Legionary
posted 16 June 2008 09:08 EDT (US)     10 / 13       
Clever idea. However, it sounds like the chance for it backfiring is way too big. If the AI spreads the plague further you might get in a lot of trouble with it ven if they're not actually trying to infect them.
Epicperson
Legionary
posted 21 June 2008 23:31 EDT (US)     11 / 13       
Subterfuge is awesome!

I usually assasinate entire familys to kill off empires.

Infect assasins to give them a second chance at killing a general (if they can't do the job, the plague will)
Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 22 June 2008 12:16 EDT (US)     12 / 13       
As to blockading ports, im not sure if it affects monetary income, but does anyone know if it reduces the amount of turns a besiged settlement can hold out seeing as it cant resupply by sea?
Blocking ports only effects enemy factions on easy and normal difficulty. IIRC the AI gets infinite money on hard and very hard. Also blocking a port doesn't change the time a settlement can resist a siege.

Hussarknight
Jekyll
Legionary
(id: Vault Dweller)
posted 23 June 2008 02:48 EDT (US)     13 / 13       
If you truly plan to crush their economy, send in several light cavalry units into every province and have them sit around on the roads as well as blocking their ports. That way, their land trade is cut as well.
And as you're using a lot of light cavalry, you can have units that are attacked temporarily flee and have other move into the breech.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames