You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.13 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Flames!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Flames!
Diadochius
Legionary
posted 16 June 2008 17:34 EDT (US)         
I was just wondering what are the pros and cons of using firey arrows as opposed to normal ones?

I know that with ballistae flaming artillary makes it flaming impossible to hit anything (lol), but my archers dont seem to suffer any problems with hitting things...

So whats the deal? There must be some sorta catch.
AuthorReplies:
Milambur
Legionary
posted 16 June 2008 17:42 EDT (US)     1 / 13       
your arrows run out faster and there's something else I can't remember
SubRosa
Legionary
posted 16 June 2008 18:00 EDT (US)     2 / 13       
Flaming arrows cause a significant blow to the morale of the unit being hit by them. That is why it is best to use flaming arrows against Elephants and Chariots. They run amok much quicker than when under fire by normal arrows. They are also good against heavily armoured foes because while arrows might not do much to them, the fire effect will again lower their morale and make them more susceptible to rout when you attack them with other units.

[This message has been edited by SubRosa (edited 06-16-2008 @ 07:34 PM).]

Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 16 June 2008 18:38 EDT (US)     3 / 13       
However the aim drops with flaming arrows. It's not as significant as with artillery but it does drop. Personally I stick to normal arrows as concentrated fire from 4-5 archers will cause any unit to wilt with normal arrows, let alone fire arrows.

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

Andalus
Legionary
posted 17 June 2008 15:44 EDT (US)     4 / 13       
Why is it that the AI only ever uses flaming missiles? I've seen them use normal sometimes with Onagers and Ballistae, but never archers.
Gallowglass
Legionary
posted 17 June 2008 15:55 EDT (US)     5 / 13       
Same here. And normal arrows always beat them.

------m------m------
(o o)
(~)

Monkey beats bunny. Please put Monkey in your signature to prevent the rise of bunny.
m0n|<3yz r 2 pwn n00b
SrJamesTyrrel
Legionary
posted 17 June 2008 16:20 EDT (US)     6 / 13       
huh, i see the AI use normal missiles all the time

the biggest difference is reload time - you can get off maybe to and a half or three volleys of regular arrows in the time it takes to fire one round of flames. therefor it is best when faced with an aggressive or ranged oppoenent to counter with normal, not burning. however, fire can be much more effective against armor, assuredly scares elephants/chariots, and generally produces more casualties per arrow.

generally, i switch to fire when attacking or being attacked by a slow-moving, mostly infantry force, or when i would like to see some casualties among the enemy's heavier units like legions and generals. I also prefer fire when i am forced to attack from the front, as normal arrows do little from this angle.
Andalus
Legionary
posted 17 June 2008 16:35 EDT (US)     7 / 13       
i see the AI use normal missiles all the time
Maybe it's just my experience then.
Oolon Colluphid
Legionary
posted 17 June 2008 16:41 EDT (US)     8 / 13       
Same here, the AI only uses flaming arrows against my elephants and maybe chariots, other than that, they always use regular arrows.
SubRosa
Legionary
posted 17 June 2008 19:22 EDT (US)     9 / 13       
I have had the same experience as Oolon. The AI always uses normal arrows against me except when I have Elephants or Chariots. Then they ignore everything else to bring fiery death down on said units.
Jekyll
Legionary
(id: Vault Dweller)
posted 18 June 2008 02:07 EDT (US)     10 / 13       
AFAIK, the bonuses are:

* Morale Damage
* Increased damage?

and the disadvantages are

* Decreased accuracy
* Much longer reload time
* Missiles run out faster.
mintico
Legionary
posted 18 June 2008 03:52 EDT (US)     11 / 13       
Actually it is better to use normal arrow rather than flaming arrow because of their deadlier accuracy which in turn give them more damage. What is the use of deadlier missile if it misses?
SrJamesTyrrel
Legionary
posted 18 June 2008 05:20 EDT (US)     12 / 13       
I actually tried this a while ago with a custom battle that had a slaughter pen "fort", and archers that had range that was nearly infinite. The results were simple:

flaming arrows against peasants killed almost exactly as many enemy as normal missiles.

flaming arrows against warbands (shield protection) killed noticeably more, but still maybe only 5:4.

flaming arrows against Pharaoh's Guard (armor protection) killed MANY more, about 5:3 or even 2:1.

flaming arrows against Armored General Bodyguard (armor and shield protection) killed more than twice as many.

Briton generals were dispatched in half the time by normal arrows, as they already have piss for defense (so it doesn't matter what your attack values are) and the fire was too inaccurate. This was the only instance where normal arrows were favorable in this test.

Basically, because arrows already ignore experience (defense skill) and often ignore shields (from back or rear), the biggest point where the fire bonus is shown is against units that have high, unavoidable defense. The strength required to kill is greater, and so the strength bonus given by the fire is more obvious.

the same text with onagers left little question, as death tolls were nearly thrice with fire as they were with stone.

now, this again involves a nearly stationary enemy fired upon to exhaustion. in battle, the results are not so clean-cut. I tend to favor normal arrows except when i need to scare the enemy.

I also use fire on bridges, where morale is low and the missiles can not help but hit SOMETHING. this usually routs the enemy into my infantry or back into onager/balista/scorpion range.

[This message has been edited by SrJamesTyrrel (edited 06-18-2008 @ 05:23 AM).]

Diadochius
Legionary
posted 18 June 2008 13:32 EDT (US)     13 / 13       
cool. Thanls for the results of your exeriments Lord Tyrell!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames